NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version c3ae1e9

By raymattison21
9/10/2019 7:14 pm
setherick wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

“By setherick
9/07/2019 1:01 pm
Here are the problems that I see:

1) Too many knockdowns.
Why) Coverage is really improved, which means that players are staying closer to the man they were covering. The problem here is that technical coverage skills should be modifying a player's game SP, but they aren't. Play is still too dependent on SP vs SP, so players stay close and knockdowns were always based on proximity and not player skill”

the speed vs speed thing does seem the most off . Bump clearly slows recievers down, but if that’s not active the only thing that plays a part is route and if a defender misses there they are playing catch up. Tightening Zone has helped but if they miss they are way out of position as well

The worst is slower guys leave windows for either deep passes for the defense or the offense lets up too many ints. A lot of my ints of recent are throws to my slower players . Like my TEs. I would like to think better reads would help this or better pocket presence (scrambling /intelligence) could find a more viable option in some senerios. I don’t mind the tight windows so much but it has escalated knock downs , drops and ints

Could we reverse or switch the parabolic effect to make a 100 speed player closer to a zero speed player? If I am understanding it correctly that would devalue speed or at least thats what I thought it was installed for in the first place.

Now wrs can play dB and they pick off a lot of passes cause they have speed, intelligence, and pass catching but no cover skill if they are a Nickel or dime defenders facing lower rated wrs . Really cover skill or any technical skill has to matter in other areas. Or speed will always be king. And that not bad but it definitely has shrunk the windows of success

The other problem with knockdowns has, and continues to be, ball placement: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10297#1878790

On the linked play, that pass should be well out in front of the TE who has a step on the defender. That way the TE can reach out and catch it, thus, using his size, catch, and route to his advantage over the smaller, slower defender.

Terrible zone read on the next play. The defender comes up way too far.

I bet it's the play abuse nerfing the qbs accuracy some . 3 plays to one were the counts...that defense had two defenders in the hook. The DE should be assigned to the flat...the rb was wide open and so was the wr1 on the drag, but the qb almost never makes those reads and throws in 4.6.

The 82 punish by the lb is probably why he knocked it down...maybe cause he's a vet with play knowledge . ..

For the next play the big whiffs by zone defenders is the biggest problem with zone right now...well besides most of them ignore flat assignments. Those whiffs should be more active in zone under senerios . ....those deep guys got to stay deep more often and not try to "make a play" which puts them way out of position after the miss.

My wr1 s massive yards are mainly due to these safeties coming up way too far way too often. Cbs in a deep third do it to but not as often as the safties. The best part is they are not even getting targets allowed...compared to man . I played a strict zone all season and my highest guy has only 58. My safties were lucky to get 1 to 2 a game. They get knockdowns and ints but rarely are charged with a target. Probably cause they are missing the mark by a large margin

By setherick
9/10/2019 7:16 pm
I'm going to run as close as I can to a Tampa 2 all next season. I haven't really been watching zone.

By raymattison21
9/10/2019 8:44 pm
setherick wrote:
I'm going to run as close as I can to a Tampa 2 all next season. I haven't really been watching zone.

We have a heavy man HC so playing a strict zone wasn't the best idea, but hooks get real deep and the flats are a little glitchy. Its always nice to get your breakdowns . I want the 3 deep zone to work better as well.

By raymattison21
9/12/2019 6:27 pm
Our defense had 33 knockdowns on 43 in completions with one drop Vs. Philadelphia even with a top db out due to injury . We blitzed none all game and switched to a majority of man under defensive calls. Our wr1 Frese went off for 200+ yards vs. a set of dbs with sub 70 speed.

They ran the ball really well vs. our injured dline. I enjoy that balance here in 4.6, but the difference of 20 to 30 points of speed really blows up the passing stats. Wr1 targets were way down and TE/3rd option passes were forced all game by both qbs.

Something really has to happen with reads. I don't even care about progressions any more I just want my qb to throw to a safer option than double or triple coverage

By raymattison21
9/19/2019 9:24 am
For the playoffs we switched to a much heavier man defense with nice balance of zone. It did pretty well for the first three games, so we wanted to run it I the big game.

I scouted plays and when setting my keys the game got glitchy and I accidentally used the auto setting for everthing . I tried to exit out before it handled everything but my offensive and defensive game plans were rest.

I rarely save them so I thought I was going to be in some big trouble for the game knowing that I was going into the game with an untested plan on both sides.

But to my delight I actually think it caught my opponent off guard as is was mildly different on offense and defensively we tried for a 1 and two deep with some straight man mixed in. My worries we in the blitzing packages we put together , but blitzing in 53% of snaps seemed to do wonders and only get more effective as the game carried on. 5 sacks , 4 ints and like 150 total offensive yards.

My gripe here is the power of the defense. I think we threw 2 or 3 ints as well and there was a set of plays that went like fumble , int, and int. That s 3 Consecutively turnovers. That set senerios should be pretty rare, but a small sample could be to blame.

Still, a lot of this points at the power of certain defensive play styles . I don't think our team is that better but who knows and I swear there's a blitz that's not taking on the overuse penalties . Only cause there's no blitz verbage used unless you look at the palyer assignments

Last edited at 9/19/2019 9:26 am