NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version 0d5f5ac

By Smirt211
11/15/2020 12:31 pm
Lil switch up on words from some 90s rap...

Tell 'em how you roll...SNOOZE (cruise) control.

ZZZZZ. :(

Let me kick it like this. What's going to motivate me to go into my offensive playbook and corresponding over-rides if I can barely spit out a 300 yard passing game. You can't achieve any dream. You just stay in traffic = no motivation.

By TheAdmiral
11/15/2020 12:33 pm
CONCLUSIONS

Coaches calls need to be more varied and a higher percentage of calls should be pass attempts. At present you have Pass focused coaches that are running the ball over 50% of the time. In the NFL that percentage split is rare with maybe two teams out of 32 running more than passing

Completions need to be upped, primarily on deep passes

Sacks need to be lowered, either by improved play on QB scrambles (work in progress) or improving pass blocking so that strength beats speed when blocking - in particular when (much) lighter players are placed on the DL.

By TheAdmiral
11/15/2020 12:34 pm
Smirt211 wrote:

Let me kick it like this. What's going to motivate me to go into my offensive playbook and corresponding over-rides if I can barely spit out a 300 yard passing game. You can't achieve any dream. You just stay in traffic = no motivation.

I agree, which is why I'm pushing for changes to be made.

By TheAdmiral
11/15/2020 12:36 pm
Smirt211 wrote:

You don't call the Offensive plays in Roster Only, it's left entirely to the Coaches - you are merely the franchise owner/General manager building a roster.

By Smirt211
11/15/2020 12:37 pm
Obviously, I watch things and I saw what Infinity was kicking out. I'd (we'd) need to switch things to run first, pass second to be successful. Deep and tricky, though because savvy GMs will respond accordingly. Both sides collide with strategies and eventually offense probably drastically stalls and it becomes primarily a defensive game with minimal outputs offensively.
Last edited at 11/15/2020 12:40 pm

By Smirt211
11/15/2020 12:38 pm
You don't call the Offensive plays in Roster Only, it's left entirely to the Coaches - you are merely the franchise owner/General manager building a roster.

Yes, I know. Therefore, you're looking at garbage numbers passing wise because you can't finagle/aid it in any way yourself.
Last edited at 11/15/2020 12:39 pm

By TheAdmiral
11/15/2020 12:49 pm
Smirt211 wrote:

Yes, I know. Therefore, you looking at garbage numbers passing wise because you can't finagle/aid it in any way yourself.

Which is why I want AI Coaching to have a massive overhaul, it's like they all have the mindset of Jeff Fisher.

In Alpha/BETA you can set the percentages and push a gameplan into different directions by limiting the play calls available to essentially force a Coach into calling more pass plays than he wants.

There is also no consistency in the play calling. Last season my team was 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in YPA, this year with same Coach, same QB and same receivers we're 32nd in passing yards per game.

The Coaching is killing RO, switching to BETA has merely confirmed that. As there is less chance for an owner to impact the game, it is a purer version of what the game should be like.

If the intention was to kill the passing game, Mission Accomplished. However, I don't think that's what the masses want and until deep passing and pass blocking become relevant the game will slowly die off.

By Infinity on Trial
11/15/2020 1:14 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
Obviously, I watch things and I saw what Infinity was kicking out. I'd (we'd) need to switch things to run first, pass second to be successful. Deep and tricky, though because savvy GMs will respond accordingly. Both sides collide with strategies and eventually offense probably drastically stalls and it becomes primarily a defensive game with minimal outputs offensively.

I'm thinking about whether it's possible to shut down the running game in this code and, if so, whether that will make it easier to pass. As it is, your best bet for winning in this code is rushing for 300 yards and throwing no more than 20 times. I don't think that's quite what anyone was hoping for, but it will certainly change things.

Tentatively, there may actually be a wider variety of passes that work under this code, and seth and I are trying to put them to test. Also, receivers with great skills appear to be far more important than athletic/fast receivers, so it could take some time to get a good feel for how to put together an effective passing game.
Last edited at 11/15/2020 1:15 pm

By TheAdmiral
11/15/2020 1:26 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:

I'm thinking about whether it's possible to shut down the running game in this code and, if so, whether that will make it easier to pass. As it is, your best bet for winning in this code is rushing for 300 yards and throwing no more than 20 times. I don't think that's quite what anyone was hoping for, but it will certainly change things.

Tentatively, there may actually be a wider variety of passes that work under this code, and seth and I are trying to put them to test. Also, receivers with great skills appear to be far more important than athletic/fast receivers, so it could take some time to get a good feel for how to put together an effective passing game.

Before everyone gets carried away with the rush being dominant, over half the league (MFN1) are averaging less than 100ypg. Yes Detroit are dominating but they have almost 100 yards per game more than the second best.

By Infinity on Trial
11/15/2020 2:14 pm
I expect we would see a lot more/better running in a more experienced league.