NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Version 0.4.3 Release Candidate Discussion

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/28/2017 1:29 pm
setherick wrote:
In Beta-87 now in year four, I have given up 30 sacks in 5 games with my 31 SP QB despite having a much better offensive line: https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/team/27

This definitely is not something that I want to see in the release. Thanks for the report, I will continue to work to figure out why this is happening.

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
12/28/2017 3:42 pm
Returner runs in coverage
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1131#208496

By raymattison21
12/29/2017 9:00 am
Cover sacks are too high. Too many missed open recievers .

Mlb blitzes are too high along with DT sacks. The qb could just roll out. They drop back further and get sacked .

B and R should work in some fashion with man to man . It not a separate technique . And should only be applied with in close proximity of players . Watching guys just run by guys just doesn't make sense . My team is slow .....I wish I could shut it off..

I think I saw one broken tackle all last game. I thimk the guy had 77 BT and 95 speed. Run blocks are held too long and there are too little broken tackles and dragging of defenders . Filling all the gaps is how to play run defense but it is not fool proof . A 90 brake tackle player should break at least one tackle a season . A sub 10 break tackle player maybe not but there no difference .

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
12/30/2017 7:47 am
Good zone play
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212320

a lot of targets running free, still the qb holds the ball too long and takes the sack.
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212333

Holding the ball too long
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212396

The qb waits too long, completes the pass to the wide-open rc who goes out of bound for 1 yard
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212361

good read by the qb, who sees the cb blitz. Bad drop though.
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212369

Very bad visoin by the rb (42/60 BC)
https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/watch/1153#212369

looking at the stats of my CBs, they all have elite completion allowed %.

Last edited at 12/30/2017 7:57 am

By setherick
12/30/2017 8:46 am
Here's a game for you to dig into: https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/box/1151

Straw runs an all passing attack in Beta-87 (he was convoying QBs too, but only one played last game), and since I get tired of losing to it, I put together a game plan that ran a M2M Blitz 2 with the secondary in Man out of the 4-3, the GL Attack #1, or the Dime Blitz 2 all game.

The result? A combined 28 sacks between the two teams (18 against Straw and 10 against me). Now I'm not too upset of sacking Straw's team 18 times since he does pass every down, but the 10 sacks against me was obnoxious since I do try to run a balanced offensive attack in Beta-87.

I think this game highlights how overpowered both passing and sacks are right now. I had to resort to an extreme measure to keep Straw's passing game in check, and still almost lost. Think about that for a second. I sacked him 18 times for 168 yards and still gave up 172 passing yards, and still almost lost the game. ****, if play overuse actually mattered, I probably would have gotten shredded since he had a lot more passing plays than I had defensive plays in the game.

On the sack front, I think 28 combined sacks says enough. But I also noticed that the majority of these sacks came right up the center.

By raymattison21
12/30/2017 8:58 am
setherick wrote:

Straw runs an all passing attack in Beta-87 (he was convoying QBs too, but only one played last game), and since I get tired of losing to it, I put together a game plan that ran a M2M Blitz 2 with the secondary in Man out of the 4-3, the GL Attack #1, or the Dime Blitz 2 all game.

The result? A combined 28 sacks between the two teams (18 against Straw and 10 against me). Now I'm not too upset of sacking Straw's team 18 times since he does pass every down, but the 10 sacks against me was obnoxious since I do try to run a balanced offensive attack in Beta-87.

I think this game highlights how overpowered both passing and sacks are right now. I had to resort to an extreme measure to keep Straw's passing game in check, and still almost lost. Think about that for a second. I sacked him 18 times for 168 yards and still gave up 172 passing yards, and still almost lost the game. ****, if play overuse actually mattered, I probably would have gotten shredded since he had a lot more passing plays than I had defensive plays in the game.

On the sack front, I think 28 combined sacks says enough. But I also noticed that the majority of these sacks came right up the center.

49 blitz calls by half time....

By setherick
12/30/2017 8:59 am
raymattison21 wrote:
setherick wrote:

49 blitz calls by half time....

I blitzed every play.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, the reason passing is overpowered is because coverage is still awful. QBs are probably playing where they should in terms of decision making and accuracy. DBs can't cover anything. So we end up having to blitz every play. If this was IRL football and I was facing Straw, I would have used a zone defense and dropped players into the passing lanes and then used mixed blitz and stunt schemes up front to wear out the OL.
Last edited at 12/30/2017 9:15 am

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 9:57 am
setherick wrote:

I blitzed every play.

And still won.

It's mind-boggling this still hasn't been addressed properly.

JDB seemed to be on the right track when blitzing too much eventually lead to your opponent scoring on every down when you ran the same play again. Then changes started coming that basically removed all the progress that had been made and now we are back to no practically no downside at all.

But at least we're making sure you can only use one QB in each game. That's much more important.

By setherick
12/30/2017 10:12 am
What's worse blitzing every play? Or passing every play? The only reason I cranked up the blitz was because I knew he was going to pass every single down, zone coverage is effing awful except on long downs where you want to keep the ball in front of you; M2M coverage is suspect because DBs don't punish, they mirror WRs, and they constantly give up inside position, and oh yeah, 80% of them are too slow to account for SP differentials that determine the effectiveness of most of the passing routes; and play overuse only applies to individual plays and not play tendency (which at its root is misguided and pretty dumb) and overuse bonuses only apply to technical abilities (as those bonuses should) which MAKE NO DIFFERENCE in 90% of all plays because SP and Courage are the overwhelming determinants for the passing game and both of them are already so overpowered to make up for the fact that most QBs stood around and did nothing for so long. The only thing keeping every 60 overall QB from completing 100% of his passes right now are blitzes, pressure, and sacks. It's annoying to the point where I'm happier playing in the non-beta leagues than the beta ones.

By raymattison21
12/30/2017 10:55 am
Re: 2023 changes feedback
By jsid
7/29/2015 6:33 am
mrfakename wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
jsid wrote:
9 combined INTs last game. Seemed like my QB was getting pressured almost every play against a good, but not god tier D-Line. I might be the minority here, but I think the pressures are OP.

Any other thoughts? Is it too much now?

Have them play me and the minority might become the majority. Granted I tallied up blitzes in another league with this defensive scheme and I was blitzing over 70% of the time. Thats way higher than what the NFL does....so why not have more sacks and ints. I give up big plays, but not so many in this league. Still its 5 games in, but Im on a pace for 100 sacks. Maybe the offense has to change its scheme. Cause there is a few ways to beat it in my mind. But, I'm thinking either me or Jsid is on to something.

Yeah, could be that the GP worked well against me, lol.

Mark Unread Quote Reply
Re: 2023 changes feedback
By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
7/30/2015 5:40 pm
Made a small tweak for tonight's games with the QB pressure - I didn't change anything about the blocking, but I shrunk the circle of pressure influence by 25%

this was under my old handle...the first inclination that blitzing was overpowered . The biggest issue I have is all the fixes put in and still the same issue . Blitzing is too effective .
Some real life counters would be the way to go.

If tackling was harder those ones on one's would be more vulnerable as deep defenders would need to be there .

Alot needs to be reassessed . Idk if pass blocking is that bad . I know run blocking is. But they both stink vs. The blitz .

Man to man and zone seem pointless . Play overuse needs to be looked at hard. Perhaps scrapped.

I really think pass rush and run defense should work in tandem with tackle to create poor and good angles of pursing the ball. That whole system seems tied to heavily to the various levels of knowledge and experience . ...... it's hard to change direction when going full speed....it's the reason speed is so valueable here the ability to cut, play in space , is lost cause there is no agility rating. Just a generic repose linear to all players .

For me that the the main driver , for me , to decide not to pursue development of concrete numbers for combine drills like 20 yard shuttle . ...and or three cone. Ball carry is similar but it no agility rating.

Last edited at 12/30/2017 10:56 am