NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Who broke running

By Davesgang
12/23/2014 12:20 am
Speaking of broken tackles. I'm seeing allot of qb's making plays with defenders right in front of them or on top of them. Adjusting this would be a quick way to bring some of the passing stats back down.

By WarEagle
12/23/2014 7:28 am
If there were no passing stats there would be no stats.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/23/2014 8:14 am
WarEagle wrote:
If there were no passing stats there would be no stats.

That's not 100% true, the running game will work, just not as good as it should. I just had a 96-yard rusher in today's sim.

I have a version in testing right now that looks promising, I want to run it for a little while longer just to make sure it's balanced over a large sample set. This update increases the impact of the OL vs DL a little bit more than it's been up till now, if you have had a successful running game in the past with a weak OL you probably won't see an improvement with this patch, but if you have a good OL you should see an improvement.

No promises whether this patch will be in place by the Christmas Day sim, I'll post here once it's ready.

By Morbid
12/24/2014 11:55 am
Davesgang wrote:
Speaking of broken tackles. I'm seeing allot of qb's making plays with defenders right in front of them or on top of them. Adjusting this would be a quick way to bring some of the passing stats back down.

I think an ability like pocket presence would be good a good skill to add to future QB's instead of QB's with defenders on them constantly making perfect throws consistently

By WarEagle
12/24/2014 12:04 pm
LOL. My QBs don't make perfect throws when nobody is near!

By Morbid
12/24/2014 12:42 pm
WarEagle wrote:

haha.. I hear ya.

I dont know how many times I see on 3rd down a QB with all kinds of pressure throwing the ball with 3 defenders practically on top of him for a perfect pass to a wr with a couple defenders on him. Mostly late in games

By Firefly
12/25/2014 12:00 pm
Morbid wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

haha.. I hear ya.

I dont know how many times I see on 3rd down a QB with all kinds of pressure throwing the ball with 3 defenders practically on top of him for a perfect pass to a wr with a couple defenders on him. Mostly late in games

I'm with you there. I'd like an imminent hit to affect the QBs accuracy more.

I also like the idea of increasing broken tackles with a huge BUT. The BUT is it should only apply to RBs, and not to WRs. WRs already break enough tackles for huge gains in my opinion. Don't know if too much, but certainly enough.
Last edited at 12/25/2014 12:01 pm

By chinaski
12/25/2014 9:29 pm
I wish we had more detailed statistics... but from what I can tell from watching all the games, is that completion % for passes over 20 yards is waaay to high. Just look at Lyons, he's on pace for 9,000 passing yards. Whats the nfl average for 20+ completions? Like 20%? And the high end for YPC is 12 yards, Lyons has to be twice that.

Running still looks bad imo, but I dont have a very balanced plan right now. Since my season is lost, ill work on a more balanced approach and see if I can get running working again.
Last edited at 12/25/2014 9:30 pm

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/26/2014 10:13 am
There is a decrease of accuracy with an imminent QB hit but I've had a ticket for a while to evaluate that and just haven't gotten to it yet. The accuracy does also decrease for longer passes - so again, that may be something that I need to evaluate again if it's enough. I have a number of ideas to tweak the pass game/pass defense that haven't been implemented, but these are good comments and I'll be sure to reference this thread as I work through those.

Good thought on the breaking tackles - I'm actually right now tweaking that algorithm (that's part of the adjustment I'm trying to get, it's not pushed up yet because I'm still not happy with the balance in my testing - that and run blocking). I like that observation, though, and will consider the best way to implement that into the engine.

By Morbid
12/26/2014 10:33 am
No complaints for me on last game. I ran for over 200 ys on 30 carries.

There are a few formations that are just useless to run the ball in all the leagues and its just a matter of finding what plays work IMO. I find its usually the DT that busts up the inside run game so maybe its more of a blocking assignment problem then actually tweaking the HB. More times then not the FB will also ignore him and be moving to the next tier of defenders.