NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

First, I apologize for my absence - been focusing more on the new UI than the game engine lately. That said, the current 0.4.6 code has been in several leagues for some time now, and I've had a few players reach out to me and suggest that they feel that it is ready to move to all leagues. Other players, I see in the chat, feel strongly against that. I thought I'd take it to a poll. Assuming no significant change to either engine version in the immediate future, would you rather 0.4.6 get pushed to all leagues or keep the engines as they are?

Release 0.4.6 - it's time for an update
Keep 0.4.5 in all leagues - 0.4.6 is not ready for prime time yet

Re: Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

By Lunkan
9/20/2021 7:25 am
I know to litle to vote and is to ill to try to get to know.

Im FOR as much realism as possible :)

By Chicagobears
9/20/2021 2:31 pm
This is just an opinion, but why do I feel like the most of the 4.6 votes are from owners that have never played in leagues outside of the MFN. If so, of course they will pick the former option to limit cheats, I might or might not blame on punt block exploiters in MFN. In leagues run by a player admin, they will commonly use rules to forbid or limit these exploiters (I'm looking also at weight exploiters).

In a league ran by a 4.5 engine, specifically in the GM Football League, take the best offensive team this year in the CJ's Ravens. They had a QB throwing 50 TDs, and a RB who ran and caught each for over 1,000 yards. That shows how good the 4.5 sim engine can be. While the passing numbers are strong this very season in that particular league, there are players who ran over 1,500 yards and players who caught for over 1,500 yards.

In the 4.6 version, you can't even get 3,500 yards which is a common feat in the NFL. You rarely get a QB throwing over 25 TDs in a season, again common feat. The YPA is just putrid, with nearly no one reaching 7.0 YPA, which is again a common feat in the NFL where 14 of the starting NFL QBs last year had 7.0 or over.

In the NFL, only two teams will run the football as much as the 4.6 to get points, that is the Ravens and Derrick Henry. Don't forget the Titans were super good in the deep passing game which will never happen in 4.6 and Lamar Jackson is just Lamar. There is only a trend up for passing the football since the invention of the forward pass. Not only is it more effective than the three run and punt, it also gathers realistic and favorable action to the game.

I enjoy passing the football in my leagues and rarely do I run the football a lot. In 4.5, when the passing game is used more, you get better offensively. In 4.6, when the running game is used more, you get better offensively. So in 4.5, passing the football has a higher percentage than in 4.6 where running the football is used much more often.

Here in a website, it tells the play selection percentages of the NFL in 2020. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2021-02-08 Notice how only 3 teams dipped below 50% of passing of football? Guess who was leading the way... Derrick Henry for the Titans, Cam Newton for the Patriots (who has since passed more this season with Mac Jones), and Lamar Jackson for the Ravens.

Again this is just my opinion, but based on the facts above. 4.5 statistically wise is too strong on the offense and weak on defense while 4.6 statistically wise is too weak on the offense and too strong on defense. I would not update to 4.6 since it would be better to have a good offense like the NFL rather than a good defense. We wouldn't want to go back to the old gritty 70s, do we? No! Of course not, we would rather be modernized in the 2020s. Honestly, if we get something like a 4.55, it would be the best of all of us.

By Infinity on Trial
9/23/2021 3:41 pm
I found some old spreadsheets from when setherick and I were testing beta code. Here's a look at passing plays sorted by average yards per attempt.

For comparison, here's a look at 4.5 plays:

By Infinity on Trial
9/23/2021 3:52 pm
Here's what rushing looked like in beta:

By TheAdmiral
9/24/2021 7:20 am
And after four full seasons in Legends

Season 12 (2111): Gameweek 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bK7RCcsSppLiyoiqg3aLj-TEM3BH3hVHXKZEhPolRE0/edit?usp=sharing

Rushing stas on all run plays now included.

Note Tackles for loss is only for plays with a loss of more than half a yard. There are occasional instances where a short loss (or a short gain) are recorded as zero yards ie somewhere between -0.49 yards and +0.49 yards.

Average rush play got 3.91 yards per play. Some plays are very much personnel dependant, for instance avoid running pitches and tosses if your QB or RB has low avoid fumble. I think Sweep plays need pulling Guards, Tackles, Tight Ends and/or Full backs to have enough speed, acceleration, strength and run blocking to clear a path for the Running Back - and may work better for a RB with less speed but great acceleration who can run behind his blockers until a hole opens up for him to shoot through. Just a theory, may not hold up in practice but worth looking at if you have a RB with less than 80 speed.

Dive plays seem to get good yards when used in contrary scenarios. For example, long down situations with teams in pass defense in these situations the play either gets blown up at the line of scrimmage or the back finds a hole before running into the Safeties after approx 12-13 yards.

Some runs with low average yards are actually very good plays. For example Goal to go from inside the two and short down situations where you need two yards or less. If you can average 2.1 yards in those situations it's a good call but not appear to be.

By Infinity on Trial
9/24/2021 7:35 am
Cross post from community forum:

TheAdmiral wrote:
here's the week 1 rushing stats from Legends, which shows (to an extent) what players have learned and adapted to over four seasons.

By my count, there are 18 rushing plays averaging 4.5+ per carry. I would propose that teams should be more selective in their plays, and run more.

It is especially noteworthy that the most popular play was run 32 times for an average of 8.41 yards per carry.

I would be curious to see numbers from a 5- or 10-game span.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/11/2021 7:15 pm
Ok, it seems that there are strong points on both sides. My hope is that the new 'issues' overcome the bugs that are going to be fixed, so as of today I will begin having leagues roll into version 0.4.6. Thanks for all your feedback!