NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Volatility exposure

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
4/29/2016 5:59 pm
mrfakename wrote:
There still will be no tell on the boom or bust. Just the volatility. It was always there just not in plain sight. To me the change would allow the less mathematically inclined to partake with ease. I could be wrong but a 50/100 has the same or slightly higher volatility as a 45/90?

Volatility is the rate that the 'future' values change. Many players don't change, other change dramatically. You're right that there would be no tell whether the volatility indicates a boom or a bust, but it might increase the number of booms that actually get noticed.

By Black Adder
4/30/2016 3:59 am
Just to clarify JDB,

If a player does get hit with the Volatility stick, is it 50% he`ll boom and 50% he`ll bust always, regardless of how high or low his Volatility attribute is?

Does a player with Volatility of 100 ALWAYS boom or bust?

How does this factor in with the AI picking players for the que in the Draft War Room,is Volatility going to be a condideration?

4/30/2016 7:21 am
Black Adder wrote:
Just to clarify JDB,

If a player does get hit with the Volatility stick, is it 50% he`ll boom and 50% he`ll bust always, regardless of how high or low his Volatility attribute is?

Does a player with Volatility of 100 ALWAYS boom or bust?

How does this factor in with the AI picking players for the que in the Draft War Room,is Volatility going to be a condideration?

If a player has a volatility of 0, his future rating would probably never change. The closer the volatility gets to 100, the greater the potential movement would be.

I would have to come up with a way to include volatility in the draft options, right now I'm thinking of maybe two options to set the range of volatility settings that interpolates through the draft (i.e. you might want to set 0 to 100, so the higher rounds are lower volatility and the later rounds are higher), but haven't settled completely on how to handle it.

By Black Adder
6/27/2016 11:36 am
JDB,

New draft class,can`t see this new Player Volatility score.

6/27/2016 11:58 am
You're right, I was going to turn that on at the end of the season - I've turned it on! Let me know if you all think it adds or detracts form the draft and free agency, and I'll make a call as to whether to keep it based on your feedback.

By lellow2011
6/27/2016 12:42 pm
It should be interesting, not sure I like the change but we'll see how it works out. It does add to the draft strategy.

By Morbid
6/28/2016 8:58 pm
nvm
Last edited at 6/28/2016 8:59 pm

By JCSwishMan33
7/08/2016 12:26 am
So I have two questions, having been futzing around with looking at ratings and such all through this Draft and through other player moves:

1) Is Volatility itself volatile? I.e., a player crests his career peak... Does his volatility rise as a warning that his stats will be dropping ("busting") within a few years?

2) Will Volatility ever be "exposed" in the .CSV downloads available?

7/08/2016 5:39 am
I am toying around with the idea of making volatility move during a oalyer's career, that would be a future update.

The csv will include the volatility if we decide to keep it, which I think we will. I like what it's done in the draft so far.

By CCSAHARA
7/08/2016 7:55 am
I like the idea of volatility but it looks like it is just making the draft a total **** shoot. If I draft a top tier player and he has say a 90 on volatile and then busts big time. A scouting department would have minimized the chance of that happening. [ yes, I know it happens in the NFL Johnny Football, Ryan Leif] but also remember that top teams with top scouting departments don’t make those mistakes often. Would it be possible to have a scout that would effect that like we have coaches?