NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version 0d5f5ac

By Infinity on Trial
10/19/2020 10:41 am
It's difficult for me to gauge some of what's happening in preseason, but these things remain clear about the code change:

It's easier to run the ball

DL pressure is too high

LB pressure remains non-existent

90+ speed DBs will block multiple punts per game

QB data is too messy to make sense of, but we seem to be stuck in the same old routine where QBs can only complete short dumpoffs and the rare home run.

By raymattison21
10/19/2020 11:01 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
It's difficult for me to gauge some of what's happening in preseason, but these things remain clear about the code change:

DL pressure is too high

QB data is too messy to make sense of, but we seem to be stuck in the same old routine where QBs can only complete short dumpoffs and the rare home run.

We’re these 90+ speed DBs facing punters with 70 or higher timing?

By Infinity on Trial
10/19/2020 1:51 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

DL pressure is too high

Yeah, a 94 overall punter with 93 timing: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/log/12026

Four blocks in this game: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/log/12026

I wasn't even trying — just had the sub rate set extremely low.

By TheAdmiral
10/19/2020 2:05 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

DL pressure is too high

Yeah, a 94 overall punter with 93 timing: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/log/12026

This was the guy punting in the 2nd half, or trying too.

#2 William Fitzgerald QB 8 6' 1 220 Healthy Neutral 10

Houston Punting Stats Pre-season
Dennis Velasquez (P) 8 380 47.5 46.5 53 2
Alberto Scala (MLB) HOU 11 255 23.2 25.8 37 0
William Fitzgerald (QB) HOU 7 141 20.1 22.1 32 1
Donald Cohen (SLB) HOU 3 40 13.3 21.0 30 0
Last edited at 10/19/2020 2:10 pm

By raymattison21
10/19/2020 5:49 pm
The sack rates are high but the distribution is more balanced than 4.5 .

Here We had 20 sacks total and half were by DBs and LBs. Hurries were double sacks but LBs and DBs had 12 of them out of the 40.

My smaller DLinemen rushed the passer pretty well but so did my 276 /300 pounders. Edge goes to the smaller guys due to there abilities to still handle the run.

The big problem is why the sacks happen . To avoid sacks the gameplan is too heavily tied to pass distance and not the pass blocking rating. Plenty of great olinemen giving up a lot of sacks due to the play calls will not go over well.

Our blitz rates were near 60% of all calls . Of those calls most were out of sets with only 4 DBs. They faced all the bigger sets and nickel situations. Not that goaline is weak or nickel is vulnerable but why don’t I need them in the first time place?. Cause coverage is too strong and size doesn’t matter enough in the run game.

I like this code a lot but what’s wrong with long passes? Half of them end in sacks .....but not all of them?

The heat through heavy blitzing we put on guys causes low completion rates and high drop rates but there is that game where I get torched despite my good set of DBs. Just catch over after catch over. This part is very sensitive to say the least.

I had a great hot read earlier in a game and a few plays later my QB panics and throws a horrible ball. Same plays, same players, same hot read but completely different results. Was it his accuracy ? Old codes that hot read would strike almost every time.

By Infinity on Trial
10/19/2020 6:06 pm
TheAdmiral wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

DL pressure is too high

This was the guy punting in the 2nd half, or trying too.

#2 William Fitzgerald QB 8 6' 1 220 Healthy Neutral 10

Houston Punting Stats Pre-season
Dennis Velasquez (P) 8 380 47.5 46.5 53 2
Alberto Scala (MLB) HOU 11 255 23.2 25.8 37 0
William Fitzgerald (QB) HOU 7 141 20.1 22.1 32 1
Donald Cohen (SLB) HOU 3 40 13.3 21.0 30 0

I didn't catch the QB punting. If I get a CPU or MIA opponent, I'll test this.

By Infinity on Trial
10/19/2020 6:07 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
The sack rates are high but the distribution is more balanced than 4.5 .

Here We had 20 sacks total and half were by DBs and LBs. Hurries were double sacks but LBs and DBs had 12 of them out of the 40.

My smaller DLinemen rushed the passer pretty well but so did my 276 /300 pounders. Edge goes to the smaller guys due to there abilities to still handle the run.

The big problem is why the sacks happen . To avoid sacks the gameplan is too heavily tied to pass distance and not the pass blocking rating. Plenty of great olinemen giving up a lot of sacks due to the play calls will not go over well.

Our blitz rates were near 60% of all calls . Of those calls most were out of sets with only 4 DBs. They faced all the bigger sets and nickel situations. Not that goaline is weak or nickel is vulnerable but why don’t I need them in the first time place?. Cause coverage is too strong and size doesn’t matter enough in the run game.

I like this code a lot but what’s wrong with long passes? Half of them end in sacks .....but not all of them?

The heat through heavy blitzing we put on guys causes low completion rates and high drop rates but there is that game where I get torched despite my good set of DBs. Just catch over after catch over. This part is very sensitive to say the least.

I had a great hot read earlier in a game and a few plays later my QB panics and throws a horrible ball. Same plays, same players, same hot read but completely different results. Was it his accuracy ? Old codes that hot read would strike almost every time.

Still not seeing LBs generating pressure from the LB position, except for GL plays.

By TheAdmiral
10/19/2020 6:12 pm
The latest from Victory after Gameweek 7.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/143k_CaYKVA0I356GFK3_JXPd7m2ZdZdPQnI_anlXRtE/edit?usp=sharing

Power rankings and stat leaders up to and including gameweek 7. Individual player stats up to gameweek 6 for QB, Rushing in QB rushing, Receiving, Blocking, Punting, Kicking and Secondary. I still have to do something for Linebackers and DL. With DL to get an effective rating for defending the run we need to see tackles for loss included - the data should be reasonably easy to access as you record tackles allowed against OL - which in theory should be for negative yards only?

What are the chances of overhauling the statistics area of the website?

With regards to the Punters, I've highlighted the issue where a kick that goes out of bounds on the sideline isn't recorded in the Punters stats which then skews his numbers - any sign of this being rectified. If so will it be backdated or just go from the date of change to the software?

General concensus is

sacks are still too high,

passing numbers are too low (7 gameweeks in and only 10 times has a QB posted 300+ yards) the lack of completions on deep throws seems to be the primary issue and an uptick on accuracy on 20yards + throws will help both of the above as getting too aggressive defensively will result in getting burned by the deep ball more often.

injury rate may need to be looked at, with drives generally lasting longer in the new code, players seem to be hitting the 'red zone' for injuries too quickly - I'm not convinced yet (as I have no way of knowing how much players are rotated/left in the game with other teams, but worth keeping an eye on.

With regards to the injuries, a by-product of this is it may force players into using the correctly 'sized' players in the correct positions? Thus hampering the teams with 15 WR and 12 CB.

By raymattison21
10/19/2020 6:59 pm
https://victory.myfootballnow.com/watch/485#88824

This LBer is several yards deep and beats the G for a sack. At least a 3rd of his sacks are of similar alignment.

I see coverage being too tight and the pass blocking rating not mattering enough. Right now I wouldn’t want blitzing to be less useful. Just the heat caused by dlinemen should be less. More importantly with the plays that take longer to set up. Plays withLonger passes are Even more are almost useless now.

Blitzes have to be hampered to make up for in adequate play in other areas. Some way I see are:

I have blitzers following receivers and veering away from the QBs to try to both blitz and cover at once. Also, While in rout Some blitzers speed is impeded, most likely by pass rush skill or acceleration but when they (dB or LB) get going they will fly at the QBs.

By raymattison21
10/19/2020 7:06 pm
TheAdmiral wrote:
The latest from Victory after Gameweek 7.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/143k_CaYKVA0I356GFK3_JXPd7m2ZdZdPQnI_anlXRtE/edit?usp=sharing

Power rankings and stat leaders up to and including gameweek 7. Individual player stats up to gameweek 6 for QB, Rushing in QB rushing, Receiving, Blocking, Punting, Kicking and Secondary. I still have to do something for Linebackers and DL. With DL to get an effective rating for defending the run we need to see tackles for loss included - the data should be reasonably easy to access as you record tackles allowed against OL - which in theory should be for negative yards only?

What are the chances of overhauling the statistics area of the website?

With regards to the Punters, I've highlighted the issue where a kick that goes out of bounds on the sideline isn't recorded in the Punters stats which then skews his numbers - any sign of this being rectified. If so will it be backdated or just go from the date of change to the software?

General concensus is

sacks are still too high,

passing numbers are too low (7 gameweeks in and only 10 times has a QB posted 300+ yards) the lack of completions on deep throws seems to be the primary issue and an uptick on accuracy on 20yards + throws will help both of the above as getting too aggressive defensively will result in getting burned by the deep ball more often.

injury rate may need to be looked at, with drives generally lasting longer in the new code, players seem to be hitting the 'red zone' for injuries too quickly - I'm not convinced yet (as I have no way of knowing how much players are rotated/left in the game with other teams, but worth keeping an eye on.

With regards to the injuries, a by-product of this is it may force players into using the correctly 'sized' players in the correct positions? Thus hampering the teams with 15 WR and 12 CB.

Giko is near 5.5 injuries a game were still at 3.5 similar to v4.5. Still, I am ok with observations of late and most likely will always be ok with the injuries here. As they are lax in duration compared to the nfl.