NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/21/2017 10:17 am
WarEagle wrote:
I agree 100% with the first and last statements above, so I don't understand the middle statement?.

The reason for #2 is because I still would like to see longer-term impacts of changes before releasing the next version, changes going too quickly and not having any time to settle also don't give an accurate picture of their impact. I'd like to see a full season (or nearly full season) of a significant change before considering it successful.

Comment #2 is also not saying that I don't intend to make smaller tweaks regularly, but changes of the magnitude that we had in this season are on the top end of the scale that I'd like to see, just because too many changes too quickly can make it hard to identify the reason certain things are happening.

By lellow2011
1/21/2017 11:27 am
Deep passing defense still seems non existent at times https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/box/view/5964

By raymattison21
1/21/2017 12:27 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
I run a FB dive and the half back some how runs ahead of the FB to block?

This has been an issue any time you've had a RB with high acceleration, and is one piece I am planning to fix in 0.4.1.

My reference is directed towards the effect of the FBs intelligence ratings slow him enough to allow the HB to catch up as he looks for a hole. None of this would be possible with out run blocks being held too long....

I like the whole idea but see some unbalances. It should all be quicker...the HB gets there in time but the FB is too slow and blockers are forced to hold them long to allow the FB to get more than a yard or two.

BTW my 100 acceleration FB is blowing it up this year...don't get me wrong I love it, but dline men should be smacking him I the face.

As a FB I loved to get to the second level , cause I would just run over guys, but **** it was tough to get there...and you only had a split second to make that read off you guards him...more so i was concerned with him or my center making the right read.......under the code it's a can't miss.

This reference is league wide....a 66 speed wr running twice the speed of a 100 speed TE as the TE is waiting for his blocker, but when the WR gets there to block he gets tackled anyway because he was running slow?

As for running I would look a these line backers that run away from the running back...

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5955#1071818

By Tecra031
1/26/2017 10:39 am
Ok, so let's talk about play over-use penalties. The NJY-IND playoff game was ridiculous. EVERY single defensive play from IND was a heavy blitz....ALL GAME. At some point, shouldn't the logic dictate that I would start picking up the blitz and beating the blitz consistently? Additionally, I game planned more than half my defensive scouting plays against the blitz and had a higher game plan adjustment setting just for that purpose. Thankfully 2030 is done!

Please scrap the over-use system, it doesnt work outside of sending the notifications.

By lellow2011
1/26/2017 11:42 am
Tecra031 wrote:
Ok, so let's talk about play over-use penalties. The NJY-IND playoff game was ridiculous. EVERY single defensive play from IND was a heavy blitz....ALL GAME. At some point, shouldn't the logic dictate that I would start picking up the blitz and beating the blitz consistently? Additionally, I game planned more than half my defensive scouting plays against the blitz and had a higher game plan adjustment setting just for that purpose. Thankfully 2030 is done!

Please scrap the over-use system, it doesnt work outside of sending the notifications.

In fact it seems using a variety of plays puts you at a disadvantage if you're trying to mix in some zones seeing as how the zones do not even work properly.

By WarEagle
1/26/2017 3:24 pm
Tecra031 wrote:

A better solution (to me) is to make it work! Or do something, anything, to get rid of this type of BS.

This is killing this game, and it doesn't seem to matter.

By Smirt211
1/26/2017 6:44 pm
WarEagle wrote:
I agree with everything Ares said, especially these parts:

Ares wrote:
1) Blitzes are insanely effective against both the run and pass and there is no current counter to them like there is in real life...

...We can't stop blitzes and we're at a competitive disadvantage if we don't similarly restrict our playbooks.

To me, this is the only thing that has really made me consider seriously leaving MFN. I hate playing games against the people who are using this strategy just as much as I hated playing games against good ole Stealbom (who would basically run a FB dive every play to ensure he always had the #1 pick).

It's a crappy way to play the game, but as long as it is so effective and nearly unbeatable without "fighting fire with fire", there are always going to be plenty of users doing it.

I would love for there to be another solution to address this problem, but until there is I am very happy to have significant penalties applied in-game when someone decides to use this strategy.

It would be fine with me if after a certain number of these blitzes the defense just took a knee every time it was called again. Maybe it would be better to just have the Ai remove those plays as an option once they have been used a certain amount of times.

The bottom line (for me) is that this game just isn't any fun when you face teams like this knowing there is really nothing you can do about it (especially in regular leagues that have the bad OL blocking / QB Play / QB Pressure penalties).

I agree with this 100%. I've been close to leaving because of it.

By Smirt211
1/26/2017 7:06 pm
WarEagle wrote:
Tecra031 wrote:

A better solution (to me) is to make it work! Or do something, anything, to get rid of this type of BS.

This is killing this game, and it doesn't seem to matter.

It's scary what I've seen out there. A GM could have an 8 play offensive playbook or lets say a very poor one you can easily cover and scout and on the flip side they'll be running a 2-3 blitz defensive playbook so of course you scout and cover them. Now your team has a much more potent offense and I run full playbooks I adjust now here and there but basically 40/30 playbooks and the other team will just demolish me. Runs decimated and I'm sacked over and over. I groan when I am scouting an all blitz team, especially the very narrow, selective ones because I know the game will be joyless to watch.

The greatest pleasure I ever got in playing this game was Week 1 of League 70 when my highly powered WRs about 6 deep went off for 75+ yards TD after TD against someone running a 3 blitz defense.

By Mr.Krazy
1/26/2017 8:48 pm
Tecra031 wrote:

Just the fact that Punisher's team beat yours is a real head-scratcher. ****, even how his team made it to the playoffs is a miracle in its own right. Guess we found the right engine for him to start winning
Last edited at 1/26/2017 8:56 pm

By Smirt211
1/26/2017 9:17 pm
Well, I'm near certain what he did was witness the success of Lellow and replicated it but stuck to the two most highly successful blitzes. Super short cut to success, least time spent possible.