NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: updates for 0.4.1

By setherick
1/07/2017 11:18 am
raymattison21 wrote:
setherick wrote:
But, wait, there's more. On this play watch the battle between the center and defensive tackle on this play. The DT is driving west on the C, pushing him back toward the running back. As soon as the RB gets to the LOS, somehow the C and the DT swap places so now the DT has to drive the C east to try and catch the RB: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5861#1054796

I saw multiple of these types of blocks throughout the game. It looks like it happens every play, including passing plays where the pass is completed downfield and the DL turns to pursue. This is completely preventing the DL from being able to actively pursue the ball carrier. This must be fixed. Preferably by the next sim.

This is the only reason I said turn down blocking, but my ends are nerfed in the run game right now.

I want to reevaluate it once JDB fixes the Mad Hatter "switch places" bug. It may be fine. right now the OL can basically trap the entire front 7 once the RB gets past the LOS.

Regarding playbooks. Why should the number of plays be limited at all? It should be a performance problem to have an unlimited number of play slots.
Last edited at 1/07/2017 11:37 am

By raymattison21
1/07/2017 11:50 am
setherick wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:
setherick wrote:
But, wait, there's more. On this play watch the battle between the center and defensive tackle on this play. The DT is driving west on the C, pushing him back toward the running back. As soon as the RB gets to the LOS, somehow the C and the DT swap places so now the DT has to drive the C east to try and catch the RB: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5861#1054796

I saw multiple of these types of blocks throughout the game. It looks like it happens every play, including passing plays where the pass is completed downfield and the DL turns to pursue. This is completely preventing the DL from being able to actively pursue the ball carrier. This must be fixed. Preferably by the next sim.

This is the only reason I said turn down blocking, but my ends are nerfed in the run game right now.

I want to reevaluate it once JDB fixes the Mad Hatter "switch places" bug. It may be fine. right now the OL can basically trap the entire front 7 once the RB gets past the LOS.

To me this is visually impaired . The player had position from both angles of view . They are just displayed jumpy....in an as if he did that, but all the little movements in between are missing.

But to me it a block held very long. In real football an effective block can be 7 seconds like now or it can be .7 seconds, perfect positioning at the right moments .

Play calls and rules within those assignments dictates whether a block should be held for a period of time in a 3D space.

Here we are pretty flat in terms of what is effectiveness. Simply its a long block. Not a stalk, chip, kick out , or a chuck all have different times in which they are considered effective.

Untill, rules within assignments are added blocks need to be short, as I feel strength is what helps you hold them longer . ...speaking with 100 skill.

I watched Hedman a rookie DE in 75 destroy my left tackle in the run game....8 tackles. Technically my player was better but less physically gifted. It was ok and fun to watch , but here I cannot say what is going on with line play.

Except don't abuse, and these mad hatters or long blocks lower the gang tackles . ..that's what we lost. Its more like one two or three guys instead of 3 ,4,or 5.

For nonsense reasons the term "mad hatter" is related to mercury poisoning . A day care my daughter went to was near an old quicksilver mine. ....sorry pointless
Last edited at 1/07/2017 11:50 am

By setherick
1/07/2017 2:08 pm
I agree that the run block was held way too long on the play, but I have only seen this "switch places" issue in MFN-1 after the code updates. I have not seen it in other leagues. But the reason why we haven't seen it in other leagues is that the OL stops blocking altogether in other leagues as soon as the defender disengages. What I think happened here is when JDB went to fix the disengagement issue, he accidentally introduced a bigger issue where OL now never stop blocking. There has to be a middle point between the two.

By WarEagle
1/07/2017 7:03 pm
setherick wrote:

Regarding playbooks. Why should the number of plays be limited at all?

I was going to ask this as well. No real teams, even college, go into a game with only 40 available plays for offense and 30 for defense.

By WarEagle
1/07/2017 7:06 pm
I'm ready to see play familiarity done away with all together.

It's takes way way way way way too long to learn plays, especially on defense.

Therefore, you are always being penalized on every play for lack of familiarity.

By CCSAHARA
1/07/2017 10:27 pm
My team has a full compliment of plays in the playbook. Yet see the WARING that play is called to much. [ 4 times in a row on defense end result a TD] So I assume that my team is being penalized for overcalling a play. IF you have no control over what plays are called and you get penalized that may be costing you wins. What’s the point? I like the idea of it, but it seems to have some major issues with it at this point.

By WarEagle
1/07/2017 11:09 pm
You do have some control over it via the gameplanning matrix and/or rules.
Last edited at 1/07/2017 11:09 pm

By CCSAHARA
1/08/2017 1:12 pm
How do you control how many times a play is called? And how many times in a row that play is called?

By setherick
1/08/2017 1:14 pm
CCSAHARA wrote:
How do you control how many times a play is called? And how many times in a row that play is called?

By making sure your personnel packages, run/pass percentages, and down/distance percentages don't over favor plays.

By WarEagle
1/08/2017 5:02 pm
setherick wrote:
CCSAHARA wrote:

By making sure your personnel packages, run/pass percentages, and down/distance percentages don't over favor plays.

That ^^^^

Plus, you can't. You just have to hope the dice rolls don't keep coming up with the same play.

The more "available" plays for that situation, the more likely you will be calling a decent mix of plays. But, in the end which one of those "available" plays gets called is still just random.