NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By setherick
1/03/2017 7:25 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:
Cincinnati is putting up over 700 yards of offense per game, I'm not really sure what to make of that but it feels like the passing and running games are almost unstoppable for my team at the moment.

3 sacks 258 pass attempts ? .?.?.?.?

Oakland gave up 18 in 596 attempts this year in the NFL, so while these numbers are low, they aren't that low. We should keep in mind that the first few games JDB made no tweaks to the pass blocking code. How many sacks has lellow given up in the past two games?

EDIT: Looks like lellow gave up 2 sacks two games ago and no sacks last game. I'd like to see two more games to see how many he gives up.

lellow2011 wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:
Cincinnati is putting up over 700 yards of offense per game, I'm not really sure what to make of that but it feels like the passing and running games are almost unstoppable for my team at the moment.

Add in 12 QB runs and that is 273 pass plays with 3 sacks.

Also this. Highly mobile QB with a good offensive line. How many sacks do you want him to give up? Like I said, come back in two games and look at the stats again before making any more changes to the pass blocking code.
Last edited at 1/03/2017 7:30 pm

By raymattison21
1/03/2017 11:47 pm
setherick wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:

Oakland gave up 18 in 596 attempts this year in the NFL, so while these numbers are low, they aren't that low. We should keep in mind that the first few games JDB made no tweaks to the pass blocking code. How many sacks has lellow given up in the past two games?

EDIT: Looks like lellow gave up 2 sacks two games ago and no sacks last game. I'd like to see two more games to see how many he gives up.

lellow2011 wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:

Add in 12 QB runs and that is 273 pass plays with 3 sacks.

Also this. Highly mobile QB with a good offensive line. How many sacks do you want him to give up? Like I said, come back in two games and look at the stats again before making any more changes to the pass blocking code.

To be honest 3 times as low is alot. Game changing.

Also the reasons make no sense. He has weapons that's it. In the nfl scrambling qb actually get sacked more often . ...I am not falling for this. Ends were nerfed and DTS are overpowered.

It is too easy to blitz and cover sack while one on one blocking is way down.

By setherick
1/04/2017 12:12 am
raymattison21 wrote:

To be honest 3 times as low is alot. Game changing.

Also the reasons make no sense. He has weapons that's it. In the nfl scrambling qb actually get sacked more often . ...I am not falling for this. Ends were nerfed and DTS are overpowered.

It is too easy to blitz and cover sack while one on one blocking is way down.

You're missing the bigger point. 2 of the 3 sacks game in the past two games after JDB changed the blocking code again. In the first five games of the season, my team gave up a ridiculously low number of sacks too because I have a strong pass blocking OL, fast QB, and throw short passes. In the past two games, my team gave up 1 sack when my fast QB was playing and 4 when my slower QB was playing. You need to give the code change at least two more games to get a decent statistical reading of code change.

A very quick look at the players that are allowing the most sacks have terrible, terrible pass blocking attributes. And a good number of them play inside. Once more players start moving their slow, good pass blocking OL inside, and get rid of the default strong run blocking but bad pass blocking guards, inside sack numbers will fall. (Like yours have.)

If there is a problem right now with pass blocking, it's that physical weight isn't being factored correctly. My tackles are 250# and 265#, and they dominate all DEs.

EDIT

Wanted to add a few more things to this. I don't mind most of the sack leaders being LBs coming on a blitz. This is on par with the NFL right now where 7 of the top 10 sack leaders are LBs: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2016/seasontype/2

The other thing I wanted to add is that I want to see if inside sack numbers drop now that the OL is holding their blocks better and not being pushed immediately backward by the interior of the DL.
Last edited at 1/04/2017 8:30 am

By raymattison21
1/07/2017 1:02 pm
Blocking is over powered In all aspects .......DLINE has disappeared in the stats. They are all space eaters..the team does better with better line, but no tackles or sacks for them .

And nfl linebackers get sacks out of a 3-4 when rushing the passer. Alot do defenses are switching to counter the short quick passes offenses are going with. Just by mixing up blocking and hot read assignments.

I don't mind edge rushers leading the league in sacks, but if you rush anyone alot they should get sacks, but the way to beat a 3-4 is run right at it.....here will that work vs. A blitzING LBer?...most likely he will shoot the backs gap when really his rule is to shoot his gap. Not gunner the back...it just doesn't work that way.

By Wolfpack
1/07/2017 1:08 pm
My DEs have disappeared pressure.

By lellow2011
1/07/2017 1:13 pm
Wolfpack wrote:

Same, I have a 99 DE that has done next to nothing this season. That level of DE should be doing something.

By setherick
1/07/2017 1:59 pm
I still think pass blocking is fine. I see a handful of pressure situations a game and DEs will end up with 12-15 sacks on the year. Those are respectable numbers.

Interior OL blocking has been suspect, but I think most of it is because people are playing crappy pass blocking Gs and Cs because it used to not matter.

I think why it feels like we're not getting pressures is because we've lived with a code that allowed you to get pressure on every play for a calendar year. I don't want that. I never wanted that. I almost quit a year ago when DEs started to get 50 sacks in a season, and I will quit if we go back to that. Real sim players don't want to play a game with Madden or Techmo stats.

QB play is improving and pressures mean things now. I don't see why so many people are complaining that pass blocking is overpowered. Run block is what sucks right now.
Last edited at 1/07/2017 2:01 pm

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/07/2017 4:54 pm
Well, I just saw a piece of debug code that extended run blocks that I apparently neglected to remove... oops... that explains a little bit. I've removed it for the next game. (Hopefully the run blocks won't be too short now)

By setherick
1/07/2017 8:02 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Well, I just saw a piece of debug code that extended run blocks that I apparently neglected to remove... oops... that explains a little bit. I've removed it for the next game. (Hopefully the run blocks won't be too short now)

That would definitely explain what I was seeing. :)

By Mr.Krazy
1/08/2017 3:36 am
lellow2011 wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

Same, I have a 99 DE that has done next to nothing this season. That level of DE should be doing something.

Exactly.

There is hardly any pass rush from the edge anymore while linebackers are getting sacks for days easily from the inside.

Take a look at these two players from Cincy..
MLB Michael Lee: Leads team with 11 sacks, rated in the mid to upper 70's
RDE Mario Landry: Ranks 5th on the team with 4 sacks, rated as 100

See the problem? Landry is basically a J.J. Watt type of player in a sense while Lee is just your average linebacker (with explosive speed of course). As of right now, you can run a linebacker blitz and likely be guaranteed more sacks that a stud DE. To me that's not right. Landry should be the team leader with 11 while Lee has 4.

There needs to be a balance between the exterior pass rush and interior pass rush. I 100% agree that interior pass blocking needs to be improved to lessen the sacks linebackers are getting. I also want to see a slight improvement to edge rushing from DE's. Players like Landry should be having more of an impact in pass rushing that Lee is to a certain extent (not to the point where star DE's are racking up 30+ sacks a season)