NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Version 0.4.3 Release Candidate Discussion

By WarEagle
1/13/2018 10:15 pm
I think we are on the same page about the current state of the game.

Your comments seem to back up my general statement that for "all intents and purposes" there is no abuse penalty anymore.

If my D gameplan says that anytime my opponent comes out in the "X" personnel set I am going to blitz 2, then I should get burned more often than not.

By setherick
1/13/2018 10:25 pm
WarEagle wrote:

If my D gameplan says that anytime my opponent comes out in the "X" personnel set I am going to blitz 2, then I should get burned more often than not.

It's certainly what I've been doing to teams in the standard league. My concern is having to re-learn how to offensive game plan after spending most of my time with the beta code crunching data in alpha. For whatever reason, I can't get my Beta-87 team to score more than 14-20 points using a game plan that typically does well. And in MFN-1, I'm not game planning at all except for occasionally swapping a few plays.

By raymattison21
1/13/2018 10:57 pm
As far as exploits go I look at what base code I can use to my advantage . Until those are put in check I will find another way to manipulate the numbers in my favor.

By WarEagle
1/13/2018 11:11 pm
Yep.

That's what this game has devolved into.

Owners that gameplan like they are managing a football team vs owners that gameplan like they are trying to find exploits in the code.

Maybe there should be separate leagues for each type of player. I guess user-created leagues would be good for that, but it may be tough to find 32 owners that want to manage a "football" team.

By raymattison21
1/14/2018 5:09 am
WarEagle wrote:
Yep.

That's what this game has devolved into.

Owners that gameplan like they are managing a football team vs owners that gameplan like they are trying to find exploits in the code.

Maybe there should be separate leagues for each type of player. I guess user-created leagues would be good for that, but it may be tough to find 32 owners that want to manage a "football" team.

Being semi competitive I find personal gratitude playing both ways . Losing the same way vs. Exploits does get under my skin , but in general I know I am headed for an early exit in the play offs.

I lobbied for the elite football league to let every FA touch the market each season . Essentially no contract restructures . One way to help spread talent throughout the league due to the fact of locking down elite talent is easy and get real market value for players but their were no takers . ..so its all an opinion of what is an exploit .

So throwing bombs all day, is just that, not an exploit. Get a 99 rated defense and play cover defense . Someone will stop it. But in reality my hopes are to open up these run lanes vs blitzing defenses that have shut down everything I do anyway.

In other words I like that I can go deep....play deep and let me run again. I most likely will try this model in other leagues to get defenses to back off . To me it is all kinda like real football and not an exploit.....

The problem is Aggressiveness is rewarded heavily on defense here , so if you are only going to leave one deep I will take advantage . Make zone better and I think there will be no problems

By raymattison21
1/15/2018 8:20 pm
setherick wrote:
You missed the bigger point there. There are very few interceptions right now period.

The reason is because QBs are currently being overgenerated. Or more accurately (pun intended), Accuracy is being overgenerated. Since multiple QBs in every draft end up with 100 Accuracy, a league quickly fills up with QBs that have perfect Accuracy.

You would think 87 would follow that same trend. But they have way less high accuracy qbs. Both had the volatility boost in the last few drafts.

I think accuracy was overgenerated seasons ago just like every position was.

My crappy qb with 97 accuracy has a 26 to 1 td /int ratio in 87. So still think the other qbs ratings should play a larger role in throwning interceptions . Along with that 87 hasn't had those monster drafts seasons ago, because there was no 87 when that took place. So wr isn't as flooded with talent as well.

I honestly think those years of monster drafts jaded talent so much that when the passing code was changed to accommodate the influx of players making plays, on both sides of the ball, those changes were stifling to the adjustment back.

There was a time where an offensive tackle threw for three hundred yards. He had very poor skills. I honestly think that whole thing with qb speed and the adjustments made then helped make these current passing anomalies

By Smirt211
1/17/2018 9:10 am
Well, I'm extremely unhappy right now. I don't want to tip too much of what I do for opponents to read but I run 50% run/50% pass for first and 2nd downs including at least 10% for each type of pass with a skew towards long pass. I run all the plays in my offensive playbook equally with no rules put in to run something on repeat, therefore, any play has an equal chance of any singular play showing up and being used. I've scripted an intricate web of over-rides to maximize each play. It truly scares me that in one button push with these changes I'm seeing consistent -20 scoring outputs. I set up this structure awhile back to oppose and combat 'the obliterate everything' blitzes that would shut down nearly everything so you needed speed everywhere in the playmaker positions and to throw long due to heavy losses on blitzing/sacks. Are there going to be re-adjustments and an happy medium or is this it?

By Beercloud
1/17/2018 10:18 am
raymattison21 and I ran a test in our game with him using 3 long pass plays on offense and I used 14 plays on defense. All double WR's and 4 Deep Zones.(no prevent)

I have a pretty good secondary although my nickleback was out injured. But in this test not sure it was much of a factor in results. His QB and WR's are elite with elite speed. (WR speed: 91-94-95-88) against (CB speed: 94-83, S speed: 92-89).

Stats: QB 33-77 771 yds 8 TD 1 Int

Here is my PM to raymattison21. Im sure he'll have a much more detailed observation after he gets a chance to watch the game.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/7569#1365747

I think there is some really good data in there.

It's clear that pass coverages do not work. QB pressure seems like the only way to defend against the pass. And that brings back to blitzing. Which seems like the only way to defend. As blitzing is a way to stop the run as well. I think that the coverages need to be fixed first. Then adjust blitzing accordingly.

But there is some good data here to go through. Good test.
Last edited at 1/17/2018 10:20 am

By raymattison21
1/17/2018 11:26 am
Beercloud wrote:
raymattison21 and I ran a test in our game with him using 3 long pass plays on offense and I used 14 plays on defense. All double WR's and 4 Deep Zones.(no prevent)

I have a pretty good secondary although my nickleback was out injured. But in this test not sure it was much of a factor in results. His QB and WR's are elite with elite speed. (WR speed: 91-94-95-88) against (CB speed: 94-83, S speed: 92-89).

Stats: QB 33-77 771 yds 8 TD 1 Int

Here is my PM to raymattison21. Im sure he'll have a much more detailed observation after he gets a chance to watch the game.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/7569#1365747

I think there is some really good data in there.

It's clear that pass coverages do not work. QB pressure seems like the only way to defend against the pass. And that brings back to blitzing. Which seems like the only way to defend. As blitzing is a way to stop the run as well. I think that the coverages need to be fixed first. Then adjust blitzing accordingly.

But there is some good data here to go through. Good test.

My main observation / question might be is player speed effected by play abuse ? Or route ? My guys win the jump ball about half the time but get ran down by slower dbs as the passes are abused .

And to add to abuse I ran the same defense plays and they seem to get better as the game goes on. Especially as the offense is forced to pass late in 4th quarter . Let me remind you the averages are not great 5 plus per play but most of my sacks and ints come in the 4th quarter .

And I wish I had more time to evaluate but I am moving and starting a new job so my time here is spent watching the game and a quick observational type up.

Still, visual coverage looks great(not zone) then at the last second the dbs seem to stop in thier tracks.

By mardn72
1/17/2018 11:29 am
Beercloud wrote:

This is a really interesting test. I wish those results weren't so positive though. I hope JDB can take the time to watch this film and come up with a way to stop it.