NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/30/2016 12:00 pm
In most cases, the speed and acceleration attributes are used in the physics calculation for how fast a player goes vs. their weight. I opted to utilize both of these attributes in the 'speed rush' implementation rather than create an additional attribute because I felt it was similar enough and made logical sense. Both speed and acceleration are used, not just speed.

By WarEagle
12/30/2016 7:23 pm
How is it used for OL?

Also, I thought speed was Max Speed, something that would never be reached within 5 yards, particularly if there is someone lined up in front of you trying to slow you down. Only when running free would Max Speed ever be reached. Right?

It sounds like you are using these attributes differently for pass rushing than any other situation. Is that correct?

By raymattison21
12/30/2016 8:18 pm
To me its a bull rush or speed rush. Reggie White vs who ever these days.

One big number for speed rushers is them three cone...they are all athletic strong fast with explosive type numbers. But what truly separates them is that ability to turn that corner at a high rate of speed and maintain it on the way to the Qb.

The distance covered on a speed rush is equal to that last leg of the three cone drill..... Almost having to torque thier bodies at a 45 degree angle to hit that corner at that speed, but at a distance of only 10 yards is covered.

To me at twenty yards guys are reaching top speed so a fifty fifty split of speed and acceleration seemed ok to me...as in my combine calculations have shown those numbers fit at that range, but fail as our defensive ends fail to maintain contain and only travel 7.5 yards enroute to the shortest path to the QB. Not the ten that is needed to run around the big LT.

In our game the QB does not step up . ...they roll out .....then get the sideline sack by the fast guy who just ran 2.5 yards shorter thant he should . If the time we're calculated in I see no problem, but I always wish all defenders followed football rules within assignments.

You wouldn't send a speed rusher on a crash as he could get pinned down in the run game out side.

Forcing DES to contain more would allow qbs to step up more and roll out less. If screens were added who would cover them . ...only a DE assigned to a zone...maybe, but really they read and recognize screens as the happen . ..much like an end around ...an option read....waggle...based on rule within the assignment is what dictates the path the DE will take.

But in general here . ... that push up the middle forces the QB outside when the ends are crashing in and then it's afoot race and dice roll of what will happen next.

By setherick
12/30/2016 9:45 pm
WarEagle wrote:
How is it used for OL?

Also, I thought speed was Max Speed, something that would never be reached within 5 yards, particularly if there is someone lined up in front of you trying to slow you down. Only when running free would Max Speed ever be reached. Right?

It sounds like you are using these attributes differently for pass rushing than any other situation. Is that correct?

And DL...

By setherick
12/31/2016 8:26 am
Run and pass blocking have looked a lot better the past few games. Elite RBs are still cranking out yards like mad, but I'm beginning to wonder how much has to do with bad tackling logic and other factors. I think that blocking is probably where it needs to be. Has anyone seen anything differently?

By raymattison21
12/31/2016 10:55 am
Pull that play abuse thing out.....it does not work and it skews numbers

As for blocking I watched a gunner get doubled back ten yards....and all run blocks are held too long or just a blown block.....very static looking again. Players locked in and some guy weaving in and out.

The passing game....looks horrid too....my dumb QB can't hit the side of a barn....he took a sacK vs. A play abused over half of the time....on the last play of the game. Also, for some reason he has stopped throwing to RBs. My weights for QB under this code would have all running back ratings and intelligence then I would look at actual qb ratings.

Focusing my rant solely a bit more on pass blocking I see DTs and DEs are getting the push backward....every pass the DT is in the QBs face and the DEs are farther away making an inverted pocket...and the overall concept of why a sack is happening is WAY to related to the QB. Or at least how the speed of a QB should not allow him to avoid pressure .

Proper footwork is key to a QBS success...... footwork here is simulated by ball carry, speed ,acceleration perhaps intelligence . ...

If anything like this stays ...I can't see the game looking right....still right now my feedback feels like I am pissing in the wind as proper looking QB play has always been out the window since I started....I just always liked mobile accurate qbs...cause if they are fast and good QBS no body should sack them right?

The real life stats just don't match up cause here the QB won't run when he has open field. JDB needs a solution to that....have that pocket actually there and force that QB to step up, cause IRL once a fast QB is outside your screwed.

Here they are nerfed . ..I wish you were here for the one season QB'S took off. IDK what happened to that code....db's had to come up..... it was quite realistic at times, but some guys were Cunninghaming the rush stats and JDB went the other way....the top guy might get half the yards now if not one quarter . Safeties and CBS were getting double digit sacks also, but my team did good.....I figured that's why he nerfed it jk!

By setherick
12/31/2016 10:58 am
I'm not saying that things can't be improved, but this blocking scheme is leaps and bounds better than what we had before, especially for pass blocking.

By raymattison21
12/31/2016 11:33 am
setherick wrote:
I'm not saying that things can't be improved, but this blocking scheme is leaps and bounds better than what we had before, especially for pass blocking.

I feel Thats the weight thing .....definitely not knocking that...I want that to be in all leagues now ....still why that gunner getting doubled back like that ...I saw that with wr/db blocking combos under the old code. No pro would get man handled for seeming no reason at all.

And my center gets pushed back 5-7 yards in less that 3 seconds every pass where the DT has only speed and a little size on him.

My question is...will QB Lane get sacked this week . ...it's my favorite thing to check each week. Cause I know watching my game will be extremely painful. As guys abuse plays every game yet still continue to make play all cause he won't put a screen in.

Its a wash at this point for me. Artifical caps distorting anything believeable. I am playing slow safeties with all other relevant ratings except speed and all they can play in coverage is trail technique and routinely they are juked out of their shoes, but no missed tackle tallied on that one cause he was too slow to touch the ball carrier.

He needs to improve the effect of run defense to have it overpower the effect speed has on taking proper angles to actually get to a ball carrier to actually tackle him. If anything I think guys miss too little solo tackles, but too many assisted ones and too many times the defender just takes a bad angle and gets juked.

But run and pass blocking are way to over powered. It has to be to compensate for no quick easy completion vs a blitz . And QBs and returners would run all over teams again if they were not nerfed. DBs and lbs do not look to stop a running qb.....that's why cover sacks are a bit strong.

Ignoring all this in past changes has these problem highlighted now with a tighter code, but we went to far with this abuse thing.

Show me stats....it doesn't work..or at least my guys can't figure it out how to capitalize on an team who pressures my qb into making bad decisions even when facing a play 30 times.

While my defense has seen a noticeable decrease in efficiently executing plays abused only 5 to 10 times. The big problem is that those plays were not a problem before....it's the fact there was no real life relief from a team that blitzed .

All this effort and a screen would be here already....it like years I have been manning in up and pressing the other team with alot of blitzes. Why stop now.....only cause jdb has got a beat and when it changes I want my team there. But I refuse to use a blitz heavy package all game. Its been so long of doing the same thing . I thought I was on to a great D but the game too simple there. If other things worked better I would be ok but the dont.

By setherick
12/31/2016 11:39 am
raymattison21 wrote:

But run and pass blocking are way to over powered. It has to be to compensate for no quick easy completion vs a blitz . And QBs and returners would run all over teams again if they were not nerfed. DBs and lbs do not look to stop a running qb.....that's why cover sacks are a bit strong.

I disagree with this vehemently. Blocking actually works now as opposed to other leagues where 190 pound CB-turned-DEs destroy 300 pound tackles with 100 SP, Pass Block, and Strength.

The big problem right now is that defenses do not move laterally. They only move angle on toward the ball carrier. This means that LBs are always out of position in the run game.

Tackling is also largely terrible. Part of this is because of the lack of lateral movement in the game. But most of it is because ball carriers get a ton of bonuses to avoiding and breaking tackles so that JDB can keep the Madden folks happy.

I'd rather see elite RBs average 5 yards per carry and elite LBs get 120-150 tackles in a season routinely. But half the people that play would quit because "there would be no offense" (i.e. no 70+ point games routinely).

By raymattison21
12/31/2016 12:16 pm
setherick wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

I disagree with this vehemently. Blocking actually works now as opposed to other leagues where 190 pound CB-turned-DEs destroy 300 pound tackles with 100 SP, Pass Block, and Strength.

The big problem right now is that defenses do not move laterally. They only move angle on toward the ball carrier. This means that LBs are always out of position in the run game.

Tackling is also largely terrible. Part of this is because of the lack of lateral movement in the game. But most of it is because ball carriers get a ton of bonuses to avoiding and breaking tackles so that JDB can keep the Madden folks happy.

I'd rather see elite RBs average 5 yards per carry and elite LBs get 120-150 tackles in a season routinely. But half the people that play would quit because "there would be no offense" (i.e. no 70+ point games routinely).

I agree with the latter but how about those CBS coming down and taking on a 300 pound pulling G . The CB wins way to often, and for angles you can change the previous snap positioning of lbs an db's to allow for better run angles..

It kinda like a fast back IRL they might do better starting 7 yards deep so the online can get out in front. Or taking a delay or counter outside....it all gives time for the slower oline to get into position.

I am just seeing faster and stronger are better . Really I don't care the way the game goes but hard minimums of speed and strength are being enforced even more now.

I want a slow lb to get tackles just like rl. Not have 70 anything required to at least look good. Or get stats. Pass defense and run defense ratings are even more worthless under this code.

You really believe a 6'1 250 guy can't generate enough power to push a guy that's 6'7 300. Frame has no effect here. This is about leverage and that's not purely a weight thing.

I have 6 oline men...all my players are under weight why am I not losing every game....I have three of the leagues dumbest QBS and do not blitz .

Seriously did Lane get sacked or not I will check now