NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Draft player obfuscation

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/08/2017 12:52 pm
Ragnulf-le-maudit wrote:
Looking at Pat Chapman card, I see that his min. in Courage is lower than before the scouting. Do players possibly have minimums lower than on their initial card ?

The unscouted players may contain max values slightly outside of the displayed range. The scouted cards will not.
Last edited at 6/08/2017 12:52 pm

By wolfie
6/08/2017 1:51 pm
id like to see , the ability to scout 5 , 2 is too low and i think 7 might be to high , i could be wrong and i am a 1st year player still learning , but i think this might help me on my 2nd year

By Ares
6/08/2017 4:36 pm
Being able to scout too many players removes some of the ability to find late round gems, as the more players who are scouted, the less RNG is involved. This can either be good or bad, depending on perspective. However there's also the issue of standard leagues with low user participation. If only 5-10 teams are actively using their scouts, practically no players are going to end up scouted at a cap of 2. The system also needs to work in such a way as to prevent hoarding your scouts until right before your draft pick, otherwise you're disincentivized from actually using them until you're on the clock, thus effectively hurting players who draft earlier in the process.

One possible solution would be to allocate one scout to each team on each mid-week spin as soon as the draft class is gen'd, with a pop up notice notifying the user when they have an unused scout. From then on, every two spins each user will "replenish" their scout if it was used. If it hasn't been used, there's no carry-over and you still will only get one scout. Once a set number of players have been scouted (say 96), no more scouts will be replenished. Once Early FA 5 has spun no more scouts can be used.

This will give users out of the playoffs at least one thing to do, will ensure that low activity leagues still scout a solid number of players (if the cap is never reached, each active player would get the opportunity to use up to 7 total scouts), and gives a natural progression of knowledge leading up the draft (creating late risers/fallers).

jdavidbakr wrote:

This isn't a replacement for combine numbers, which I do still want to add.

If we're going with an obfuscated system, I definitely wouldn't want to see combine numbers. That just gives veteran players a major advantage, as we'll quickly figure out how combine numbers correspond to the physical attributes. It's basically like creating a secret code to decipher a player's physical atts in the draft. Once you've learned it, you know, but anyone who's new or doesn't have the time/inclination to figure it out will be left in the dark. Heck, I could probably code a script to just auto-translate combine numbers back into the 0-100 metric, or just a simple excel formula for the CSV files. And if the combine numbers DON'T reflect their actual numbers, then they're pointless fluff.

6/08/2017 5:04 pm
You will only be able to scout players during early free agency; once the draft starts, you won't be able to scout any more players.

By Booger926
6/08/2017 5:10 pm
I Personally do not like scouting a player and then EVERYONE can get the information I scouted. I believe that if I scout a player, then I should be the only one who has the scouting information for that player according to my weights.
If this is going to be the new "SHARE" for the society, then my share will be scouting the WORST player and benefitting from others scouting better players.

6/08/2017 7:22 pm
Booger926 wrote:
I Personally do not like scouting a player and then EVERYONE can get the information I scouted. I believe that if I scout a player, then I should be the only one who has the scouting information for that player according to my weights.
If this is going to be the new "SHARE" for the society, then my share will be scouting the WORST player and benefitting from others scouting better players.

The only reason I'm making it public is because otherwise you could share the info with other users or even have motivation to create multi accounts to gain more information than other users.

But your strategy would be fine if that's how you'd want to do it - in fact, you aren't required to scout any players at all if you don't want to.

By jsid
6/08/2017 8:47 pm
Could it be possible to use a brighter red? Usually I'm not one for aesthetics, but for some reason I'm having a tough time contrasting the red and the blue.

If i'm the only one having this issue I'll go crawl back to my cust leagues and stay quiet lol

By Mcarovil
6/08/2017 8:49 pm
I noticed the range for physical attributes that previously were set are now able to adjust higher or lower? I.E. speed, acceleration, intelligence, etc? Are those no longer static?

6/08/2017 8:51 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
I noticed the range for physical attributes that previously were set are now able to adjust higher or lower? I.E. speed, acceleration, intelligence, etc? Are those no longer static?

They are static - but are obfuscated, so the actual value is somewhere in that range.

By Mcarovil
6/08/2017 8:53 pm
Ah. I guess I should google the definition of obfuscation. So the actual value is hidden. Cool. Sounds like an interesting twist.