NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By Beercloud
2/14/2017 10:23 am
Instead of nerfing blitzes or making the offense do weird things when they face a blitz every down, why not make it so that draw plays and hot routes, you know, work.

We've talked a lot about how screens would help us beat blitzing teams, but no one has talked about how draw plays can be equally effective against a blitz. The object for them is to pull the LBs to the QB so that they cannot react fast enough when the QB hands the ball off to the RB. If the RB can get to the LOS, then he'd be at the second level immediately because the LBs will have been suckered in. The problem is that they do not work on the game...at all. Just imagine what a good running team could do to a blitz heavy team if the shotgun delay sweep worked.

The other problem is that hot routes do not work outside of one or two plays. The only time I've seen a hot route consistently called when a team blitzes is when a team runs the 113 slot slant play. Few other plays send a hot route right at the LBs either.

There is a RB Delay in one of my playbooks.

Are we talking about blitzing 1 or more in the 4-3 and 2 or more in the 3-4 and nickle?

Blitzing with a 3-4 is pretty much common place and blitzing just one is pretty much the same as a 4-3 base. We just dont know where that 4th rusher is coming from. The 3-4 can also act as a nickle of course. So if were talking about making adjustments to combat the blitz ya gotta be careful not to kill the 3-4 or the nickle in doing so. 50+ scores is not appealing.

A screen pass would a be nicely added feature. In RL they seem to get blown up quite a bit now a days with the D-lines being so fast. Not to say they never work cause they do on occasion. But I've seen many of screens get blown up by a blitz from the outside.

Maybe a players intel could play a bigger factor on both sides of the ball when it comes to blitzing and identifying the blitz. To me no player should have 100 intel. That would be genius status.

Besides audibles, shifting and motion is another tool to help a QB identify a blitz. But how could any of these 3 be used in a game like this? Cause the Defense is making as many or more adjustments at the line of scrimmage as the Offense is. How would you even code such things? It's mind boggling.

Last edited at 2/23/2017 12:57 pm

By raymattison21
2/14/2017 11:06 am
Beercloud wrote:
Instead of nerfing blitzes or making the offense do weird things when they face a blitz every down, why not make it so that draw plays and hot routes, you know, work.

We've talked a lot about how screens would help us beat blitzing teams, but no one has talked about how draw plays can be equally effective against a blitz. The object for them is to pull the LBs to the QB so that they cannot react fast enough when the QB hands the ball off to the RB. If the RB can get to the LOS, then he'd be at the second level immediately because the LBs will have been suckered in. The problem is that they do not work on the game...at all. Just imagine what a good running team could do to a blitz heavy team if the shotgun delay sweep worked.

The other problem is that hot routes do not work outside of one or two plays. The only time I've seen a hot route consistently called when a team blitzes is when a team runs the 113 slot slant play. Few other plays send a hot route right at the LBs either.

There is a RB Delay in one of my playbooks.

Are we talking about blitzing 1 or more in the 4-3 and 2 or more in the 3-4 and nickle?

Blitzing with a 3-4 is pretty much common place and blitzing just one is pretty much the same as a 4-3 base. We just dont know where that 4th rusher is coming from. The 3-4 can also act as a nickle of course. So if were talking about making adjustments to combat the blitz ya gotta be careful not to kill the 3-4 or the nickle in doing so. 50+ scores is not appealing.

A screen pass would a be nicely added feature. In RL they seem to get blown up quite a bit now a days with the D-lines being so fast. Not to say they never work cause they do on occasion. But I've seen many of screens get blown up by a blitz from the outside.

Maybe a players intel could play a bigger factor on both sides of the ball when it comes to blitzing and identifying the blitz. To me no player should have 100 intel. That would be genius status.

Besides audibles, shifting and motion is another tool to help a QB identify a blitz. But how could any of these 3 be used in a game like this? Cause the Defense is making as many or more adjustments at the line of scrimmage as the Offense is. How would you even code such things? It's mind boggling.

I agree with alot of that.

As for the last part I pretend all that happened already and the QB has already made his read....if his intelligence is low generically he will miss open guys..

Our system acts more like an ability to be clutch then what I feel it takes to read a blitz . I don't think Tom Brady was fooled at all yet it wasn't until the falcons got tired and they switched to more zone was the time when Brady went off. I watched him miss reads all day and get hit hard because it.

By WarEagle
2/14/2017 12:52 pm
setherick wrote:

I don't see how this would make a difference.

When you have multiple defenders coming right up the middle and/or right off the edges, you're still going to have someone between the RB and the LOS. The only difference is that the RB wouldn't begin moving forward until later, resulting in a 4-6 yard loss instead of the usual 1-2 yard loss.

I don't see how the Shotgun run plays will ever work when there is a defender right in the RB's face just as he's receiving the handoff, unless you significantly increase the likelihood of all defenders behind the LOS missing the tackle.

By Beercloud
2/20/2017 10:32 am
Is there anything in particular you want us to be testing this pre-season?

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
2/20/2017 11:55 am
Beercloud wrote:
Is there anything in particular you want us to be testing this pre-season?

Right now I'm looking for some of the issues we had at the end of last season to be resolved. I have updated the run blocking code and also have updated the zone coverage algorithm, so if you still see any issues with those please post them.

By punisher
2/21/2017 1:23 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:

Right now I'm looking for some of the issues we had at the end of last season to be resolved. I have updated the run blocking code and also have updated the zone coverage algorithm, so if you still see any issues with those please post them.

the waiver wire is showing on game day which it is only suppose to show on week.

2/21/2017 1:43 pm
punisher wrote:
the waiver wire is showing on game day which it is only suppose to show on week.

It should show any time there were cuts, but they won't be processed until the next midweek. Any cuts that happen during the next stage will be added to the waiver wire.

By raymattison21
2/23/2017 10:33 am
Qb blitz reads are still off. My guy missed an open drag by the WR2 to open the game...off a CB blitz right in his face. Blitz reads got to come from the side the blitzers are coming from.

Running looked stellar along with pocket formation, but PRs might get a boost....not the worst thing

Zone looked good but man looked off....all habitual offenders had lower to no man skills and it wasn't until the overuse penalty was used that my team benifited.

While my faster guy was still run down from behind by a slower and significantly poorer player , but it was after play over use.

Still, miles better than last season. Nice work ! I would keep the same path and hopefully some guys in this league give some typed feedback . ....still it will not be until preseason is over for any final thoughts . ....

I thought my qb 2 played too well as his only skill is mobility and 99 accuracy . Going deep he was pinpoint and my 99 Arm guy would under throw deep passes? I wish he all guys over threw deep passes

2/23/2017 10:54 am
Doing final testing on QB accuracy updates ... getting good numbers in my unit tests, waiting for a full season to sim in my testing environment. Won't be ready for tonight's sim but unless there's a major hiccup I should have it here for pre-season week 3. Basically, QB accuracy will have a greater impact on the completion percentage and interception percentage.

By Ares
2/23/2017 11:40 pm
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I feel arm strength should have a great impact than it currently does, especially on deep and sideline throws. Far too many noodle armed QBs rocking all-long-throw offenses currently.