NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Play overuse, testing, and other comments

By raymattison21
3/14/2018 12:49 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
I'm pushing a tweak today to the play overuse logic so it only fires for defensive blitzing plays.

Now , what's your definition of a blitz ?

Any play classified with a LB or CB blitz.

Any reason for not adding safety blitzes ?

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
3/14/2018 1:00 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
I'm pushing a tweak today to the play overuse logic so it only fires for defensive blitzing plays.

Now , what's your definition of a blitz ?

Any play classified with a LB or CB blitz.

Any reason for not adding safety blitzes ?

Sorry, I meant LB or Secondary blitz (I shorthanded it without thinking)

By setherick
3/14/2018 1:02 pm
I'll be creating a game plan that goes 70% M2M, 20 Blitz 1, and 10 Blitz 2 for MFN-1 and Beta-87. I also have situational rules for dropping into Zone, and I will keep those.

I suspect that my sacks will plummet and my interceptions will go up.
Last edited at 3/14/2018 1:03 pm

By Smirt211
3/16/2018 6:45 pm
setherick wrote:
Opponent runs the Nickle Normal Double LB blitz 49 TIMES in one game, and he wins. Play over use is a joke. I build a game plan that will trigger that play every time on first and second down, but make sure to use enough plays that I won't get called for overuse, and make sure I have enough variations by situation and other sets so that overuse will still be triggered, and it doesn't matter. Can we just get rid of the failed concept?

Game: https://arena.myfootballnow.com/log/646

I just scoured through the title game and that's not cool. Michael77 plays a clean game and is a tough competitor and went up against an endless stream of blitzes, particularly the MLB CB #3 one. Scrolling through one can see it utilized in 4 consecutive defensive play patterns. I'm sorry but I wouldn't even consider that a loss if I was that GM and I'd be highly miffed at the lack of playing the game right and fair gamemanship.

By setherick
3/16/2018 7:08 pm
I should not have been overcalling any one play since my plays were set to be called equally right now because of overuse penalties being applied to base defensive plays. If I ended up over calling blitzes, I see that as part of the brokenness of the play matrix that I'm dealing with right now in beta.

By Smirt211
3/16/2018 7:23 pm
I was referring to the Arena League Title game. You weren't involved in that contest.

But I read through the thread and I like all the hard work going into making the game better, the trial and error testing.

By setherick
3/16/2018 7:24 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
I was referring to the Arena League Title game. You weren't involved in that contest.

But I read through the thread and I like all the hard work going into making the game better, the trial and error testing.

I missed the word TITLE in your post the first time. #sleepdeprivationsucks

By setherick
3/18/2018 10:47 pm
Wasn't sure what thread to put this in so I'm putting it here. I'm getting pretty tired of this **** in the standard leagues. Elite QB falls apart under the slightest pressure and a solid OL can't contain a blitz 2 team. Now, part of the game planning mistakes here are mine since I didn't pull any of my 221 plays and I meant to since they are garbage: https://die-hard-fans.myfootballnow.com/box/449

I knew coming into this game that Infinity likes to run the normal blitz 2 against the 230, so I set up a game plan to leave him in that formation all game. AND my OFFENSE got called for an overuse penalty running a 230 sweep against it, but his team never got called for defensive overuse at all.

Basically, blitz 2 plays never incur overuse penalties because they are overpowered, really overpowered.

What irritates me the most are the blitzes that are the most overpowered are the ones most NFL offenses would just destroy. In the previous game against Philly, I faced the Nickle Normal CB3 MLB Blitz and Nickle Normal Double LB Blitz 31 times (!!!!), but what's really ridiculous is that on either of those blitzes, a good QB would immediately hot read to the gap where the blitz was.

In Infinity's game, I faced the 46 Heavy 1 Deep SS MLB and 46 Heavy SS MLB Blitz 18 times. I don't like using either one of those plays because the blitz scheme is completely illogical in that it leaves the middle of the field completely open. And, yet, it works wonders in MFN.

Since overuse obviously isn't going to solve the blitz 2 problem, in 0.4.4, you should implement audibles for QBs with high enough INT to call a hot read that sends a WR to where the blitz is coming from. Then, again, I'm not sure how much this would have mattered in 0.4.3 where my QB should make faster decisions. Or how much of it was due to wobbly passes.

Either way, I can solve some of the game planning problems, but blitz 2 is making the game less and less enjoyable from a game planning or playing perspective.

Finally, you need to push out the defensive play calling fix once we know it's working because my team kept calling random, inappropriate defensive calls, which I assume is because of rule build.
Last edited at 3/18/2018 11:04 pm