NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version ed778b7

By raymattison21
8/01/2019 6:20 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10027#1828634

This flanker drag should be an easy completion for he qb and wr1. Being a long pass I am not sure what pattern the qb is waiting for to complete so he can make a proper read?

Blocking breaks down quickly , possibly due to the pass key, but my rt had 100 pass block , but the rookie rg , who let up the sack , with 63 was a little over matched. The qb is slow, but all my qbs are the slowest players on my team?

Still, the te, back, and wr1 were all open for a quick pass and the wr1 was the primary . Maybe the qbs 80 FOV came into play, but how much reading does he have to do if the wr1 is already the primary target and wide open.

The TE would have been a great hot read as well. Maybe it's time to revisit what happened to hot reads from 4.3 till now.

It a long pass so I will chalk this up to it being a long pass and the qb was still doing his 3 step drop and never go a chance to make any reads, let alone a good one.

By raymattison21
8/02/2019 4:57 pm
I have 6 Dbs with 85+ speed and 85+ zone. Three of them have 100 zone and punish so, we see what they can do in a strict all zone defense . My OLBs have 100 zone and punish so I am expecting some level of success with this change. Maybe not this game, but as the season progresses and we get our familiarity up.

Along with spacing of zone defenders I will be watching how the LBers and Dbs handle the run game. Playing strictly a man under with 30% blitzes from mid last season up to now has won ever game.

Three preseason games shows a little bit higher numbers vs. Balanced man under/heavy man defenses. That's pretty good but I don't think zone will compete in terms of overall effectiveness .

I have found it hard to criticize the latest zone spacing changes. Nice work Jdb! I ve seen a few questionable ones but I want to wait for the regular season so I can correctly stats easier. But really pre snap alignments , keys, and other general coverage/passing glitches will most likely be touched on again as well.

By TarquinTheDark
8/03/2019 9:37 am
raymattison21 wrote:
I have 6 Dbs with 85+ speed and 85+ zone. Three of them have 100 zone and punish so, we see what they can do in a strict all zone defense . My OLBs have 100 zone and punish so I am expecting some level of success with this change. Maybe not this game, but as the season progresses and we get our familiarity up.

I have a premonition. That's going to be fun for you and nobody else. :)

By raymattison21
8/03/2019 5:46 pm
TarquinTheDark wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

I have a premonition. That's going to be fun for you and nobody else. :)

We blitzed on 23 out of 59 plays. Probably around 40 % of all snaps. We faired well but I saw a few strange things. One good thing is pass knock downs were way up for zone defenders as they must be covering closer than ever before.

Breaking down plays is fun for me. The winning aspect was is there, but if it were I would still play man on the outside in deeper senerios in spread sets Which is counter intuitive in comparison to how I see successful senerios pan out here and comparing that to the nfl.

One big thing is the off ball defenders. That actually act completely opposite from the nfl zone and man schemes. I will dig deeper on that subject after the regular season starts. But this game had enough of them to change the outcome significantly. In the favor of man

By raymattison21
8/04/2019 4:59 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10043#1831412

The CB1 had OK position , but once the qb releases the ball he continues covering his zone and not the ball.

This example is very obvious . .. but there's no reason to cover like that after the pass is thrown, but I noticed this often but not so obvious. The player has 100 zone.

Really zone defenders should be reading the qb and receivers in their zone and reacting quickly to make a play sometimes even before the ball is thrown. The qbs look off should counter this pretty well though .

While man defenders are reading the recievers only and should not break off their assignments once the ball is thrown. Some are great and can make plays off the ball, but it's hard to read the qb when your in trail coverage and technically your back is to him.

Our engine does the complete opposite in these senerios. It really hurts the balance of zone and man play favoring man only cause the off ball defenders are reacting quicker once the ball is thrown.

There's some parts of 4.6 I really dislike but I think this would be a very beneficial change for the for the engine at this stage. It's obvious and should be easy to fix.....I am guessing

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
8/05/2019 4:18 am
raymattison21 wrote:
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10032#1829363

On this slant the defense has a safety deep in zone. Granted the wr and qb are top tier players and the cb2 and safety have elite cover skill but are sub 70 speed.

The play looked snuffed out by the defense , but the CB2 loses position when the ball is thrown and the safety gambles for an int/knockdown and misses big putting him 10 yards behind the wr.

The CB2 is too slow to recover and it's a td. I don't know how often Dbs go big and whiff bad like this, but I almost think it should be taken out or at least lowered alot. To me it looked like he was already in position to make a play on the ball , but to end up ten yards behind the ball just seems too far.

These gambles by Dbs would be better reserved for players with deep help behind them. The safety being the only deep help should almost never do this. Under coverage could gamble like this, but not end up so far away from the ball after a big miss.

I agree this happens too often.

By raymattison21
8/05/2019 8:34 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10043#1831415

This play the CB1 continues to cover the deep left third until the pass is incomplete . All the other deep zone defenders reacted once the pass was thrown . Perhaps it's some kind of bug going on with the targeted defender?

By raymattison21
8/05/2019 8:58 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10043#1831438

On this play the TE is the benefactor of a good read and throw. One issue I have is similar to the other plays as the LBer continues deeper in to his zone even after the pass is thrown . The other is it looks as if he stops once the pass is caught by the TE.

Pretty good initial coverage but bad techniques from a 98 zone defenders with 100 punish.

Not to get off point but the TE had 40 route and the qb led him perfectly , but it seemed like the qb picked a point to throw to and the TE just reacted . Route should dictate that cut outside...he just turned 90° on a dime losing no speed.

And the LDE shoulD have slowed the TEs release here. Or a neutral key should do this. It would slow the pressure of DEs some and allow Tackles to get into position to pass block. DTs invert the pocket and are getting most of the sacks .

Really the DEs bump should be rolled vs. The TEs in senerios like this. Pass blocking is rough with qbs not scrambling , and who gets sacks is wacky.

By TarquinTheDark
8/05/2019 9:28 am
raymattison21 wrote:

This play the CB1 continues to cover the deep left third until the pass is incomplete . All the other deep zone defenders reacted once the pass was thrown . Perhaps it's some kind of bug going on with the targeted defender?

Is it possible he was looking at that WIDE open weak side slot receiver causing him to miss the release?

By raymattison21
8/05/2019 11:42 am
TarquinTheDark wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

Is it possible he was looking at that WIDE open weak side slot receiver causing him to miss the release?

Wow! That's kind of funny , maybe the slot would have ended up in his zone if the qb didn't throw to the wr1 first. It actually looks like he's traveling to the deep middle on a good angle to cut off the slots deep slant/post.

Still, that's one **** of a look off by the qb then, and the wr1 is targeted after the end route senerio which sends him into the RBs pattern. Eventually that would be three recievers in the same area.

The wr1 should have continued in the same direction on his drag and perhaps slowed to find and soft spot in the zone. Easy completion there but that's what this zone play gives up to defend the deep thirds better.