NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version 09d60821

By raymattison21
9/10/2020 7:01 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
I am not opposed to pushing this release now and working toward another short-term update, but I do think we'll see less than desirable passing results. My experience in the forums is that people here are obsessed with passing production.

In 4.5, the passing production is propped up by a handful of boom/bust plays like the FL Hitch, inexperienced GMs, and extreme disparities in speed (I still don't understand why any DB or WR is slower than any DL or OL). Over the course of a season, you can get the yardage and TDs you want. But any game against a good GM is going to result in a sorry looking box score.

So I don't know how to "fix" that, I don't know about the deep "nerf," and I don't know why we're seeing such poor results here. But I suspect the short and medium results won't go over well.

Zone DBs jumping routes allows for more deep passes. Long pass plays would be less than 40 yards if these guys didn’t do that. Old 4.6 had better zone and no one had a long passes vs us all season long

By raymattison21
9/10/2020 7:18 am
setherick wrote:
There is also the illogical problems with game planning that you run into with 4.5. Right now, my game plan is completely inverted. I call Medium passes when I would call Short passes because the effective "medium" plays get fewer yards per play than the effective Short passes.

The effective Short passes all rely on slant routes, short go routes, or sending the FB on a wheel route. The slant routes are just busted, and I have no idea why. (Really, the FL Hitch performs out of this world good against 90% of all defensive plays.) The short go routes are inconsistent, but game breakers when the QB goes that way. And the FB wheel routes are breaking the game because folks have figured out they can put a 95 SP WR in the FB spot and get 2500 yards a season running the Twins Slot Out (true story).

Not to mention that you need an advanced degree in statistics to figure out how to get pressure on the QB.

There are automatic reads in 4.5 and 4.6 . The old 4.6 didn’t have the same ones. It was more related to the defense call. These are the “money “ plays ....the ones users complained about . Saying there’s only one way to win.

To me the long and short labeling just simulates the 1,3, and 5 step drops a qb will take. Where the ball goes after that and the YAC is almost predictable. Creating the low or high comp% or YPP average between plays sets.

Staying on 4.6 results. There was 1 hurry in the Victory championship game out of 95 pass attempts. 4 ints and only one long pass to a wr vs. a deep safety who jumped the route bad. The hurry came from a SS probably playing the Nickel back.

Run all the stats you want on 4.6 ...... maybe you’ll catch something we have seen here in beta. This beta code has only been active for a handful of games. The prior one had better pressure.... making blitzing a more viable call... this one will make everything you said even more important, causing even less plays to be called....thus making play abuse even more of a chess match.

By raymattison21
9/10/2020 7:28 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
This is outside the scope of 4.6, but I would volunteer to draw up some new plays or otherwise contribute to a playbook overhaul. (I have some other ideas, like unlocking the entire universe of plays but giving players a boost in learning them if they align with the HC/OC/DC philosophy.)

To seth's point: There are underlying problems with the way passing works that need to be addressed eventually. An upward tweak of the completion percentages might be a viable bandaid.

There was 2 drops in the Victory championship game..... and low 60% comp rates. Only two true zone plays called out of 130 play calls. Any nfl game plan wouldn’t even make it the big game here.

Adding plays and familiarity within that coaches scheme is always a great idea but I would rather fix glaring problems first.

That 4.6 championship game should have had so many more qb runs,scrambles , sacks and hurries. The long run was 14 yards and fix safeties jumping routes bad the long pass would have been to a back out of the backfield....well besides the nickel blitz call vs a slow FS with no deep help

By raymattison21
9/10/2020 7:36 am
If you want punt blocks down and the 46 play nerfed . Mission accomplished (as of now) if you want a different better game fix ints and pressure. That will require the work done months ago to go back on the table as zone is weak compared to man and it’s too easy to pass on blitzes .

Put these two 4.6 versions together and increase pressure but allow QBs to run again. Work on LBers with no coverage assignment and only have backs on wheel routes going deep. If guys blitzed more the long runs would go up but the poor reads by QBs and the throws into double coverage almost requires a game plan with these money plays....and the same could be said for the defense.

By Infinity on Trial
9/10/2020 8:08 am
raymattison21 wrote:
If you want punt blocks down and the 46 play nerfed . Mission accomplished (as of now) if you want a different better game fix ints and pressure. That will require the work done months ago to go back on the table as zone is weak compared to man and it’s too easy to pass on blitzes .

Put these two 4.6 versions together and increase pressure but allow QBs to run again. Work on LBers with no coverage assignment and only have backs on wheel routes going deep. If guys blitzed more the long runs would go up but the poor reads by QBs and the throws into double coverage almost requires a game plan with these money plays....and the same could be said for the defense.

I'm not seeing anything in your comments about improving the poor QB play in the current beta code.

By raymattison21
9/10/2020 9:32 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

I'm not seeing anything in your comments about improving the poor QB play in the current beta code.

No one denies the value of lowering the long passing drop rates. That would be a quick fix of sorts, but cbs in man would still be making unreal off the ball plays and safeties in deep zone would still be jumping routes bad allowing for longer passes in the first place.

I was was speaking strictly of a cause and effect thing. Currently only pass blocking and speed was changed..... it changed other areas as well which change stats. I think some miss how sensitive and intertwined the code is.

In 4.5 I played with a team that wasn’t the best. I played every game without knowing the exact ratings of any player. Grades and playing time were given by film and stats alone .

In addition I tallied stats for throws in double coverage and whether they were completed/ intercepted which drew a picture of passing into tight windows... and compared to nfl stats throwing into tight windows. Simply said our is way high. Here I mainly blame reads which is purely QBs related driven by the pressure and talent of receivers to cover guys.

Poor reads equals poor QBs play cause the speed gaps are too large due to weight.

Other stats were which positions caught or missed those throws in to double coverage/ tight windows.

For cover guys I had a stat that showed yards receded, and whether they were beat due to getting beat in man or zone.... or being in great position to allow for the catch anyway . That painted another picture to prove man coverage it too tight. As a cause and effect thing QBs would do better if man wasn’t so strong.

Another stat I tracked was tackle for loss and all this is to prove what was theoretical. Too many of those as well due to the gaps in speed due to weight. Currently those are way down in beta as I had 18 tfls in one game under 4.5 with one guy. Run blocking wasn’t touched but running has changed.

Changing pressure on the defensive side as well as changing how a QB handles pressure will both change stats and play. So both are changes that will effect poor qb play. Same for coverage and same for changing speed gaps. They are all doing something.... the question is what angle to pursue to get the desired results.

Taking those drops out is powerful but it won’t change throws into double coverage or the fact pressure is ridiculous low. Leaving zone at such a disadvantage opens doors to limited play books on both sides.

Like I said pressure need s to be so low cause QBs would be even worse but I will ask again.... why are there so many throws into to tight windows in the first place?

By Infinity on Trial
9/10/2020 9:41 am
If the problem is throwing into tight windows, why are you advocating for tighter coverage?

By Infinity on Trial
9/10/2020 9:46 am
I'm also still confused why the "solution" to the speed problem was to narrow the difference between a slow and fast player, rather than fix the speed distribution by position.

By Smirt211
9/10/2020 10:52 am
The only reason that nerf was put into place was because Ray figured out how to burn bad DBs by running long routes.

This was when he tested the 2-1-2 SE Post as every single offensive play, which as you said would be no one's game plan and thus produced atypical results and a wrong reaction to it.

By Infinity on Trial
9/10/2020 12:26 pm
Looking more closely at film and logs, it looks like the calculation for drops is broken at every distance level. In my most recent game, we combined for 11 drops in 91 pass attempts (12%)

I know NFL stats are not always a perfect comparison, but the worst team in the league last year averaged 2.25 drops (7%) per game. More than half the league was under 5%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/advanced.htm