NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By trslick
12/14/2016 1:57 pm
When watching these games, I'm always calling plays from habit, to have the ability to do that
would help! I put plays together but half are not used on either side of the ball and as WarEagle
said, you know what to change during a game but can't!

By setherick
12/14/2016 5:31 pm
Tecra031 wrote:
WarEagle wrote:
Another thing that would help is the ability to set some sort of a rule for in-game adjustments.

For example, going in to a game I may have a gameplan that is more run focused. Midway through the 2nd quarter (and often earlier), I realize I'm not going to get anywhere on the ground because my opponent is blitzing 2 or more players right up the middle on every play.

Instead of doing the logical thing and starting to call more pass plays, or PA, I end up finishing the game with 35 carries for 22 yards.

It's very frustrating to watch. The only way to counteract this is to go to a nearly 100% pass offense and hope you beat the blitz every once in a while for a long TD, which is not the way I would like to play this game.

As always, more gameplanning tools would help a great deal.

You should try adjusting your GP Distance Adjustment Speed up a little at a time and see how it works.

Down vote. This isn't what I want because it doesn't explicitly say "these plays aren't working so switch to this game plan". What I want is the ability to have multiple game plans and then based on the flow of the game be able to switch to the alternate one without having to build everything out with rules. I mean, I can build everything out with rules, but that gets old fast. Although, maybe I should just do that since it would be easier to control during a game flow.
Last edited at 12/14/2016 9:50 pm

By CCSAHARA
12/14/2016 9:42 pm
All I know is I yell my *** off at these little fing blips and they NEVER listen!

By JCSwishMan33
12/15/2016 11:02 am
Noticed new text: "The defense seems to be calling that same play a lot." I was on offense.

This was the 3rd time on 4 total calls for the play (Quarter Normal Man Short Zone), which went for 24 yards. This was early in the 4th quarter; the play was called later in the 4th quarter... No text, but the pass was incomplete, so that made sense.

The odd thing was the only 2 other times the play was called were very early in the 1st quarter (12:05 left and 11:58 left), both incompletions... I don't think the offense would be able to key on a play only called twice prior, especially if there was a span of 30 game minutes between the 2nd and 3rd call. The fact that the first two plays were also incompletions also makes it hard to say the offense would -quickly- find a lot of success against it.

By WarEagle
12/15/2016 5:52 pm
I am now convinced the new penalty / message for overusing plays does NOT work.

In my last game, I called the same play 48 times on defense. Not only did the message NEVER appear, but the outcome of the play kept getting better and better in my favor.

The last 8 times I called that play the offense was held to 0 or negative yards, and about 11 out of the last 13. All told 48 times giving up an average of 3.2 yards per play. That's a winning formula!

I'm doing everything I can do just to try to see this Sasquatch of a message one time before the regular season starts and hopefully see the game engine do something to punish me for this type of playcalling, but I don't think it's going to happen.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/15/2016 10:40 pm
For preseason 4 I'm turning off the filter that prevents the 'overuse' message from displaying if the play is not successful to identify whether or not it's actually firing correctly.

By Mr.Krazy
12/15/2016 11:40 pm
WarEagle wrote:

In my last game, I called the same play 48 times on defense. Not only did the message NEVER appear, but the outcome of the play kept getting better and better in my favor.

The last 8 times I called that play the offense was held to 0 or negative yards, and about 11 out of the last 13. All told 48 times giving up an average of 3.2 yards per play. That's a winning formula!

I'm doing everything I can do just to try to see this Sasquatch of a message one time before the regular season starts and hopefully see the game engine do something to punish me for this type of playcalling, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Just out of curiosity, what was the defensive play that was called? Just wondering, because if its a play like the Double LB Blitz or the Attack #1-#3, then that play usually is always successful against the run and pass no matter how many times it's called. At least from my experience.

By ibblacklavender02
12/16/2016 9:20 am
WarEagle wrote:

If it was against me it seemed like we ran the same play over and over as well....one thing I noticed is it seemed like the offense slowed down while the defense sped up...I actually have to check out some stuff because I have no idea why we kept runing the same play over and over

By Beercloud
12/16/2016 7:25 pm
is it possible that the familiarity bonus for knowing a play better is over-riding using the play too much penalty?

By WarEagle
12/16/2016 10:25 pm
Mr.Krazy wrote:
WarEagle wrote:

In my last game, I called the same play 48 times on defense.

Just out of curiosity, what was the defensive play that was called? Just wondering, because if its a play like the Double LB Blitz or the Attack #1-#3, then that play usually is always successful against the run and pass no matter how many times it's called. At least from my experience.

It was one of the Double LB Blitz plays that some teams like to run all the time.

I specifically picked this play because I was hoping the change made to punish a team for over abusing it would be meaningful. It wasn't. Instead it was non-existent.

You're right, there are some plays on D that work nearly every single time, and some owners who love to call nothing but those plays.

If the change JDB is trying to make isn't going to fix that issue with those plays, what's the point in any of it? Something needs to be done because it's ruining this game.

I've been playing this game for years and nothing has made me want to quit more than the constant use of these plays with no negative impact for the offending team.