NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By RLWJR
12/13/2016 7:18 am
I saw this displayed in my first game.

By WarEagle
12/13/2016 8:07 am
Then it's spotty at best.

I haven't seen it at all yet.

I'm assuming there is also no penalty for overuse if the message isn't displayed, since they should have the same trigger.

By JCSwishMan33
12/13/2016 9:09 am
I've seen it once in each of the last 2 games in the 4th quarter, in the form of "It looks like the offense is starting to get familiar with that defensive play.".

Game 1 it was against my defense, and the run play went for 8 yards... This was the eighth instance the play (4-3 Normal Cover 2 MLB Blitz) was called by my defense in the game, and it wasn't even the biggest gain against that play.

Game 2 it was my offense benefiting, and the pass play -was- a 20 yard strike that got called back for holding... This was the third instance the play (Dime Normal Cover 2) was called against my offense in the game, and again it wasn't the biggest gain against that play.

So take all that for what it's worth.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/13/2016 9:11 am
WarEagle wrote:

I'm assuming there is also no penalty for overuse if the message isn't displayed, since they should have the same trigger.

The penalty exists, but the message only shows up if the play had a bad result for the team doing the overuse. (It wouldn't make sense if the offense still scored a touchdown and the play-by-play said something like 'that play would have been better if the defense didn't see it coming')

I'll turn it up a bit and see if it has more of an impact in game 3.

By lellow2011
12/13/2016 9:14 am
I saw it once on a play I used 16 times, but the play I used 58 times never triggered it.

By Beercloud
12/13/2016 11:44 am
i did not see this in my first game(i couldve missed it) but i did see it in my last game. It the game was under 3 mins and the other team was down by 9 which forced obvious pass downs. So my coach was calling a narrow range of defensive plays at that point.

I have all 30 plays selected on defense (with no rules in place). It did hurt me as the other team did get a nice gain on the play. It seemed to work well in the game with San Diego.

By raymattison21
12/13/2016 12:52 pm
Beercloud wrote:
i did not see this in my first game(i couldve missed it) but i did see it in my last game. It the game was under 3 mins and the other team was down by 9 which forced obvious pass downs. So my coach was calling a narrow range of defensive plays at that point.

I have all 30 plays selected on defense (with no rules in place). It did hurt me as the other team did get a nice gain on the play. It seemed to work well in the game with San Diego.

How many times did you call the play? By then...or total.

By raymattison21
12/13/2016 1:10 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

The penalty exists, but the message only shows up if the play had a bad result for the team doing the overuse. (It wouldn't make sense if the offense still scored a touchdown and the play-by-play said something like 'that play would have been better if the defense didn't see it coming')

Here's the setting..

Its the tire quarter and Tennessee kept thier starters in, but I had subbed in my 2nd team.

We're ok and our backups are not the best so we're not expecting much....but then I see this after a QB run.......I though the new display and play overuse was in effect..

1-10-TEN 35 (6:14) 3-Bruce Cannon ran to TEN 43 for 8 yards. Tackle by 99-Manuel Tracy. I think the defense might be using that play a bit too frequently

I was like It must be calling that play alot cause thier coming out in a 3 wide set....who cares they did not even get the first.....

I did not think much as it was a mute play that had little effect on the outcome.

But the big problem is how it's supposed to work....the experiences other are having......combined with information found upon further inspection of this senerio has me confused.....

I called the play only 5 times.

Its either personal (jk!)or I simply ask how Lellow gets to call one 58 and I get only 5?

Then I ask why turn it up if these are the results ? Are ours out liers? Was my play mute, receiving the minimalist penalty and lellows was already maximized.

This one flat rate saying a "bit too frequently" has me a bit bothered, because of range of results.

Based off this ....I am wondering why and when they gave me a similar call and penalty the first game.

By WarEagle
12/13/2016 2:04 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

For testing purposes, I'm not concerned with the actual verbiage of the play-by-play text or whether it make sense. It can always be changed if/when this makes it into the next version.

I would like to see confirmation that the Ai is keeping track of this and applying a penalty, regardless of what the result of the play was.

It would be great if the text said "Defense/Offense has called this play X number of times, resulting in a penalty of Y for this play".

That would actually give us something to evaluate and might even enable us to have some good feedback for you.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/13/2016 2:34 pm
Well, it's not a yardage penalty, it's an attribute boost for the other team, and it increases gradually as you call the same play multiple times. So it's kind of hard to objectively report it.