NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By Wolfpack
12/20/2016 8:45 am
I started getting the defensive penalty applied early, during my second series in the 1st quarter. Thats a little soon no? Seems like the offensive got a huge speed boost and ripped off some long runs at will after that.

By WarEagle
12/20/2016 8:50 am
Wolfpack wrote:
I started getting the defensive penalty applied early, during my second series in the 1st quarter. Thats a little soon no? Seems like the offensive got a huge speed boost and ripped off some long runs at will after that.

Not if you've already called the same play enough times.

The same thing happened to me. I called the same play on D for a while to start the game.

First series: 3 and out.
Second series: 3 and out (started getting the notification)
Third series: TD for my opponent.

A great improvement in my opinion.
Last edited at 12/20/2016 8:50 am

By WarEagle
12/20/2016 8:53 am
Actually, I called the same play every time.

I'm not sure why that happened, as I had adjusted my playbook prior to the first game.

Now I'll have to do it again. Oh well, I was going to do that anyway.
Last edited at 12/20/2016 8:53 am

By raymattison21
12/20/2016 9:26 am
WarEagle wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

Not if you've already called the same play enough times.

The same thing happened to me. I called the same play on D for a while to start the game.

First series: 3 and out.
Second series: 3 and out (started getting the notification)
Third series: TD for my opponent.

A great improvement in my opinion.

Until screen are added I am OK with this level....perhaps let me see the notification at play ten.

By JCSwishMan33
12/20/2016 11:11 am
So, here's what I saw for my first game with the new changes. I scoured my log, and got all (hopefully) of the plays that caused the penalties to go.

I captured the play itself, the time (as in 5th time, 6th time, etc.) it was called, the yardage allowed / received that time, and any interesting result (T for TD, F for Fumble, I for INT, * means that both the offense and defense were 'penalized' for play overuse).

To me, it didn't seem like the penalties had much consistency to them; my opponent's offense was gaining an overall similar yardage from the 5th to the 25th (!!!) call of the same defense against it.

As a side note: I set my playbooks to their max numbers (40 Off, 30 Def), using familiarity and yards per use as determining factors to what made it in... In other words, I tried to put together an actual playbook, and not just one play over and over. :) Out of the 30 plays I had available on defense, one got called 25 times in the 70 offensive plays run by my opponent. Does that seem weird to anyone else?

Anyway, I'm still lukewarm about the 'penalties' thing, but maybe it's just because I'm not seeing it for what it is?

-----

1st Half

CLE Defense - Nickel Strong 2 Deep Man Under (5th for 12, 6th for 0, 7th for 10, 8th for 8, 9th for 13, 10th for incomplete, 11th for 5, 12th for 5, 13th for incomplete, 14th for 10)
CLE Defense - Nickel Strong 3 Deep Zone Under (5th for 22, 6th for 8, 7th for 13, 8th for 9, 9th for 19)
CLE Defense - 4-3 Normal Man OLB Flat Zone (5th for 3, 6th for 16, 7th for 4)

PHI Defense - Nickel 3-3-5 Cover 2 Man Under (5th for 75T, 6th for 19)

2nd Half

CLE Defense - Nickel Strong 3 Deep Zone Under (10th for 6*, 11th for -1I, 12th for 0F*)
CLE Defense - 4-3 Normal Man OLB Flat Zone (8th for incomplete, 9th for incomplete, 10th for 2, 11th for 11, 12th for -0, 13th for 29*, 14th for -2, 15th for 2)
CLE Defense - Nickel Strong 2 Deep Man Under (15th for 63T, 16th for 14*, 17th for incomplete, 18th for 23, 19th for incomplete, 20th for 17*, 21st for 9*, 22nd for 9, 23rd for 11*, 24th for 65T, 25th for 14*)
CLE Defense - Nickel Normal SS Blitz (5th for 3*, 6th for 21)

CLE Offense - Singleback Normal HB Inside Weak (5th for 7)
CLE Offense - Goal Line Normal HB Outside Strong (5th for 5, 6th for -2*, 7th for 2*)

PHI Defense - Nickel 3-3-5 Cover 2 Man Under (7th for 10, 8th for 12, 9th for incomplete, 10th for incomplete, 11th for 14, 12th for 19, 13th for incomplete, 14th for incomplete)
PHI Defense - Goal Line 3 Deep Man (5th for -2*, 6th for 1, 7th for 2*)
PHI Defense - Nickel Strong 2 Deep Man Under (5th for 8)

PHI Offense - Singleback Normal HB Dive Weak (5th for 6*, 6th for 14*, 7th for 3*, 8th for 2, 9th for 11*, 10th for 0F*, 11th for 14*)
PHI Offense - Singleback Normal HB Dive Strong (5th for -1, 6th for 17*, 7th for 9*, 8th for 9*, 9th for -1)
PHI Offense - Singleback Big HB Inside Strong (5th for -2, 6th for 29*)
Last edited at 12/20/2016 11:11 am

By Beercloud
12/20/2016 2:54 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5732#1031104

A couple things (other than the obvious) that I noticed.

Punisher was able to call the same couple of plays on each side of the ball which will show some good data on the newer game adjustments. In the 1st half those plays on offense couldn't really be stopped. 34-14 at the half. Then in the 3rd quarter the game adjusted for those plays pretty hard which can be expected.

But I still see the ability to possibly spam palys in the first half then spam a different set in the second half to counter the adjustments. It would be nice to test that out under the same conditions. I almost think the game shouldve adjusted much sooner. Then figure out how to make it not swing so hard back the other way to get the scores we had. Maybe if any play is call x amount of times the rules get turned off and the ai coach takes over or something. idk

Other big thing I noticed is the QB progression is working pretty good. With the same pass play being called Punishers QB was throwing to different WR's and it even looked like he might have checked down a couple of times.

I think the new messages about calling the same play needs to be in a different color. So it's not blending in with the actual play call. It was a lil hard to read watching it on dot TV.

By Tecra031
12/22/2016 8:27 am
Not sure if everyone saw the same thing for this sim, but looks like almost everything broke from one week to the next.
- Punting
- Kicking
- Kick/punt returns
- passing accuracy
- random fumbles
- tackling/missed tackles
- 0 defensive pressure
- player speed seemed awfully slow
- etc.

By WarEagle
12/22/2016 9:05 am
Tecra031 wrote:
Not sure if everyone saw the same thing for this sim, but looks like almost everything broke from one week to the next.
- Punting
- Kicking
- Kick/punt returns
- passing accuracy
- random fumbles
- 0 defensive pressure
- etc.

You're right. It looked like everything was broken. Version 0.0001

By JCSwishMan33
12/22/2016 9:05 am
Tecra031 wrote:
- Punting
- Kicking
- Kick/punt returns
- passing accuracy
- random fumbles
- 0 defensive pressure
- etc.

I know I saw a lot of these things in my game... Was going to do a post of my own. :) But I'll just piggy-back here:

- All sides of kicking seem to be borked. 6 missed FGs, 4 missed PATs in my game alone. Had at least 2 FGs where the play-by-play literally listed nothing but the down, distance, ball spot, and time. Also, punts were ridiculously angled and short. Then, there was this punt: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5743#1033131
- Kick returning seemed a little overmuch. One kickoff for each team returned for a TD, and over 330 in kickoff return yards combined.
- Passing accuracy seemed low. Pressure in the secondary definitely looked like it was there, and it seemed like the check downs were used more often, but two intelligent passers that have their accuracies in the high 80's / low 90's should go better than a combined 36-for-66, I'd think.
- I found the fumbles welcome, because they made sense in what context I could pull from dot TV. One was a pitch play where the back had already turned upfield before the pitch. 2 were lost on the QB / RB exchange. And 2 were good defensive hits. neither my QB nor backs are amazing at hanging onto the ball according to their numbers, so again, it made sense.
- I did note a lot of RBs / some WRs able to get away from single tacklers when it seemed like they should be down, but my team is biased towards players of above-average strength across the board... So I can't tell if that was my team's build working, or tackling not. A Yards After Contact / Yards After 1st Hit stat would be key here. Gang tackling was more effective, but there were one or two plays that a ball carrier probably shouldn't have gotten away.
- Comparatively little QB pressure this game. One sack for each team in my game... One was when the QB had already made the decision to turn upfield, and was taken down behind the line. The other the QB should've taken off, but didn't... But I'd still call it more of a coverage sack than anything.
- Trench-play wise, however, it seemed like the running lanes could get covered up well. 16 of the 61 running plays ran by both teams resulted in negative yards... 7 of those were associated with the offense over-using the play.
- The one big thing I noticed, especially on kick returns, was that the overall player speed seemed much slower. I found myself checking the speed slider more than once.

That's all I got for now.

By WarEagle
12/22/2016 9:08 am
JCSwishMan33 wrote:

It could have been worse:

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5751#1034708