NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Play overuse, testing, and other comments

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:24 pm
Being forced to use more plays on defense is a good thing.

You can fill all 30 defensive plays without calling any blitzes if you wanted to, so having 30 plays in your defensive playbook is not a legitimate excuse for overusing the blitz.

By setherick
12/30/2017 7:26 pm
WarEagle wrote:

You can fill all 30 defensive plays without calling any blitzes if you wanted to, so having 30 plays in your defensive playbook is not a legitimate excuse for overusing the blitz.

That wasn't my point. My point is that I AM PENALIZED for running a base defense because there are not enough base defense plays to call. If I want to run the Cover 2 Nickle with my LBs in man, which is perfectly reasonable call for EVERY time my opponent lines up in the 113 or 203, then I'm going to get penalized for it after the third time I use it. How is that equally fair as the person that is going to overuse the Nickle Blitz 2 that leaves the DBs in M2M?

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:36 pm
setherick wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

That wasn't my point. My point is that I AM PENALIZED for running a base defense because there are not enough base defense plays to call. If I want to run the Cover 2 Nickle with my LBs in man, which is perfectly reasonable call for EVERY time my opponent lines up in the 113 or 203, then I'm going to get penalized for it after the third time I use it. How is that equally fair as the person that is going to overuse the Nickle Blitz 2 that leaves the DBs in M2M?

It's not.

I'm just pointing out that you can call defensive plays so that you don't get penalized if you wanted to.

The penalty isn't much of a deterrent anyway, so there's no reason not to blitz every play in the test leagues.
Last edited at 12/30/2017 7:37 pm

By setherick
12/30/2017 7:48 pm
Every league...

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:51 pm
That's why I dropped out of all the real leagues.
I don't think it's right (or good sportsmanship) to pull this **** in a real league, even if others are doing it and it's the only way to beat certain teams.

By setherick
12/30/2017 7:56 pm
WarEagle wrote:
That's why I dropped out of all the real leagues.
I don't think it's right (or good sportsmanship) to pull this **** in a real league, even if others are doing it and it's the only way to beat certain teams.

It's basically the only way to beat all teams in beta... QBs destroy everything now if they aren't being sack. ****, even if you sack them 18 times in one game, they can still almost beat you.

By raymattison21
1/08/2018 8:28 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/7507#1354490

Play abuse doesn't work

By setherick
3/11/2018 7:46 pm
Opponent runs the Nickle Normal Double LB blitz 49 TIMES in one game, and he wins. Play over use is a joke. I build a game plan that will trigger that play every time on first and second down, but make sure to use enough plays that I won't get called for overuse, and make sure I have enough variations by situation and other sets so that overuse will still be triggered, and it doesn't matter. Can we just get rid of the failed concept?

Game: https://arena.myfootballnow.com/log/646

By setherick
3/11/2018 8:31 pm
If it's not completely scrapped, here's what I suggest doing with it as a sliding scale:

5-9 times a play is run = +5% to all non-improvable attributes after play call 5 for a total of +25% bonus on play 9

10-14 times = +10% to all non-improvable attributes for a total of +50%

15-x times = +25% to all non-improvable attributes for a total of +100% by play 19 and higher

Allow all player attributes to go over 100, so that a game where your opponent runs the same play 24 times, your team has a whopping bonus of 275% to all non-improvable attributes. This means that any player with 100 in any attribute, now has an attribute score of 375 in that attribute.

I would try simming a few games like the one I posted where teams run the same plan an inordinate number of times using a formula similar to the one I'm suggesting. If it makes a difference, then overuse works. If not, then scrap it. Right now, there is no advantage to the offense and the plays that get flagged as being influenced by overuse would have been big gains anyway.

By setherick
3/11/2018 10:33 pm
My opponent runs a normal defense against the 113 on early downs, which is smart, but then he runs the 4-3 Normal OLB Blitzes all game and MY TEAM GETS FLAGGED FOR OVERUSE ON OFFENSIVE PLAYS: https://die-hard-fans.myfootballnow.com/log/404

And I run for negative yardage. This really must be redone.

Play abuse has gotten worse and not better.

Also, running the ball is just effing awful right now unless your opponent plays a defense that you can exploit. If your opponent blitzes every down, you won't run the ball at all. Even though blitzing should open up running lanes to the outside edge of the field as LBs get swallowed up.

---

Absurd. If overuse really worked, you'd see a gaussian distribution of yardage allowed as the opponent overused the same play on defense.

Opponent Defensive Play - Yardage Allowed
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside -1
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside -11
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside -9
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside 9
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside 4
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside -6
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Inside -8
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside -1
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside 6
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside 2
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside 1
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside -2
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside -7
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside -0
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside -4
4-3 Normal OLB Blitz Outside 19
4-3 Normal SLB Outside Blitz 6
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz 9
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz -1
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz 4
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz 13
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz 28
4-3 Normal WLB MLB Blitz
4-3 Normal WLB Outside Blitz 6
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz -0
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 11
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz -1
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 15
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz -0
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 5
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 5
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 24
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz -1
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 10
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 8
4-3 Under Double LB Blitz 12

On the opposite side of the ball, my team really showed why you're effed if you stay in a base defense all game as my 3-4 2 Deep M2M gave up almost as many yards as all of the blitzes that got thrown my way:

3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 9
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 9
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 21
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 11
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 9
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 1
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 8
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 6
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man 8
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man
3-4 Normal 2 Deep Man

So, play overuse, you get rewarded for blitzing...more.
Last edited at 3/11/2018 10:48 pm