NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: 0.4.5 Observations

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
4/29/2019 8:32 am
His 87 pass rush is probably why he's able to do that, but he is beating a 90-rated pass blocker so it's not like the pass blocker is mismatched. Still, that is interesting that he's able to block two punts in the same game, so I'll have to look into what might be the deciding factor.

By raymattison21
4/29/2019 9:23 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
His 87 pass rush is probably why he's able to do that, but he is beating a 90-rated pass blocker so it's not like the pass blocker is mismatched. Still, that is interesting that he's able to block two punts in the same game, so I'll have to look into what might be the deciding factor.

I just put a small fast guy surrounded by pass Pass rushing skill. That's the one depth chart position for special teams rushers ,I have seen the 3rd position consistently get there under this model as well. Really it almost looks like when the TE and Ts got confused on who to block. But here its the tightend and wingback.

The only commonality I have noticed is size as speed get the block punts. DES and LBS will only block punts if a non punter is back there,punting. So he punters ability has to matter.

Are there other factors ? His snapper is 97...he should be shooting pin point lasers. I blamed my blocked punts on blockers or kick holding , but I see no consistency involving those ratings

By CrazyRazor
4/29/2019 1:23 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:

His team was 3-6 and struggling. They won 7 regular season games, 3 playoff games, & nearly won the League Championship using this tactic. I'm disappointed in his lack of integrity more than anything.

I just hope you figure out the cause. I was in complete disbelief after the 2nd one.

By GrandadB
5/03/2019 4:21 am
CrazyRazor wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

His team was 3-6 and struggling. They won 7 regular season games, 3 playoff games, & nearly won the League Championship using this tactic. I'm disappointed in his lack of integrity more than anything.

I just hope you figure out the cause. I was in complete disbelief after the 2nd one.

just so you know,Crazy, that one particular player is the most dominant punt rusher among the 11 teams that I have. And, in the depth chart, it has him at the LB spot on the left, but he actually lines up at the DE spot on the right, with no overides. And what would you have me do? change it up? In the same vein, would you start using half zone coverage type plays in your defense because you thought not using them lacked integrity? i dont think so. Best thing to do to try and counter a particular situation like that is to try a different type blocker, maybe a RB or WR with high pass blocking skill. I recently lost a CC in part to a punt block recovered for a TD, so dont feel alone, its unique to 4.5 along with a lot of other differences vs 4.4 & earlier versions. There is not a blocked punt on every punt attempt, and getting 2 or more in a game is very rare.
Last edited at 5/03/2019 4:35 am

By CrazyRazor
5/03/2019 8:13 pm
GrandadB wrote:
CrazyRazor wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

just so you know,Crazy, that one particular player is the most dominant punt rusher among the 11 teams that I have. And, in the depth chart, it has him at the LB spot on the left, but he actually lines up at the DE spot on the right, with no overides. And what would you have me do? change it up? In the same vein, would you start using half zone coverage type plays in your defense because you thought not using them lacked integrity? i dont think so. Best thing to do to try and counter a particular situation like that is to try a different type blocker, maybe a RB or WR with high pass blocking skill. I recently lost a CC in part to a punt block recovered for a TD, so dont feel alone, its unique to 4.5 along with a lot of other differences vs 4.4 & earlier versions. There is not a blocked punt on every punt attempt, and getting 2 or more in a game is very rare.

Let's keep this in perspective.
Were you using him in the punt block scheme prior to your 10 game win streak? Probably not.
Ultimately, you used an exploit to catapult your team into favorable situations.

Do you want me to bring up the fact that you use one defensive play 4x's as often as any other play you use in that league? Too late. I just did. For Everyone Else to Know: The overuse penalty doesn't affect base formations. Maybe that's why you used the Cover 2 Man in the Dime Formation that much more than all the other defensive plays you had called. Idk

You're so helpful to these "new" players & worried about them being screwed over by "experienced" players. I just find it hypocritical that you try to use every possible advantage you can in order to win.

Spin your defense of your decisions & play style however you want. I just want the exploits exploited. That's what I'm doing. A DB shouldn't make it past a lineman when he's lined up on the line during a punt block. PERIOD
Last edited at 5/03/2019 8:15 pm

By shauma_llama
5/03/2019 8:20 pm
"The overuse penalty doesn't affect base formations."

What formations are those? I seem to remember reading that once upon a time, but can't really remember.

By CrazyRazor
5/03/2019 8:25 pm
As far as WHY these two blocked punts occured; I blame it on my punters Timing. It was 54. That sucks.

I still don't think a DB should get past an blocking OL when the DB is line up as a DL.

By CrazyRazor
5/03/2019 8:30 pm
shauma_llama wrote:
"The overuse penalty doesn't affect base formations."

What formations are those? I seem to remember reading that once upon a time, but can't really remember.

4-3 (4DL - 3LB - 4DB), 3-4 (3DL - 4LB - 4DB), Nickel (4DL - 2LB - 5DB), & Dime (4DL - 1LB - 6DB). Those are your Base sets, IF I remember correctly.

By raymattison21
5/03/2019 9:08 pm
CrazyRazor wrote:
As far as WHY these two blocked punts occured; I blame it on my punters Timing. It was 54. That sucks.

I still don't think a DB should get past an blocking OL when the DB is line up as a DL.

It's like the oline ran straight back but could not keep up. I bet the same pass block code is used for punts . Here the DE has a different pursuit angle on the punter than the qb as the punter is deeper in the back feild . It like when dbs could torch OTs years ago for sacks .

RL punt blocks come up the middle when teams are pinned in the end zone. Here in mfn the punter is closer to the LoS and nobody blocks those?

Yes timing is lower for your punter and your blocker is good, but the nfl uses defenders in the same punt coverage team and has no trouble keeping punt blocks 1 out of a 100 attempt s .

The problem is the blocking it can't handle the speed difference . But I guess it how you look at it. We can't pick a punt block defend play or a punt block play either cause the offense here uses man /zone blocking scheme and would get confused .

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
5/04/2019 10:14 am
raymattison21 wrote:
The problem is the blocking it can't handle the speed difference . But I guess it how you look at it. We can't pick a punt block defend play or a punt block play either cause the offense here uses man /zone blocking scheme and would get confused .

Can someone attempt this in MFN-1 so we can work on it this season?