NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Play overuse, testing, and other comments

By setherick
3/12/2018 7:22 am
More overuse BS in this game: https://mfn19.myfootballnow.com/log/4982

My team got flagged for overuse TWICE on a passing play I used 6 TIME! That means that 2 of the 3 times overuse COULD have been called it WAS called. But my opponent NEVER got flagged for overuse on a blitz that he ran 9 times and another that he ran 10 times.

Stupid.

By setherick
3/12/2018 7:44 am
setherick wrote:
If it's not completely scrapped, here's what I suggest doing with it as a sliding scale:

5-9 times a play is run = +5% to all non-improvable attributes after play call 5 for a total of +25% bonus on play 9

10-14 times = +10% to all non-improvable attributes for a total of +50%

15-x times = +25% to all non-improvable attributes for a total of +100% by play 19 and higher

Allow all player attributes to go over 100, so that a game where your opponent runs the same play 24 times, your team has a whopping bonus of 275% to all non-improvable attributes. This means that any player with 100 in any attribute, now has an attribute score of 375 in that attribute.

I would try simming a few games like the one I posted where teams run the same plan an inordinate number of times using a formula similar to the one I'm suggesting. If it makes a difference, then overuse works. If not, then scrap it. Right now, there is no advantage to the offense and the plays that get flagged as being influenced by overuse would have been big gains anyway.

Also, as I have advocated for a long time now, this should only apply to blitzes on defense. There is no reason to punish a team for being in base defense when there are not enough base defense plays in any playbook.

By raymattison21
3/12/2018 9:07 am
Was positional limits of pre draft player generation for speed aND strength every tried? It seems to be a root cause to alot of said problems with visual gamemplay.

By setherick
3/14/2018 6:53 am
More overuse ridiculousness. My opponent ended up calling the Nickel Normal Cover 2 19 times this game, which was a perfectly reasonable game plan since a Cover 2 Man is a PERFECTLY NORMAL base defense. The result? My opponent ended up getting penalized repeatedly for running a base defense: https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/log/1082

That's right. Play overuse. It forces you to blitz.

In fact, here's the steps to abusing play abuse:

1) Scout your opponent's defense
2) Note which play types your opponent runs that are M2M with no blitzing that your opponent only has a few plays in
3) Build your game plan in such a way that your opponent gets forced into calling those few plays over and over again
4) Profit from all the play overuse calls in the second half

Team runs a lot of blitzes? Don't bother because overuse will not be called. This, by the way, I'm almost certain, is the reason why WarEagle quit.
Last edited at 3/14/2018 6:58 am

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
3/14/2018 9:00 am
I'm pushing a tweak today to the play overuse logic so it only fires for defensive blitzing plays.

By setherick
3/14/2018 9:40 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
I'm pushing a tweak today to the play overuse logic so it only fires for defensive blitzing plays.

Whoo! Finally. Now, if you could make the overuse penalties 10-25x worse for blitz 2 plays that get overused. Then blitz 2 would really be a gamble. :)

Also once this is live in all the leagues, I'll make it a point to write "Advanced Defensive Game Planning - Part 4 - The All M2M".
Last edited at 3/14/2018 9:46 am

3/14/2018 9:57 am
setherick wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Whoo! Finally. Now, if you could make the overuse penalties 10-25x worse for blitz 2 plays that get overused. Then blitz 2 would really be a gamble. :)

Also once this is live in all the leagues, I'll make it a point to write "Advanced Defensive Game Planning - Part 4 - The All M2M".

All right ... let me remove some limits - including my logic for blocking overuse penalties for non-standard offensive personnel - now that non-blitzing plays are no longer being included in overuse penalties.

(BTW, let me know if you notice any overuse penalties on non-blitz defenses, that would mean that my logic is not properly filtering those plays out)
Last edited at 3/14/2018 9:58 am

By raymattison21
3/14/2018 11:51 am
jdavidbakr wrote:

Now , what's your definition of a blitz ?

3/14/2018 12:42 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Any play classified with a LB or CB blitz.

By setherick
3/14/2018 12:44 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Any play classified with a LB or CB blitz.

Given that the 4-3 play ratio of M2M plays to blitz plays is like 1:25, I'm fine with that definition.