NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Version 0.4.3 Release Candidate Discussion

By setherick
12/30/2017 8:03 pm
WarEagle wrote:
Ok. You're right.

The blitz issue still dwarfs anything else for me, so it's hard to feel any other improvements when that still hasn't been addressed.

Well, it's much more prevalent since we went from 0 sacks a game to 10+ sacks a game overnight. Pass Blocking needed to be adjusted incrementally up. The wild pendulum swings aren't good for anyone especially when there are other problems that need to be addressed. Right now, I've stopped reviewing film because of interior sacks and RB passing problems. I know there are coverage problems, but I just don't care enough to break down the film.

By raymattison21
12/31/2017 10:31 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
I wanted to make a thread that is specifically for the issues that 0.4.3 addresses, now that we are playing games again in the beta leagues. Just as a reminder, the things 0.4.3 deals with are:

B* QBs should come in cold off the bench and it should take a little bit for a new QB to get into rhythm. Obviously this is to combat the ability to keep 'fresh' QBs on the field. I also reduced some of the fatigue impact on QBs.

C, let the QB run....it will lower sacks....look at results after thats done* Since the end of the last season, I've attempted to add some pressure on QBs to get sack numbers up a little bit higher.

B+* Removed holding calls far away from the play.

C+, Too many dump offs . When that option is not present . ...any formation without a back....the QB just takes a sack* General QB decision making should be better, throwing to the open receiver more often. (Note that just because the QB doesn't throw to the best receiver does not mean this isn't working, because he still will make poor decisions - but in general, he should be making a better decision more often than previously)

C+, almost too quick some times. The qbs should be able to make a throw with a defender in thier face. Perhaps not all game long...hit after hit.... if he doesn't throw you can almost guarantee a sack half of the time* QB should be releasing the ball much more quickly

B+, I like where this is at.* M2M coverage should be improved, where WR can juke and lose their M2M coverage, and good M2M coverage should reduce passes into tight coverage and reduce the success of passes that do go into tight coverage. Again, there will still be successful passes into tight coverage, but it should be more rare than before.

B, ints behind the line of scrimmage is because of what I said earlier about quick throws...reduce the pressure circle * DL interceptions should be significantly reduced

Quite a few items there. If you notice an issue specifically with these items - which means new issues that these changes created, or issues that these changes should have addressed but didn't - please post comments and plays to this thread. If there are other bugs relating to other aspects, please continue to post them into separate threads to be looked at in a future version. I'll also start another thread to get feedback on what items are the biggest pain points to look into for 0.4.4.

trying to stay focused here....but feel a B + grade is good enough for a push into all leagues

By setherick
12/31/2017 10:52 am
I agree with a B+ rating after RB passing and sacks are addressed. I think sacks though will need to be combination QB running, throw away passes, and __minor__ adjustments to blocking, __minor__. Like split the difference between the WAY TOO STRONG pass blocking before the change and the WAY TOO INEFFECTIVE pass blocking we have now.

That said, M2M and Zone coverage need to be the focus of the next release. We'll just have to play contain defense until then.
Last edited at 12/31/2017 10:53 am

By raymattison21
12/31/2017 10:52 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
Pushing a couple of tweaks today in regards to setherick's film review:

B+* Trying to fix the RB dump pass timing

D+, worst grade out of everything . Most likely because of the value of speed in general and the lack of B&R creation for LBs. I am watching 50s just get torched regularly * Reducing the probability a low B&R WR will play B&R, and also trying to reduce it further if he is concerned about being beat because the WR is faster

B, a bit over powered * Reworking the punish receiver logic a bit to address the items listed by setherick

I haven't done any long-term testing yet but will over the next few days to make sure this doesn't ruin passing stats, but in general the plays this should impact should be the ones most obviously in error. Hopefully those high-punish CBs will have more impact with this update.

overall, B&R and how overpowered it is as related to speed, Avioding sacks and how reliant it is beating the blitz in stead of throwning to the open man quickly , QB release as they should have pulled it down and ran anyway ....are the changes that have failed up to this point. Which in my opinion a B+ is good enough for a push

and as seth said Almost all of the qbs in mfn1 are 85+ in accuracy , fov, and look off...with most other relevant ratings above 50 or higher. My 50 rated qb in 87 is struggling severely , but he has only accuracy a good oline and good recievers . So imo passing is much more reliant on QB than before

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/01/2018 1:11 pm
I've got some fixes in for DB coverage and RB routes but am still a little hesitant about pushing this to Beta because the improved DB coverage is resulting in lots of sacks. In my test leagues I've got significant defense now, the games are super-low-scoring, so I'm still spending time looking through them.

By mardn72
1/01/2018 2:24 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
I've got some fixes in for DB coverage and RB routes but am still a little hesitant about pushing this to Beta because the improved DB coverage is resulting in lots of sacks. In my test leagues I've got significant defense now, the games are super-low-scoring, so I'm still spending time looking through them.

Can we just turn down sacks again and try it in the beta? They are too high at the moment, especially for interior linemen. It’d also be interesting to see the pendulum swing towards the defense more than it has in the past.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/01/2018 2:33 pm
mardn72 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Can we just turn down sacks again and try it in the beta? They are too high at the moment, especially for interior linemen. It’d also be interesting to see the pendulum swing towards the defense more than it has in the past.

That's essentially what I'm looking for before throwing it in, but I do want to ensure that the sacks are the reason that the offenses are getting killed.

By raymattison21
1/01/2018 4:03 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
mardn72 wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

That's essentially what I'm looking for before throwing it in, but I do want to ensure that the sacks are the reason that the offenses are getting killed.

You could say it is sacks, but in truth it's the blitz . Here The top sacking teams blitz alot using mostly LBs, and the bottom ranking team mostly blitz DBs.

The correlation of blitzes of Linebackers and wins is staggering . Especially , when combined with elite dline men and dbs. I know that stragety makes sense here but it's not a real stragety for football .

In the nfl....top blitzing team didn't have top win loss records.

First, in the nfl the league-wide cliffnotes: So far this season there has been 1,824 blitzes across the 32 teams, with teams blitzing on average 29 percent of their defensive snaps

Here.....is see blitzes 75 percent of the time if not more vs. Top teams.

Coverage should get beat if the qb has time. My QB sees the blitz and takes a sack. That's it. Especially on long pass plays .

It is only not sack numbers that are a problem. One factor is Oline blitz pick ups just don't make sense....alot are just plan bad. Even when i have six blockers they are locked on every defender except the blitzers . ....who walk right in while the DE is double teamed.

Another factor for high sack numbers is hot reads (really they should be audibles for the recievers to run to the open space for an easy completion ) are not common enough for blitzes .

I could add that having more QBS scramble and smart recievers come back to open areas for easy first downs would lower sack numbers . As there were several good running qbs in the nfl and the ones that were not did much better jobs at getting rid of the ball safely. But I would like to see at least one to five carries per game for almost all of them.

After that up the broken tackles to really make those blitzing teams pay for only having limited players deep.

Then get rid of play abuse meter......or just lower sacks for interior linemen .....I will take that too!
Last edited at 1/01/2018 4:05 pm

By chinaski
1/03/2018 2:55 am
Getting torched on runs by WRs playing out of position as RBs is getting oooooold.

By blackflys
1/03/2018 4:28 am
The qbs are all studs in this league over 20 have 100 plus rating and some with 75 Percent passing. It seems like it's hard to judge a test league if the players ratings are so different then any other leagues
Last edited at 1/03/2018 4:31 am