NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [Update] Passing logic rewrite is ready

By setherick
10/21/2018 11:10 pm
Having played now multiple seasons of 0.4.3 with different QBs of different talent levels, I say scrap all of it and go back to 0.4.2. Here's why:

1) QB decision making SUCKS! -- Who cares if the QB reads multiple receivers if your 100 INT, 100 FOV QB routinely throws into double, triple, quadruple coverage on every down.

2) You can't control game flow. -- Who cares if the QB reads multiple receivers if you can't use plays to isolate defenders anymore since you don't know WHO THE FIRST READ will be.

3) QBs check down all the time. -- Seriously, watch a game. Multiple receivers open down field? Every QB turns into Alex Smith and checks down to a covered RB.

Basically, it's better to know that the QB is reading one receiver at a time than it is to put up with every random, errant pass. No QB skills matter throughout an entire game because QBs are too unreliable to weight anymore.

By Mcarovil
10/22/2018 5:16 am
Any insight to JDB’s plan moving forward? I’d like to know how to proceed with QB acquisition strategy.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/22/2018 11:48 am
I am getting close, I think, to releasing an update to Beta. I've spent most of the last few weeks since the last push to beta making changes that look good in short range testing but have completely fallen apart when I run a full league season. Mostly it has been conflicts between the new code and the older code.

That said, I believe those issues are resolved and I'm now working through probability ranges to get results into a realistic range now. I've made significant changes to not just the passing and route algorithms, but the logic that the QB uses to decide whether to throw to an alternate receiver. This has been looking really good with short tests but like I said it has been breaking in edge cases when running full seasons.

Not making any promises as to whether it will get pushed this week mainly because it just takes so long to run a full season and I'm making small tweaks between seasons, but once I feel like the numbers are at least realistic I'll push the update.

By Mcarovil
10/22/2018 1:31 pm
Great. Thank you for your input.

jdavidbakr wrote:
I am getting close, I think, to releasing an update to Beta. I've spent most of the last few weeks since the last push to beta making changes that look good in short range testing but have completely fallen apart when I run a full league season. Mostly it has been conflicts between the new code and the older code.

That said, I believe those issues are resolved and I'm now working through probability ranges to get results into a realistic range now. I've made significant changes to not just the passing and route algorithms, but the logic that the QB uses to decide whether to throw to an alternate receiver. This has been looking really good with short tests but like I said it has been breaking in edge cases when running full seasons.

Not making any promises as to whether it will get pushed this week mainly because it just takes so long to run a full season and I'm making small tweaks between seasons, but once I feel like the numbers are at least realistic I'll push the update.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/24/2018 6:55 pm
Closing this thread with a new update: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/forums/6/1705