NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Version 0.4.3 Release Candidate Discussion

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/01/2018 1:32 pm
setherick wrote:
There are a lot of problems with this:

1) The penalty shouldn't apply to passes < 20 yards since that is the real long ball target distance for NFL QBs. An NFL QB should be able to pinpoint pass any pass < 20 yards while not under pressure.

2) That's not how the penalty is actually applied. It appears to be applied twice for wide open receivers, and not applied at all for covered receivers. Wide open WRs drop - and I'm not exaggerating - 50% of their passes. My 100 catch receivers in DHF went from 80% catch rates to 50-60% catch rates in the transition to 0.4.3.

3) The penalty is still applied for passes <= 12 yards. This is evident by looking at RB swing passes to high catch RBs. 50% of the time they either stop (dive catch) or drop the ball completely. But the < 0 yard distance from LOS could be a separate bug.

You're actually oversimplifying it (partly my fault because I oversimplify it as well). The distance penalty is applied as I described. There are also other factors, such as what probability a 100-catch receiver will do vs a 0-catch receiver, or the impact of ball placement, the impact of courage vs punish receiver, etc, that has nothing to do with how far the ball is thrown and is applied to every catch equally. But, this has been there from the beginning (albeit in a constant state of adjustment).

By setherick
9/01/2018 1:34 pm
I'm not oversimplifying. I'm generalizing based on about 400 hours of film review of beta and 0.4.3 games.

By Beercloud
9/01/2018 2:10 pm
jdb wrote:
The "nerfing" setherick is referring to is a reduction of catch probability based on the distance downfield. It's actually not touching anything less than 12 yards downfield. Right now if I turn that off you can score 200 points per game by just playing long passes on offense, so it's there to simulate the fact that long passes are huge when they are successful but are infrequently successful. Some of this will probably always stay because there are other reasons that long passes can be harder to catch than short passes that this game will probably never simulate, but I acknowledge that the penalty is higher than it should be.

I actually am able to test play pairs and give all players the same attribute, and actually wouldn't be opposed to doing some of that and making the results available from my testing environment if some of you would like to break down film that way (I'd prefer to give the links via PM rather than in the forums because that environment is not always running and gets reset frequently and I don't want to confuse someone who might casually come across the link in the forums).

That makes sense.

Have you ever considered a workshop type environment?

Grab a handful of GM's that can help and are good at breaking down film like setherick, Bryson10, raymattison21 etc..(just a to name a few) Meet maybe once a week or so to discuss film etc..?

I can help setup a Discord room for you or your welcome to use mine if you need. In brief, Discord is free and can be used with a mic or via text chat. There are different services as well. This is just one service and i mention it as most of the iracing leagues and teams I'm involved with use it or are migrating over to it and it works well. Throwing thoughts out there as I tend to do too much of sometimes. lol

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/04/2018 8:51 am
Beercloud wrote:
Have you ever considered a workshop type environment?

Grab a handful of GM's that can help and are good at breaking down film like setherick, Bryson10, raymattison21 etc..(just a to name a few) Meet maybe once a week or so to discuss film etc..?

I can help setup a Discord room for you or your welcome to use mine if you need. In brief, Discord is free and can be used with a mic or via text chat. There are different services as well. This is just one service and i mention it as most of the iracing leagues and teams I'm involved with use it or are migrating over to it and it works well. Throwing thoughts out there as I tend to do too much of sometimes. lol

I would love to have an environment like that, my only hesitation is trying to coordinate schedules (the most difficult would be my own) - I'd like for the Beta forums to serve that purpose as much as possible as it gives everyone the ability to weigh in on their own time. Perhaps there would be a better forum format to apply to make it easier, a la a bugzilla type of environment where issues can be grouped together by what they are and it would be easier for the community to keep track of and comment on specific issues. I have tried that in the past and it became unwieldy just because I didn't have time to manage merging duplicate issues or removing items that were user error and not issues. I'm certainly open to ideas of how to make the feedback easier for everyone, I'm just concerned about my ability to participate in a regularly scheduled meeting.