NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version 09d60821

By Infinity on Trial
9/14/2020 11:19 am
In summary: QBs can't complete passes to WRs more than a couple of yards downfield with any regularity, and sacks had to be all but eliminated to avoid completely destroying the passing game.

I still favor releasing the beta code in its current form (especially if drops have been corrected), but those are problems that should eventually be fixed.

By raymattison21
9/14/2020 1:12 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11980#2233386

This is later that game and the offensive formation is the same but it is a short pass instead of a long.

Similar results....the blitz call is above 5 times called by now and prior 3 RB set passes have had better results vs. this 8 man blitz only cause the RB on the weak side picked up the WLB.

So far the two calls that matchup like this (presnap alginment) have had the same results.

I have not run too many big sets in the beta test. So all this is valuable info for me for a release but with our blitz heavy scheme our pass defense falls apart late in the game anyway. This is expected as The play abuse penalties makes man tougher to shut down passing even if receivers are tightly covered.

Even with play abuse , with out proper blitz pickups the QBs are still not making good reads or the receivers are not getting open quick enough .

There have been discussions of QBs audibles putting in a new play as these overloaded blitzes , whether it be 5 vs 6, 6vs 7 or 7. vs 8 had similar results. Not all the time but the blitz pickups were off if there was no clear back available on the blitzed side to pick up the blitz.

Before the rate of failure for pass blocking was raised , the last code change, I got most of my 3-4 and 4-3 blitzing LB sacks this way. NBs were able to sneak through as well. The admiral was running that scheme for a few games ... he still may be now?

I enjoyed it and it’s still here in this version (you proved it here) at a much lower rate. This was the best part of this release but also the worst. One can blitz a lot and get pressure but it may not be intuitive as one might expect that back to slide over at times or just get open in the flats. The qb could rollout and throw it away...

Still worth a release to me But we will need more pressure for sacks to look right. But how do you up pressure and lower ints easily? They are so intertwined....... pass release is already the third most valuable passing rating and courage is valuable on both sides.

I would hate to move forward knowing these stats are off...especially if there’s an easy fix. Icing on the cake would be QBs running and the play abuse meter lessened a bit... oh yeah and the drops / knockdowns to fall back in line

By Infinity on Trial
9/14/2020 1:29 pm
I don't think anybody wants to see us go back to sack city, especially when there are lingering problems with passing efficiency, but it would be nice to know if there were some reward to the risk/reward gamble of a blitz.

By TheAdmiral
9/14/2020 5:31 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
This is a good example of how to create pressure under this code.

I don't think you should have to use a seven or eight man rush from a goal line plan to generate pressure.

Putting 8 in the box is often used in the NFL on short yardage situations (well it is by Seattle anyway)

By TheAdmiral
9/14/2020 5:35 pm
Anyway, just put this together for Legends to rank the best DB/secondary players over the 6 seasons to date.

Minimum requirement was to have allowed at least 100 passes (this rules out most outliers and seems to give a good indication of the better DB's in the League.

All feedback would be appreciated. I intend to convert this to season by season and look at all my Leagues and probably MFN-1. It should just be a matter of copy and past so shouldn't take too long (famous last words)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15FRUBG6GSow8S1rXGUDLW9zwIGZhv-GbgiegQvGG-xo/edit?usp=sharing

By Infinity on Trial
9/14/2020 5:36 pm
TheAdmiral wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
This is a good example of how to create pressure under this code.

I don't think you should have to use a seven or eight man rush from a goal line plan to generate pressure.

Putting 8 in the box is often used in the NFL on short yardage situations (well it is by Seattle anyway)

The point is no LB can generate pressure in this game except from a GL set. Obviously, no one in the NFL blitzes eight guys on first and 10 from midfield.

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2020 8:26 am
Combined QB stat line for playoff game with Ray:

48/68 (70.5%) for 432 yards (6.26 per attempt), 1 interception, 1 sack, 10 knockdowns, 8 drops

The sack was on a deep pass, which is typical.

Casual observation: Ball carry is the only thing that matters for a RB now?

By raymattison21
9/16/2020 9:02 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11985#2234296

Here’s one of the only two pressures all game by the WLB the same way with same set of offensive and defensive plays.

I get the blitz pickups. 8 rushers and 6 blockers but..... the FB blocks as well and is the only player targeted every time we picked this play. Sometimes it the dragging TE but not recently.... all it is now is it still is to the blocking FB when these two plays matchup. The worst part of this is the open guys are never thrown to. Just look at the TE3 running the flag....wide open almost every time.

If you want to run this PA pass it better not be vs this defense. And there would have been zero hurries all game without this scenario.

The only reason pass blocking has to be so low is broke plays like this.

By Smirt211
9/16/2020 9:06 am
It's feast or famine.

My experience is if you get too over-powered in your knowledge of the PA Drag it'll mis-fire it into the middle of the line of scrimmage. However, there's the ability with all that pressure for it to quick strike to the right and with proper set-up connect with a touchdown.

It's an all or nothing play. Mostly it fails but when it hits - lights out.

You're more technical than me but when you see that hot read like we did here and it laser roped right into the middle of the pack. I think the other way displays as hot read, too but it'll connect out of the back field in a swooping lightning motion and GO.

Last edited at 9/16/2020 9:09 am

By raymattison21
9/16/2020 9:14 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11985#2234287

Here’s the sack. I get it long pass play equals sack but why it happens is even worse .

The RT picks up the blitzing LB and let’s the LDE a free shot at the QB . I get that the back has to be intelligent but thats his man to pick up. I don’t know what he does....So no one but the LDE gets through and without this sack there was no sacks on either QB all game.

From the hurry play earlier there’s now Two broke sets of plays deciding game outcomes. This was a momentum turning 4th and two.