NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Draft player obfuscation

By WarEagle
9/25/2017 6:41 am
raymattison21 wrote:

In our world of linear weight/speed penalties bo is an outlier .

No, in the MFN world, Bo would be impossible. Just like Randy Moss, or Cam Newton, or Christian Okoye, etc, etc.

The way speed is currently displayed, you don't have to consider weight when comparing the speed of player A to player B. That has already been done. If player A has a speed rating of 90 and player B is 80, then player A is faster. Period. That is how it should be.

The same should go for all other attributes, where X is always greater than anything less than X.

By blackflys
9/26/2017 8:29 am
When a rookie goes thru combine the coaches know just about everything about the players. Ecspecially his speed and strength.

By raymattison21
9/26/2017 10:55 am
The nfl in 2017 had hundreds of rookies not running the fourty or recorded benching @ 225lbs.

By raymattison21
9/26/2017 10:59 am
WarEagle wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

In our world of linear weight/speed penalties bo is an outlier .

No, in the MFN world, Bo would be impossible. Just like Randy Moss, or Cam Newton, or Christian Okoye, etc, etc.

The way speed is currently displayed, you don't have to consider weight when comparing the speed of player A to player B. That has already been done. If player A has a speed rating of 90 and player B is 80, then player A is faster. Period. That is how it should be.

The same should go for all other attributes, where X is always greater than anything less than X.

Bo is the biggest outlier, as he falls farthest out side the norm. Next is Vernon davis. Well at least for speed

By WarEagle
9/26/2017 5:34 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
The nfl in 2017 had hundreds of rookies not running the fourty or recorded benching @ 225lbs.

Any idea how many of those were drafted in the first 3 rounds?

Also, I assume that means the teams didn't have any idea about those attributes for these players, and it doesn't include players who had a Pro Day or private workout for a team.

Correct?

By raymattison21
9/27/2017 6:59 am
WarEagle wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

Any idea how many of those were drafted in the first 3 rounds?

Also, I assume that means the teams didn't have any idea about those attributes for these players, and it doesn't include players who had a Pro Day or private workout for a team.

Correct?

I understand your approach here. Valid as it maybe my stance will always be with slightly muddled physical ratings . Ones that fluctuate over time.......maybe not for every player, but change happens as little as it may be.

Overall, I see reallife players working in space a bit more. If speed were not overvalued in this game perhaps I wouldn't feel so strongly about this.

The site had an asterisk for scores that may not have been considered official but I feel in this game some guys should have non improvable skills slightly change. We can already adjust speed and strength a little , by changing a players position .

I wish there were a league with only real life measures . ...no 97s or 63 for speed or whatever .

By setherick
9/27/2017 8:05 am
raymattison21 wrote:

I wish there were a league with only real life measures . ...no 97s or 63 for speed or whatever .

Or if the numbers meant something that you could demonstrate on the field. Right now, the numbers are completely meaningless. You know you want to have players with a high speed rating, but you have no idea what that means. And then you watch the games, and players move a lot slower than you would have expected at times or a lot faster than they ever should at other times.

By mardn72
9/27/2017 10:19 am
setherick wrote:

Or if the numbers meant something that you could demonstrate on the field. Right now, the numbers are completely meaningless. You know you want to have players with a high speed rating, but you have no idea what that means. And then you watch the games, and players move a lot slower than you would have expected at times or a lot faster than they ever should at other times.

Setherick, I have a lot of respect for how you continue to analyze the game and give really valuable feedback, but this kick you've been on lately that no stats matter or make sense beyond speed is getting hard to take. I've got a good number of successful seasons across a number of leagues and I promise you the other stats matter. Speed is important, but it should be. But, I'll take a player with 80 across the board over a player with 100 speed and 60s elsewhere every single time.

By WarEagle
9/27/2017 10:47 am
I agree that in real life players can work on improving things that are static here, such as speed and strength. You're not going to see someone go from being slow to a speedster, but there is such as thing as training specifically to increase your speed. However, max speed is rarely used in a real game. Acceleration/quickness is more important for most positions, and should be the #1 factor in how quickly your little dot moves around the screen until there is a breakaway situation.

In addition, a player's football IQ can increase separate from just position experience (you can have a lot of experience at a position and still not have a high football IQ).

None of these items ever improve in MFN, they only change slightly with position changes and then a significant drop once the player reaches age 30.

One thing I would like to see addressed is the fact that every player seems to come into the league without any prior football experience.

In the MFN universe, college football games must be filled with a ton of missed kicks, shanked punts, fumbles out the wazoo, receivers running routes into the locker room, etc.

Example: There are never any punters that already know how to punt. Why do 100% of the punters take years to become accurate or reach their full punt strength potential?

I would like to see some RBs who already know how to hold onto the ball. Some WRs who already know how to run a route or catch a pass. Some LBs who already know how to tackle.

I'm not saying these players should come into the league with those skills at 100/100, but seeing a top player with one of these key skills for their position showing as 48/95 doesn't make sense to me.
After years of playing well enough to be one of the best at his position in college, he suddenly forgets how to catch a ball (etc.) and has to learn again slowly once he gets into the pros?

I suspect this is done this way so that there is something that can be used to determine if a player will be a bust.

Dorial Green-Beckham is a good example. He appeared to have all the tools to be a great WR in the NFL, but turned out not to be. In his case it was probably due more to his character than anything else, but for the sake of argument let's just say he couldn't "cut it" in the NFL because he wasn't good enough.

With the current system I'm not sure what else could be used to decide he would end up being a bust other than having him generated with 40/100 at some vital skills, then quickly trend towards 40 once TC started.

In general, I think it's getting close to the time that JDB may want/need to take a fresh look at how players are created (and what should be important to each position), how we can evaluate players (draft pool and current), and how the overall game engine works to determine what happens on each play.

There have been so many tweaks trying to fix issues and make the game behave like it should that it may be better/easier to start over.

By WarEagle
9/27/2017 10:50 am
mardn72 wrote:
I'll take a player with 80 across the board over a player with 100 speed and 60s elsewhere every single time.

I would also for some positions, not all.

Not RB, WR or DB.