NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

[0.4.6] Version f170a68

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
5/30/2019 3:54 pm
Only change here is a reduction in the probability that a QB will throw to a tightly covered receiver. Let me know if you see any meaningful change.

Re: [0.4.6] Version f170a68

By TarquinTheDark
5/30/2019 4:48 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
On could say the db is reacting too quickly off ball. Once the ball is released he completely ignores his assignments . I like this aspect but think not all players should react like this all the time. It's really blowing up numbers in a bad way. IRL alot of these guys would be preoccupied with thier assignment for a longer time. While in zone maybe not, but in man.

Really short passes and quick dump off s like this would be hurt the most vs. Man /blitzes as the pass comes quick in those senerios .

I would like to see blocking function much like man coverage changes where high skill ratings slow will slow defenders some . Not just a win or a loss. After the player gets behind the blocker it's a footrace forcing qbs to rush reads.

If the qb not going to notice/take account for those off ball defenders each release will come with these drastic changes in aligning plays with reads and targets . As the general comments is who wants to do testing and rosters changes just to align things for a successful team. The plays and ratings should dictate that, but it doesn't cause these reads are far from intelligent . Or make any sense to RL football. I could make these throws.

Yes, the hard ones have become easier with the this release , but the easy ones are now harder. I am touching on line play/blocking here cause it would open up different reads at different times throughout the play . Not to mention sacks/pressure is broke pretty bad.

+1. I felt the need to carry this much over from the locked thread. Dead on target, ray.

By TarquinTheDark
5/31/2019 10:29 am
I still saw half a dozen passes into triple coverage last night (or at least double with the third man arriving before the ball).

Interesting game. I was beat on the field, but won 21-6 due to penalties (and one fumble that went across my goal line - shades of Don Beebe.)

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9770#1779300
Last edited at 5/31/2019 10:41 am

By raymattison21
5/31/2019 1:11 pm
TarquinTheDark wrote:
I still saw half a dozen passes into triple coverage last night (or at least double with the third man arriving before the ball).

Interesting game. I was beat on the field, but won 21-6 due to penalties (and one fumble that went across my goal line - shades of Don Beebe.)

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9770#1779300

I noticed that too, but it seemed less often than the first three games. One thing that stood out was the lack of wr1 targets/production and some CB 1 knock down numbers . WR2 and the third options did better. A guy on Philli killed vs. A Wlb playing NB for like 24 targets and 15- 17 catches and fast te on Cincinnati torched the slow defenders for a lot of catches and yards.

My backs seemed to be targeted more, but we faced a faster defense and slotted our TES at wr3 due to injuries . One game that had teams throw alot of passes, and like 7 or more combined ints and 17 sacks....Alot from LBs...most likely blitzes (but I didn't have time to check themlog). Most other games with balanced plans had 1 to 2 total sacks. From DTs. So, something is different there too.

Imo , alot has changed , but mostly in knockdowns . ..we play a low blitz scheme and got one hurry and 3 knocksdowns all game. Teams who got knockdowns and sacks were playing more man. So, zone is weak at driving those senerios or man is still too strong . But is it the qb causing this or man or some balance of both.

The other big change is how and where effective pressure is coming from. It would change reads cause the pressure or play choice to beat it is quicker passes . I didn't necessarily see blitzes picked up and the qb look for an open guy, but more of a rushed pass that was off the mark or a poor read was what was seen in those senerios .

The pressure seems too low for DEs and more for LBS now, but I like where lbs are at. Still, I don't like how qbs are handling the pressure or how coverage in man is stifling all that.

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
6/01/2019 8:08 am
raymattison21 wrote:

I noticed that too, but it seemed less often than the first three games. One thing that stood out was the lack of wr1 targets/production and some CB 1 knock down numbers . WR2 and the third options did better. A guy on Philli killed vs. A Wlb playing NB for like 24 targets and 15- 17 catches and fast te on Cincinnati torched the slow defenders for a lot of catches and yards.

I saw throws in double coverage quiet often.

Throughhe first 4 games, it loks like my WR1 (whoever it is) has a hard time catching the ball, an WR2 and others are doing from ok to good. Isit a trend ?

i noticed this strange alignment where the NT is ON the center seeveral times.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9785#1782264
Last edited at 6/01/2019 8:18 am

By raymattison21
6/01/2019 2:21 pm
Ragnulf-le-maudit wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

I saw throws in double coverage quiet often.

Throughhe first 4 games, it loks like my WR1 (whoever it is) has a hard time catching the ball, an WR2 and others are doing from ok to good. Isit a trend ?

i noticed this strange alignment where the NT is ON the center seeveral times.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9785#1782264

Those guys that look off sides there are dbs in bump and run alignment . Honestly , I think wr1 and TE production is down Only cause it's the strong side. Alot of guys are in the same area by the time the pass comes.

Weak side runs are the same as weak side passes . ...easier....... or I see no benefit to pick a strong side play unless the defense is in zone or your targeting a 4th or 5th option. If we made the weak side the primary targets more you see more nfl like numbers as QBs just can't seem to tell who is open when there are more defenders near the target.

One thing to note is the talent. Wr1 and CB1 are generally the elite talent and most guys slot them as the 1. So, the wr1 position being down might relate to the better dbs he's facing. Same goes for wr2 . Some guys are putting their best wr at wr2 , but is the defense doing the same?

So , I see two elements here that could cause the qbs to force a bad throw (and I am saying force with a reference regarding a safe or better choice ) one being the reads and how good the cb 1 is.

Still, I wish qbs could check back to the primary (wr1 or any) if the qb kinda knew he would clear the LB in the hook zone for a decent gain. Pending the other guys were covered enough and blocking was good enough.

This kinda happens , but I have to select certain plays . Perhaps making hot reads available vs. Any play...not just blitzes might help qbs make correct quick reads.

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
6/03/2019 10:06 am
Another thing i've noticed is the efficiency of slants. It looks like it's difficult to stop.

By raymattison21
6/03/2019 1:15 pm
I am starting to think not much else matters for receivers and cover guys is positioning. The skills help keep you there but the RNG favors the fast guy alot still .

Both my picks were slower yet skilled TES vs. Faster and less skilled dbs. There were in better position to make a play .

Same goes for the RB playing db that game. He picked some off he knocked some down . He let up big plays, yes but he shouldn't make as many big plays either.

I am not saying the game engine shouldn't act this way but it doesn't reflect defaults in terms of production of stats. Happening to be in a good spot (or a bad read by the qb) is what makes impact plays on defense

By Beercloud
6/03/2019 1:30 pm
It's only been 5 game now but I have a good comparison on a couple of QB's.

Both QB's are somewhat similar in ratings and both have are very familiar with the plays in the game plan that hasn't changed since jdb asked us to test the pass game. All game plan info is in my first post. https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/forums/6/1824?page=1

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/team/23

QB1 Thomas https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/player/14000
Accuracy - 80
Arm strength - 80
Pass release - 77
Look off - 72
Vision - 100
Intel - 72
Displ - 92

87-183 1173 yds 8 TD 2 Int 6.41 yds per att and 11 sks

QB2 Jones https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/player/11920
Accuracy - 100
Arm strength - 63
Pass release - 88
Look off - 93
Vision - 100
Intel - 75
Displ - 96

66-132 1009 yds 9 TD 11 Int 7.64 per att 5 sks

After game 8, I'll go through the TD's and Int's and try to make sense of it then. But thought that it was interesting to see the comparison(thanks to a rare QB injury) of two fairly equal QB's with the same GP have different results in the TD/Int ratio. The only thing that sticks out is the arm strength which might explain the recent success' in the slants.
Last edited at 6/03/2019 1:33 pm

By raymattison21
6/03/2019 1:32 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9800#1785107

This zone play has the ss in the flats so the mlb gets the hook and the wlb gets the curl/flats on the side the way this pass came. He had the hook covered but he didn't try to make a play ? The mlb drifted far from the hook zone and the ss covered the same zone. Alot of holes for the qb to pick apart.