NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

[0.4.6] Version 173c125a

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/31/2019 11:57 am
Tweak to speed - reducing the difference between speed of 0 and speed of 100

Re: [0.4.6] Version 173c125a

By TarquinTheDark
12/31/2019 12:39 pm
I know this is the beta forum where we make observations based on results, but ... I have a good feeling about this.

By CrazyRazor
12/31/2019 2:21 pm
Perfect Timing!!! Right after I say, "Speed is the only thing that matters in this game", in a forum chat.

At least something is finally getting done about it.

By CrazyRazor
12/31/2019 2:37 pm
If you're going to work on this, I agree with IoT that you should re-evaluate how the sim produces players. OL & DL should NEVER reach 100 Speed.

By raymattison21
1/01/2020 8:30 am
CrazyRazor wrote:
If you're going to work on this, I agree with IoT that you should re-evaluate how the sim produces players. OL & DL should NEVER reach 100 Speed.

speed is severely tied to weight. No one has 100 speed for any substantial period of time as weight trends away from the lowest possible generated . Yes, a player can come in at 170#s and 99 speed but theres no way to make him 100 after that

i honestly wonder if i trend all my guys to the smallest possible postion and pass the majority of the time on offense it will work best. I actually prefer to grind it out under 4.6 , and Puns tactic of using oline as RBs will be more legit as a said exploit. Only caulse this change will effect the whole game...... especially if it is strong enough to align 40 times closer to the nfls. KRs, PRs, and QB scrambles should see an effect as well, but like I said if its strong enough.

Pushing 40 times in to smaller range by increasing the speed of the zero is almost the same thing as generating players with minimums for speed through each position. But like IoT said a range of 6.8 to 4.2 fourty yard dashes should be some sort of goal.

Test years ago had guys topping out around .5 seconds too slow . To me that puts our slowest guys at 7 or 8 seconds...not 9 or more like now. Cause and effect should make the bottom for a 50 speed DBs would be upped as well. My calculations have them in ranges above 6 seconds...if that was lowered coverage could be loosened and the underneath game should be the easier read for the qb.

To me generating minimums is almost the same as upping speed for a zero score, but the latter is probably a gentler appoach. Nodoubt this direction will need follow through.

i watched the 93' game ,miami vs. dallas , in the snow. Deberg and Aikman are not the most mobile QBs and watching them play in those wheather condition looked like our current code. Deberg is so slow and the snow messed with speed, but i saw him drop back run right into the defense. just like 4.6, but deberg was one of the most sacked qbs irl and pretty slow. FB keith byars out ran CB Kevin smith, but were not playing in snow ever game but it looks like it with all the nerfs to speed.

My main point is we have pushed the non static ratings so far in order to compensate for the expanded range of speed. Those areas will need to be toned back in conjuction with this speed change, and the more we tone it back the further that speed scale can be compressed and aligned with the nfl. Algining defaults ratings more with actual success.

My main test will be to see how far the speed scale has actually changed from years ago, but for some reason my hopes are that acelleration becomes more valuable as a biproduct of this change.

By raymattison21
1/02/2020 3:33 pm
My 308# LG with 45 speed and 18 acceleration is my slowest player. Well, besides the K who was kicking off on this test so i couldnt measure him. I created a scale using my 95 speed 84 acceleration 191# CB who has near elite speed and let us say he runs a 4.3 or so as the fastest player that has trended in wieght in this game is 96/96 and should run a 4.2 or so is the top of the scale, but as alaways there some variance.

The only reason the top matters is cause you can look down and see in comparison what that slow LG ran. It is speculated some as i measured 5 yard and 35 yrard splits and adjusted accordingly for 40 times.

I clocked him at 6.8 to 7.2 seconds . Despite his low speed there are slower guys and cause of his even lower acceleration he actually recovered a bit after the 5 yards split.

In game play i thought i noticed suttle differences but nothing too amazing was seen. Well, i couldn't block any punts vs. a LBer punting so thats something in the realm of punt blocks.

If our slowest guys were 9 seconds in the 40.... years ago this recent change maybe pushed it down to 8 second 40s. Still, the slowest NFLers run 6 second 40s. Were at least two seconds still off.

Just guessing but 50 speed should be a minimum to get anywhere close to NFL numbers...were not even using half the scale of a 100. Commentor Rich Esien ran a 6 second 40...hes in this game and shouldnt be, but he might have 100 cover skill and be rated 75 default overall as well. Look good but worthless, and trying to make him worth something is ruining the game.

Passing already looks harder with this tweak and if the scale is compressed enough we could loosen up that area.

By TarquinTheDark
1/02/2020 4:35 pm
Early impressions ...

Both passing and rushing looked harder for speed freaks; but skilled receivers, FBs, TEs, and OL converts that still put a hand on the ball occasionally were all doing much better.

41 sacks week 1 vs. 25 sacks week 2 across the league.

Slant routes are still the $ plays.

Came up empty on punt blocks again, but not by much. I'm going to try tweaking my scheme before I make any further comment.

If zone defense saves energy, and that isn't factored into the code, it SHOULD be.
Last edited at 1/02/2020 4:38 pm

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/02/2020 4:44 pm
TarquinTheDark wrote:
If zone defense saves energy, and that isn't factored into the code, it SHOULD be.

Fatigue is calculated by the speed of the player relative his max among other things, so yes, a player in M2M will get fatigued more than one playing zone.

By raymattison21
1/02/2020 4:48 pm
TarquinTheDark wrote:
Early impressions ...

Both passing and rushing looked harder for speed freaks; but skilled receivers, FBs, TEs, and OL converts that still put a hand on the ball occasionally were all doing much better.

41 sacks week 1 vs. 25 sacks week 2 across the league.

Slant routes are still the $ plays.

Came up empty on punt blocks again, but not by much. I'm going to try tweaking my scheme before I make any further comment.

I am pretty sure we have jogging and sprinting so zone should already have a slight benefit towards fatigue. Which isnt that strong for small guys... Zone guys are still jumping routes bad and that doesn't help defending slants.

Sacks are interesting our qb has only arm and some speed but he was 1/1 for like 28 yards on that rollout play. Were definitely leaving that play for a few games

By setherick
1/02/2020 8:04 pm
My thoughts on this since I'm not playing in MFN-1 right now: It's not going to work.

Here's why. Pass defense is still based on the proximity of the defender to the ball in flight and the receiver. By normalizing SP, you're going to end up with MORE knockdowns since defenders will be closer than ever now.

This is after the coverage updates that moved the defenders closer to the receiver to improve coverage, which resulted in too many knockdowns last season.