NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/27/2016 10:15 am
I'll turn run blocking down a bit for the next sim.

By setherick
12/27/2016 10:30 am
jdavidbakr wrote:

Thanks!

But, to be clear, don't change pass blocking. It looks like it's dialed in. Some teams are averaging over 5 sacks a game, but most are not. And a lot of teams are averaging fewer than 2 sacks given up a game, which is what you really want out of good pass blocking teams. All teams in the NFL, except Cleveland (of course Cleveland), are giving up fewer than 3 sacks a game and the median is 2 sacks given up a game: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/order/false

The median last year was 2.25: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/year/2015/order/false
Last edited at 12/27/2016 10:31 am

By lellow2011
12/27/2016 12:03 pm
setherick wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Thanks!

But, to be clear, don't change pass blocking. It looks like it's dialed in. Some teams are averaging over 5 sacks a game, but most are not. And a lot of teams are averaging fewer than 2 sacks given up a game, which is what you really want out of good pass blocking teams. All teams in the NFL, except Cleveland (of course Cleveland), are giving up fewer than 3 sacks a game and the median is 2 sacks given up a game: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/order/false

The median last year was 2.25: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/year/2015/order/false

But how will my DE break the sack record then? :(

By setherick
12/29/2016 2:57 pm
The numbers inside the numbers on pass blocking are getting more interesting. If you look at the median number of sacks allowed per game, it looks pretty good. It's probably .5 to 1 sacks per game lower than what it should be actually.

But if you look at individual defensive statistics, things get really interesting. The top 11 sack leaders are either LBs or DTs. You have to get to number 12 to find a defensive end. This means that most of the sacks are coming up the middle. I would suggest adding the DE speed bonus back, but only make it 20-40% as effective as it was before.
Last edited at 12/29/2016 3:00 pm

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/29/2016 4:00 pm
setherick wrote:
The numbers inside the numbers on pass blocking are getting more interesting. If you look at the median number of sacks allowed per game, it looks pretty good. It's probably .5 to 1 sacks per game lower than what it should be actually.

But if you look at individual defensive statistics, things get really interesting. The top 11 sack leaders are either LBs or DTs. You have to get to number 12 to find a defensive end. This means that most of the sacks are coming up the middle. I would suggest adding the DE speed bonus back, but only make it 20-40% as effective as it was before.

Ok, I've turned it back up (I cut it in half before, so I've split the difference). I suspect that the other updates to the actual blocking -might- have taken care of some of the speed issues.

By setherick
12/29/2016 6:05 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
setherick wrote:

Ok, I've turned it back up (I cut it in half before, so I've split the difference). I suspect that the other updates to the actual blocking -might- have taken care of some of the speed issues.

Depending on how these tests go. I may suggest adding the speed bonus given to OTs to the interior of the line.

By raymattison21
12/30/2016 2:47 am
The league leading sacker has played LDE all season long. Granted alot are cover sacks and he's underweight

By WarEagle
12/30/2016 6:48 am
raymattison21 wrote:
The league leading sacker has played LDE all season long. Granted alot are cover sacks and he's underweight

At least he's not a converted DB.

By WarEagle
12/30/2016 6:55 am
setherick wrote:

Depending on how these tests go. I may suggest adding the speed bonus given to OTs to the interior of the line.

I still don't understand why max speed is more important than acceleration for linemen (offense and defense).

Anyone know?

Due to their weight, they should rarely even reach their max speed. Unless there isn't much difference between 0 and 100 accel and everyone reaches max speed in about 5 yards.

The only time I can think of where max speed would matter are those "run for the sideline QB sacks", and then only for the DL because the OL has already quit trying to block.

By setherick
12/30/2016 7:02 am
raymattison21 wrote:

I missed that Jennings is listed as a DE. Regardless, he's tied for the lead with two LBs, including one that is on my team and does not move from his LB position.

WarEagle wrote:
setherick wrote:

I still don't understand why max speed is more important than acceleration for linemen (offense and defense).

Due to their weight, they should rarely even reach their max speed. Unless there isn't much difference between 0 and 100 accel and everyone reaches max speed in about 5 yards.

I stopped weighting AC when I noticed there was little difference between my players with 10 AC and my players with 100 AC. I agree that for OL in blocking situations AC seems to be the more logical attribute to consider.
Last edited at 12/30/2016 7:07 am