NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Draft player obfuscation

By Pernbronze
6/09/2017 6:25 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Booger926 wrote:
I Personally do not like scouting a player and then EVERYONE can get the information I scouted. I believe that if I scout a player, then I should be the only one who has the scouting information for that player according to my weights.
If this is going to be the new "SHARE" for the society, then my share will be scouting the WORST player and benefitting from others scouting better players.

The only reason I'm making it public is because otherwise you could share the info with other users or even have motivation to create multi accounts to gain more information than other users.

But your strategy would be fine if that's how you'd want to do it - in fact, you aren't required to scout any players at all if you don't want to.

I'd think to sate everyones consternation the following alterations would make it more friendly to all users.

1) Players who scout a player get the roughly halved scouting report of a player while the share visible to everyone else is only 10%. So there is still value in the share system but you aren't showing your hand and people like booger can hide their happily found gems. This is in line with how football actually works. With all attention giving other teams another glancing look at a player without them actually focusing scouting on that player.

2) CPU will scout unscouted players if the user (or lack thereof) does not scout for the week. This will help give a general idea to some of the lesser scouted players, and encourage activity without a heavy penalty for not doing so.

3) If you spread this across any length of time it'd be interesting to see each week the players are blanket scouted. This blanket scouting would be a very small increment perhaps 10% in total of blanket scouting. This will give players a little better idea of who they want to scout.

By Pernbronze
6/09/2017 6:39 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
2 time s 32 is 64....out of 7 times 32.....? Only 28 percent of the draft could be scouted?. .....and how does volatility effect the post scouted player? It seems the ranges are half as small after the scout, when compared to the old style .

I've struggled to decide the number of players to scout, and 2 does feel small. I don't want it to be where you're able to scout every player that ends up getting drafted, but I suppose I could even let you scout 7 players and some of those players will get skipped because they came in low after being scouted. Maybe 5 would be a better number?

raymattison21 wrote:
Can I have some more examples . ...or I can't wait to see real draft. Cause with over 2/3 of the players not going to be scouted could possibly make it a **** shoot, not that it is a bad thing at all . Especially with speed and acceleration being so variable for the highly volatile . How about 40 times? 20 yard shuttle ? Bench? Anyways I love it!

This isn't a replacement for combine numbers, which I do still want to add.

Given that this is a beta league I would say go with the 7 just to get more data on how everyone interacts. Also can players be scouted multiple times to reveal more and more specific ranges or is it just a one time narrow the range a bit thing? I would prefer a higher number of scouts and be able to get more and more specific. It would mean some players you know their stats because you scouted them well and others they got scouted once so you have a vague idea. This could lead to some variation in the style of a league depending on the players within it. Some leagues may become heavy with people who super scout only a few players, while others would be generally everyone gets scouted once but no one really knows any players ranges well. This would lead to a little more diversity and fun decision making in choosing your league and a feeling of a little more control if you really want to know about a player. Especially if you can see the leagues past "scouting reports" showing how the league tends to scout. This would combine well with my prior suggestion best I think but still be very good for the current system.

By WarEagle
6/10/2017 10:50 am
I would like a little clarification on the purpose of this new feature.

Is the purpose:
(1) to add a new "scouting" feature that would attempt to incorporate this real-life task into MFN.
or
(2) to add more randomness to the quality of the player you end up getting with your draft picks(s), resulting in more poor picks in higher rounds / more good players falling to later rounds.

If it's #2 then I think that will be accomplished.

If it's #1, then I think this is way off base and a lot of it doesn't make any sense.

By WarEagle
6/10/2017 10:50 am
Last edited at 6/10/2017 10:51 am

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/10/2017 12:33 pm
WarEagle wrote:
I would like a little clarification on the purpose of this new feature.

Is the purpose:
(1) to add a new "scouting" feature that would attempt to incorporate this real-life task into MFN.
or
(2) to add more randomness to the quality of the player you end up getting with your draft picks(s), resulting in more poor picks in higher rounds / more good players falling to later rounds.

If it's #2 then I think that will be accomplished.

If it's #1, then I think this is way off base and a lot of it doesn't make any sense.

Really, it's mainly #2.

By WarEagle
6/10/2017 1:58 pm
Thanks for the clarification.

By WarEagle
6/10/2017 2:03 pm
How does this impact the "Details" tab of the player card, before and after "scouting" (height/weight/rating/default rating)?

Since non-skill attributes are being obfuscated (speed/strength, etc.), am I correct to assume height/weight will be also?

If not, why not? What's the difference between those and the other non-skill attributes?

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/10/2017 3:01 pm
WarEagle wrote:
How does this impact the "Details" tab of the player card, before and after "scouting" (height/weight/rating/default rating)?

Since non-skill attributes are being obfuscated (speed/strength, etc.), am I correct to assume height/weight will be also?

If not, why not? What's the difference between those and the other non-skill attributes?

I'm thinking height and weight are a little bit more objective than the other skills, but that's an interesting point.

By JCSwishMan33
6/10/2017 6:37 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

I'm thinking height and weight are a little bit more objective than the other skills, but that's an interesting point.

Heights and weights are hard measurables at any time, especially height (which very rarely changes over the course of a player's career). So maybe the player's weight can fluctuate some pre-scout / post-scout, but I doubt the height ever would.

By Black Adder
6/12/2017 4:01 am
Sorry JDB ,I just don`t get it.

You scout to get an idea of where he`ll end up ratings wise,then thats completely blown apart after TC, with his Vol rating and where he`s drafted...whats the point of scouting him ?

Am I missing something?
Last edited at 6/12/2017 4:02 am