NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.5] Version 8683448

By shauma_llama
4/10/2019 8:44 pm
setherick wrote:

3) The idea that WRs would have a HARDER time catching LONG passes is just dumb.

Seems like I see a lot of long passes just off the fingers tips, or just overthrown, or plain dropped by receivers on long passes. Passes where you know if they catch it, it's a TD. But I don't have stats to back that up, it's just a feeling. Seems like the more wide-open a receiver is IRL, the more likely they are to drop the ball.

By shauma_llama
4/10/2019 8:47 pm
Ragnulf-le-maudit wrote:
very bad read. The slot Rc is wide open and gives a first down, the qb throws to the short route on 3rd and 9.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9405#1713158

That's 0.4.5 for you. The back coming out of the backfield is always the primary regardless of what the play says. Maybe the secret is to go 5 WR so you don't have any backs coming out of the backfield. But considering this is a play-test league, that's not really our purpose here.

By shauma_llama
4/11/2019 6:43 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/9608#1749116

Watch the "decision making" of my QB here. At 11:47 he's got a receiver breaking towards the center of the field who couldn't be more wide-open, yet Mr. 100 FoV doesn't see him and throws into double-coverage (triple by the time the ball gets there) and gets picked.

Now, if you were to look through the play log you'll see what I consider the worst aspect of the current version of the game. In the first half, my opponent Run Keys every play. Every one. But ten minutes into the second half, the psychic powers of the Defensive Coordinator kick and and suddenly he's Run Keying whenever I run, and Pass Keying whenever I pass, with 100% accuracy. When I run out of the 1-1-3 he's Run Keying, and Pass Keying whenever I pass out of the 1-1-3. Passing on 2nd & 3, sure, he's Pass Keying. This has been in the game since 0.4.5 has been released, I think. How has this gone on so long without being fixed?

Last edited at 4/11/2019 7:11 am

By GrandadB
4/18/2019 5:45 pm
shauma_llama wrote:
Ragnulf-le-maudit wrote:
very bad read. The slot Rc is wide open and gives a first down, the qb throws to the short route on 3rd and 9.

That's 0.4.5 for you. The back coming out of the backfield is always the primary regardless of what the play says. Maybe the secret is to go 5 WR so you don't have any backs coming out of the backfield. But considering this is a play-test league, that's not really our purpose here.

Dont know how hard it would be to do programming-wise, code. But... it would be great if the ability of a QB to "read" was more tied to the intelligence attribute. Offense has become repetitive with the large number of passes to the RBs. In addition, it would be better as far as being more of a RL sim, if the yardage needed for a 1st down was considered also. It makes no sense to throw a 1 yd completion to a covered receiver vs trying to complete a 10 yd shot on 3rd & 6 or more.

By raymattison21
4/19/2019 9:25 am
GrandadB wrote:
shauma_llama wrote:
Ragnulf-le-maudit wrote:

Dont know how hard it would be to do programming-wise, code. But... it would be great if the ability of a QB to "read" was more tied to the intelligence attribute. Offense has become repetitive with the large number of passes to the RBs. In addition, it would be better as far as being more of a RL sim, if the yardage needed for a 1st down was considered also. It makes no sense to throw a 1 yd completion to a covered receiver vs trying to complete a 10 yd shot on 3rd & 6 or more.

It's just as important as 4.4 . But bump is really slowing guys down...throwing off timing. The dump off was removed as the first option in 4.5 as well. Intelligence is the primary factor in deciding who is open . FOV acts like peripheral vision. 100 = 180° of vision. Experience helps with FOV as well. But these horrible qb reads were a problem in beta testing.

Generally you have 5 options to throw to. By the time the qbs read the 5th there is a big enough difference for him to actually make a decision . Good one or not, he doesn't even have a chance to run and rarely throws it away so I think he's forcing when it's unlikely needed.

Remember guys are not making longer throws because arm strength now alters the accuracy calculation there. Bump slows them down (throwing off the pass time clock )and qbs are rarely targeting these open guys and when they do they are dropping it too often .

Intelligence is now at a level of value of any tangible qb rating maybe a little higher due to other factors . You want ones that drive high accuracy scores . That's it. How you get your targets is up to you and your opponent , but the 3rd 4th option seems to be the most targeted . I have seen plenty of out liers, but you want to win that battle in order to compete in 4.5.

By Beercloud
4/20/2019 4:21 am
Pass rush without a sack might be key as well. Especially from the edge. Just to force the QB's timing. A QB only has 3 sec to throw the ball on avg. Thats two reads then either dump off or scramble to buy time or run. I dont see a lot of moving around in the pocket to buy time atm. 4th read might come on a scramble to buy time but 5th read rarely ever happens.

Here's a really good article that might be of some interest from a CB on int's and todays passing game.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/6/26/17501556/no-1-cornerback-explains-nfl-interception-record-may-never-be-broken-krause-woodson-lebeau-newman