NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By CCSAHARA
12/31/2016 3:45 pm
I think the blocking is about right. I think is will it take some time to see correctly as different teams were built just for the sack. [ so it is probably advantage to OL at the moment] IMO it will take some time as the better game planners [ not me ] adjust with true DL players to make it a real war of the trenches were the game is really won and lost. I will also add [not sure how it would be done here] that an all-pro NFL center the major skill that is looked for is brains. They have to know every bit as much as the QB about the offense because they are actually making the blocking audible calls on the OL. Look around the NFL top tier centers very rarely make it to free agency.

By raymattison21
12/31/2016 3:58 pm
CCSAHARA wrote:
I think the blocking is about right. I think is will it take some time to see correctly as different teams were built just for the sack. [ so it is probably advantage to OL at the moment] IMO it will take some time as the better game planners [ not me ] adjust with true DL players to make it a real war of the trenches were the game is really won and lost. I will also add [not sure how it would be done here] that an all-pro NFL center the major skill that is looked for is brains. They have to know every bit as much as the QB about the offense because they are actually making the blocking audible calls on the OL. Look around the NFL top tier centers very rarely make it to free agency.

Look at mack and the Falcons . Probably alot of luck there but I feel he is the main reason for thire offensive consistency and dominance in the run game.

Still, I feel I can compete under this code with 6 average linemen . ..not much of a war going on in new Orleans . ...I will drop in my fast QBs and lower my sack totals. Perhaps I will see where my opponent is weak in balancing his play book and exploit any place I can lock his defense in to use a select few plays , but make sure I have few more offensive play only so I don't get penalized as much.

Now a head coach with more blitzes available will be better cause a well balanced blitz approach will be available . ...or how about the coach with more man plays as though they perform better the only benefit to them would be having more.

The beginning of the game looks great but then these penalties come in and make little sense...it is a numbers game based still based off exploit able plays .

By JCSwishMan33
1/01/2017 12:39 am
All I'll say is that comparing my O-Line's Run Blocking straight-up against Pittsburgh's D-Line's Run Defense... There's no way I should've had 2 100 yard rushers in our game. Especially the #2 RB and the FB, for crying out loud. I had O-Linemen getting anywhere between 5 and 15(!!!) yards of push against the D-Line.

My O-Line is well below average weight (for their positions), whereas Pittsburgh's D-Line (while being pretty close in weights to my guys) are right in the neighborhood of positional average weight.

I can also tell you that my guys are all at least average (50+) in Speed, Acceleration, Strength, Intelligence, and Discipline.

Also, I have a total of 6 running plays gameplanned and I rushed 57 times, so I should be getting penalized hard. But I was still having reasonable gains (5 yards plus) at game's end.
Last edited at 1/01/2017 12:58 am

By JCSwishMan33
1/03/2017 10:24 am
So some quick observations from the last game:

- There still seems to be something weird about run blocking. I'm noticing the line is still getting substantial push (doesn't seem quite as much as last game, but still noticeable). Also noticing some blockers seem to be shooting the gaps at a ridiculous speed; this isn't an 'all the time' thing, but it's enough to make me wonder what's going on.

- The one big thing I've noticed about run blocking is the logic / physics difference between engaged and non-engaged blockers... Or perhaps the lack of difference? When engaged, obviously a tackling dynamic doesn't come into play; you hold your guy up, keeping yourself between the runner and the defender. When the blocker finds himself not engaged, I've noticed that the blocker can't seem to tackle with a disturbing regularity. The amount of gang tackling the runner or someone from the secondary needing to come in and tackle is over the top. The top 40 tacklers in the league this season so far are ALL secondary guys; considering the insane running numbers, that doesn't seem to add up right. I'd love to get a "Year X Week Y leaders" stat breakout so I could see how the tackle numbers have trended due to the code changes.

By setherick
1/03/2017 1:58 pm
RE: DL Push

This was the first game that I was able to drop back and throw short passes without being constantly under pressure that I've seen. I played my slow QB, and he took 4 sacks, but he completely 75% of his throws, which is really what I'm looking for in my system.

I completely destroyed the interior OL of my opponent, but this came down to two things:

1) My opponent's C is terrible. Sub-30 pass block or something like that.

2) Two of my DT's sacks came on "abused" offensive plays, so I'm fine with that.

In general, pass blocking looked good. I'm going to crank up my short passes next game to get a better feel though.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/03/2017 2:03 pm
I'm going to do some more updates to the run blocking, as well as try to improve the zone coverage algorithm. Zone update -might- make it in time for the next game, run blocking will probably be at least a game or two away.

By WarEagle
1/03/2017 2:07 pm
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
The top 40 tacklers in the league this season so far are ALL secondary guys; considering the insane running numbers, that doesn't seem to add up right.

That actually seems about right to me. If the premise is that RBs are getting huge chunks of yards per carry, that would lead me to believe they are reaching the secondary before being tackled.

FYI - I went back and looked at 2015 in MFN-7 (the year running was broken). The best per carry average in the league (for a team) was 3.7 yards (only 1 of the top 20 individual rushers had an average over 3.4). That season 16 of the top 40 tacklers were LBs.

By JCSwishMan33
1/03/2017 2:14 pm
WarEagle wrote:
That actually seems about right to me. If the premise is that RBs are getting huge chunks of yards per carry, that would lead me to believe they are reaching the secondary before being tackled.

I guess I'm looking at it comparing to the NFL at large: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=TACKLES&conference=null&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES

Only 7 of the top 40 of combined tacklers are from the secondary... If you look at individual tackles, I think the numbers goes up to about half of the 40.

I'm also looking at it that if the blocking was right, we'd be seeing more tackles in that first level (D-Line / Linebackers). I could be wrong, but... Just a thought. :)

By WarEagle
1/03/2017 2:18 pm
I haven't done as much in-depth study of watching individual players during every running play to see what position they are in, etc., but I did crunch some numbers about the big yds/carry issue some people have mentioned and on display in my last game.

Going solely off of my last game, it looks pretty darn good to me.

My opponent rushed 31 times for 395 yards and 4 touchdowns (12.74 yd avg).

On the surface this looks awful and seems to confirm the complaints that running is too "easy", etc.

However, when I looked closer I discovered the following:

1. I failed to redo my gameplan and was still abusing a few plays.
2. On plays were I WAS penalized for abuse, my opponent rushed 7 times for 341 yards and all 4 TDs (48.71 yd avg).
3. On plays were I was NOT penalized for abuse, my opponent rushed 24 times for 54 yards and 0 TDs (2.25 yd avg).

If the example above holds true for all of the games, that would explain a lot of the inflated rushing numbers.

The game I used here as an example is very close to perfect in terms of what I was hoping to see happen when someone abused plays, especially the double blitz plays.

As you can see, when I did not abuse a play my D played well. When I did, they gave up huge plays. This is as it should be in my opinion.

Here is the game log if anyone is interested.

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/log/5836

By WarEagle
1/03/2017 2:21 pm
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

I guess I'm looking at it comparing to the NFL at large: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=TACKLES&conference=null&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES

Only 7 of the top 40 of combined tacklers are from the secondary... If you look at individual tackles, I think the numbers goes up to about half of the 40.

I'm also looking at it that if the blocking was right, we'd be seeing more tackles in that first level (D-Line / Linebackers). I could be wrong, but... Just a thought. :)

The stats are never going to be the same as the NFL.

How many DBs are playing on the DL in the NFL?
How many teams fail to gameplan in the NFL?
How many coaches fail to make in-game adjustments in the NFL?
How many players take more than a full season to learn a play in the NFL?
etc., etc., etc....