NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
2/07/2017 8:09 am
WarEagle wrote:
JDB

I was hoping you would give us an update about what your plans are to address the issue with the teams that are using the "blitz every down" strategy.

I'm currently working on building a large test suite to identify plays (both offense and defense) that are overpowering plays and figure out what the opponent needs to do to overcome that. I'd really like to remove the overuse penalty that's currently here and actually enable the teams to adjust more appropriately. Stay tuned, I'll hopefully have some changes by the preseason here, just not quite resolved as to what they will be yet.

By adamsneeka
2/13/2017 3:55 am
Allow the coaches to pick plays from their playbook that are effective against the overpowered plays even if the owners haven't selected them.

Or a crazy idea here let the HC/OC/DC select the plays for a game based on the history of their opponent and their teams relative strengths and weaknesses. If the owners don't like the plays they can hire a new head coach.

Another idea allow QB's based on intelligence to identify plays and audible into effective counter plays

By WarEagle
2/13/2017 9:39 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
WarEagle wrote:
JDB

I was hoping you would give us an update about what your plans are to address the issue with the teams that are using the "blitz every down" strategy.

I'm currently working on building a large test suite to identify plays (both offense and defense) that are overpowering plays and figure out what the opponent needs to do to overcome that. I'd really like to remove the overuse penalty that's currently here and actually enable the teams to adjust more appropriately. Stay tuned, I'll hopefully have some changes by the preseason here, just not quite resolved as to what they will be yet.

Does this mean your goal is to have no penalty for a gameplan consisting of nothing but blitz plays?

2/13/2017 1:21 pm
WarEagle wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
WarEagle wrote:
JDB

Does this mean your goal is to have no penalty for a gameplan consisting of nothing but blitz plays?

My goal is to have the offense adjust correctly when they face a gameplan consisting of nothing but blitz plays so that doing that game plan doesn't give you the success it does now. May not be in this version, but ultimately, how would it be handled in real life? There's a reason NFL teams don't blitz on every down, but in MFN the offense doesn't adjust when it happens.

2/13/2017 1:25 pm
BTW, I think I'll have a new update ready in time for the first preseason game. Mainly:

* Reducing broken tackles
* More tweaking with the blocking timing
* Tweaked the overuse penalty so it's not slowing players down

I've also got some ideas on the passing game to make the QB accuracy more impactful - someone mentioned in another thread that it seems that the higher accuracy passers tend to also throw more interceptions because the lower accuracy passers miss so widely. I'd like to play with this for the upcoming release, but trying to decide if I want to push that to the next release.

By JCSwishMan33
2/13/2017 2:03 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
My goal is to have the offense adjust correctly when they face a gameplan consisting of nothing but blitz plays so that doing that game plan doesn't give you the success it does now. May not be in this version, but ultimately, how would it be handled in real life? There's a reason NFL teams don't blitz on every down, but in MFN the offense doesn't adjust when it happens.

Depends... I would think that in the NFL, between the HC / OC / QB on offense and the HC / DC / Whoever Is "Mic'd" on defense, that's where adjustments would come in.

The MFN Playbooks only allow for us to select 40 / 30 plays for a game (call them 'focus plays'?), but the playbooks are still there in full at all times. Maybe there can be a rule / setting for if overuse of the focus plays occurs where it could detriment your team, the coach / coordinator calls plays that could work based on a set criteria, i.e. team familiarity or yards per play in the last X number of games... Kind of like the filtering we already have. That way, we still set a focused gameplan, but there's still some wiggle if the going gets rough.

How quickly the coach / coordinator notes the overuse, and how good the playcalling will be... Not sure how those would based. I would've said Intelligence / Discipline / 'Positional Skill', but those don't seem to be (at least visible) ratings for coaches. And I'd hate for coaches to have to get a major overhaul for this.

By Beercloud
2/13/2017 3:04 pm
Here's a link to give an idea on NFL blitz percentages in 2013 i think.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/team-blitzing/
Last edited at 2/13/2017 3:04 pm

By setherick
2/13/2017 7:41 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:

I've also got some ideas on the passing game to make the QB accuracy more impactful - someone mentioned in another thread that it seems that the higher accuracy passers tend to also throw more interceptions because the lower accuracy passers miss so widely. I'd like to play with this for the upcoming release, but trying to decide if I want to push that to the next release.

That was me, and my statement was purely anecdotal based on watching low accuracy and high accuracy QBs play. I don't have specific stats to back it up, but it seems logically true.

By setherick
2/14/2017 8:24 am
Instead of nerfing blitzes or making the offense do weird things when they face a blitz every down, why not make it so that draw plays and hot routes, you know, work.

We've talked a lot about how screens would help us beat blitzing teams, but no one has talked about how draw plays can be equally effective against a blitz. The object for them is to pull the LBs to the QB so that they cannot react fast enough when the QB hands the ball off to the RB. If the RB can get to the LOS, then he'd be at the second level immediately because the LBs will have been suckered in. The problem is that they do not work on the game...at all. Just imagine what a good running team could do to a blitz heavy team if the shotgun delay sweep worked.

The other problem is that hot routes do not work outside of one or two plays. The only time I've seen a hot route consistently called when a team blitzes is when a team runs the 113 slot slant play. Few other plays send a hot route right at the LBs either.

By raymattison21
2/14/2017 9:59 am
setherick wrote:
Instead of nerfing blitzes or making the offense do weird things when they face a blitz every down, why not make it so that draw plays and hot routes, you know, work.

We've talked a lot about how screens would help us beat blitzing teams, but no one has talked about how draw plays can be equally effective against a blitz. The object for them is to pull the LBs to the QB so that they cannot react fast enough when the QB hands the ball off to the RB. If the RB can get to the LOS, then he'd be at the second level immediately because the LBs will have been suckered in. The problem is that they do not work on the game...at all. Just imagine what a good running team could do to a blitz heavy team if the shotgun delay sweep worked.

The other problem is that hot routes do not work outside of one or two plays. The only time I've seen a hot route consistently called when a team blitzes is when a team runs the 113 slot slant play. Few other plays send a hot route right at the LBs either.

IDK about that .....I have always stated the biggest problem is real life rules within the assignments .

DE has many of those like all positions and it all depends on the positioning of the players around him . Inside shoulder....outside shoulder . ....head up.....all of these minute changes change the first step a DE should take.

His main responsibility is to maintain contain. If his assignment is to crash left or right....as long as there another guy outside of him he doesn't need to hold that contain as much. Now he can utilize all his moves not just a outside rush with contain responsibility .

For example the only time a de should crash down like they do every play here is if he is line up inside shoulder to the tackle . ...that's a two gap DE in a 3-4....

Another senerio would be out of a 4-3 where he has a TE to his outside shoulder....he's gonna try ro shoot that gap with outside contain, but if the offensive tackle pulls or drives hard inside he has to go with him to blow up counters the other way. The same will happen if the play is his way, but he better be ready for a big and mobile tackle, guard, or FB to come barreling down on him.

As for a draw or delay those linemen are going to sell pass then seal off the pursuit angles of the rushers. It shouldn't be a given but it should work against a team being aggressive on the outside. Blitzes in the middle would blow that up. That's where I would drop some screens or hot routes to the slot or TE.

This is why team run the option to confuse the guys on the outside....as a DE should really cross the line and wait for the QB to hand it off to the FB....then pursue or wait for the FB fake and bat down that option pass or wait for the QB to turn it up.....then pursue him.....or bat down that lateral to the RB. Hoping your man behind made all there right reads and is there to smash the RB in the face right after he received the lateral.

Here the end would crash and it would be over . Same as a screen same as an end around.

Still, without defensive linemen stunts and proper alignment and cover assignments boosting anything out of offense would be a hasty decision.

As guys align there rules to fit formations/plays to placedefensive players in poor positions in the first place is a way bigger problem .

Those guys have a clear advantage over everone who is not using rules to mitigate a glaring problem in the first place. The way blitzes work is broke too. You don't turn in to a gunner on a blitz . ....you still have gaps that need to be filled first.

A simple play like a quick pitch should work better, but DBS play like ray lewis....taking on huge offensive tackles with ease. These guys are like hitting brick walls ....thier legs are like tree trunks. I don't think I has every seen a db get injured while taking on a block from a big guy head on .

Besides getting mauled, you might get lucky to dive at his legs and only take a knee to hopefully some padded part. Here its like a 80 percent chance that tiny DB will take both the back and the offense tackle.