NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Version 0.4.3 Release Candidate Discussion

By setherick
12/30/2017 11:13 am
A quick RCA of this would show that the core problem is the defensive playbook. We don't have effective plays, we have a limited selection of base defensive plays, and we will get penalized for overusing those base defensive plays.

For instance, as far as I know, we have no Tampa 2 defensive plays. We have no 4-3 defensive plays where the CBs are in M2M, the safeties in Cover 2, and the LBs run underneath zone coverage by splitting the field in thirds. The Cover 3 is really a cover 2.50 since 25-50% of the field is uncovered at any point. We have TWO and only TWO Cover 4 plays where the LBs play underneath coverage in the passing lanes, and the play is out of the 3-4 which means most don't have the play at all, and since zone is fragged, it doesn't work the way it should. We have an obscene amount of CB blitzes considering how rare CB blitzes actually are in the pros. And yet we have a paucity of Cover 1 and Cover 2 plays in the nickle. If I create a base defense playbook, I'm limited to like 7 plays.
Last edited at 12/30/2017 11:13 am

By raymattison21
12/30/2017 11:55 am
setherick wrote:
A quick RCA of this would show that the core problem is the defensive playbook. We don't have effective plays, we have a limited selection of base defensive plays, and we will get penalized for overusing those base defensive plays.

For instance, as far as I know, we have no Tampa 2 defensive plays. We have no 4-3 defensive plays where the CBs are in M2M, the safeties in Cover 2, and the LBs run underneath zone coverage by splitting the field in thirds. The Cover 3 is really a cover 2.50 since 25-50% of the field is uncovered at any point. We have TWO and only TWO Cover 4 plays where the LBs play underneath coverage in the passing lanes, and the play is out of the 3-4 which means most don't have the play at all, and since zone is fragged, it doesn't work the way it should. We have an obscene amount of CB blitzes considering how rare CB blitzes actually are in the pros. And yet we have a paucity of Cover 1 and Cover 2 plays in the nickle. If I create a base defense playbook, I'm limited to like 7 plays.

I have always said time spent on a play editor /creator would drive my energy to busting the code through new plays . One s that could actually solve a lot of said problems that we currently deal with. Though more work from jdb on the forefront , I honestly think it would save time in the long run. Cause I always liked our engines , even though they werent perfect, i just got sick of the plays . This one change would help drive a tight end game engine. But how much work would a play editor or creator would be?

By setherick
12/30/2017 11:57 am
More work than getting rid of overuse except for blitz plays.

By mardn72
12/30/2017 6:15 pm
FYI, I’ve also been running a pass only offense in MFN1 to test things. I don’t do it elsewhere, but it’s the easiest way to get a read on where the passing game is at (overpowered).

By Beercloud
12/30/2017 7:15 pm
Ive played in an online league that had a play creator and from my experience it becomes an exploit tool. So you gotta be very careful on how its done. I imagine chasing down and closing those exploits could be quite time consuming.

Not to discredit the option to have everybody creating their own plays, but another option might be to have a play creator for a few of you guru's out of sight to adjust existing and make new plays to add to the existing play books. Or even add a few additional play books for different coaching attributes. Then once theyre tested and everything looks good, introduce them, then add them in game.

Each new play that is introduced can create a buzz in the community when they come out. Iracing does this very successfully by bringing out new cars or tracks regularly. But not too regularly if ya get my drift. Everybody likes new and shinny things and they go crazy when they come out.

Buyer beware, you will start getting peeps begging for plays they want on a regular basis. But that is a good thing. A really good thing.

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:26 pm
setherick wrote:
What's worse blitzing every play? Or passing every play?

Blitzing every play.

By setherick
12/30/2017 7:28 pm
WarEagle wrote:
setherick wrote:
What's worse blitzing every play? Or passing every play?

Blitzing every play.

If that's where the game ends up, then I'll definitely quit again for a few more months. If I wanted to play a game where I could take a crappy QB and throw 70% and 7500 yards a season, then there are multiple other sims out there I can play that are more fun. :|

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:43 pm
There haven't been any meaningful improvements to this game in many, many months. I can't remember the last change that was actually a significant improvement to the games themselves.

In fact, it seems things are getting worse instead of better.

It was fun for a while before everyone started going blitz crazy. That ruined the game and nothing has been done to seriously address it, either the success from it or the root cause for why many owners want to do it.

By setherick
12/30/2017 7:52 pm
This isn't true. In fact, QB decision making, WRs using route to stutter, and pass blocking have all greatly improved offense against the blitz. Pass blocking was too overpowered, and now it is too weak. The problem is that the QB, WR, and OL improvements were not balanced out by improved coverage. So without the increased number of sacks, which do little to actually slow down QBs anyway, QBs sit in the pocket and complete every pass while DBs are largely useless except for tackling a WR after a play. The other problem is that it doesn't solve the issues with running the ball against the blitz. That still sucks.
Last edited at 12/30/2017 7:53 pm

By WarEagle
12/30/2017 7:59 pm
Ok. You're right.

The blitz issue still dwarfs anything else for me, so it's hard to feel any other improvements when that still hasn't been addressed.

Anyway, never mind me. I don't know why I've been so vocal on the boards today. I usually just drop in every few days to see if any improvements have been made. I'll go back to that.